PDA

View Full Version : The worst part about taking vacation...

yqtszhj
07-08-2013, 06:10 AM
Going back to work. ARGGG.... :mad:

Bawanna
07-08-2013, 09:19 AM
I think the worst part is getting ready if your going someplace. That's where I am now. Would be much easier to just stay home and watch the grass grow.

I was used up yesterday, getting the little boat ready, travel trailer that I don't even go in, all the crap the wife insist on always bring that we never use.

An then top it all off with a birthday party for #3 son. Suppose to be family dinner, but a dozen of his buddies show up and I was ordered to bbq ribs.
Nice relaxing party my backside.

CharlieW
07-08-2013, 09:26 AM
The best part about taking vacation...

Coming back home in retirement, and not having to go back to work! ;)

ltxi
07-08-2013, 03:52 PM
The best part about taking vacation...

Coming back home in retirement, and not having to go back to work! ;)

Well, that would be me. But I agree with Bawanna at the moment......"Would be much easier to just stay home and watch the grass grow."

Wife's decided it would be nice to spend a few days in Maine late next month. Doesn't sound too awful, right? 'Cept she wants me to drive the truck up there so's we/she can buy stuff for me to haul back while she gets to just fly in and out. See, she's working and can't afford the road trip time (which she mostly dislikes anyway) while I have all the time in the world at that point. I put in a long, solid 52 years in the work force for this? :rain:

Bawanna
07-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Well, that would be me. But I agree with Bawanna at the moment......"Would be much easier to just stay home and watch the grass grow."

Wife's decided it would be nice to spend a few days in Maine late next month. Doesn't sound too awful, right? 'Cept she wants me to drive the truck up there so's we/she can buy stuff for me to haul back while she gets to just fly in and out. See, she's working and can't afford the road trip time (which she mostly dislikes anyway) while I have all the time in the world at that point. I put in a long, solid 52 years in the work force for this? :rain:

Every cloud has a lead lining (I screwed that up didn't I?) You get that whole drive to yourself to be your own man with no navigation or back seat driving. You go when you want, stop when you want, turn left when you want, turn right when you want, don't have to stop at every shop with glitter in the windows, ask directions if you feel like it but not if you don't want to.

Maine, that's the only drawback.. Anything there but lobsters?

I think I was meant to be a hermit, I like the idea of being my own boss. I have to wonder what that would be like.

Edit to add- wait,......COLORADO to MAINE????:eek: That's a far piece dude?

Tell her UPS is her friend, sent the nicknaks home and save the drive.

ltxi
07-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Every cloud has a lead lining (I screwed that up didn't I?) You get that whole drive to yourself to be your own man with no navigation or back seat driving. You go when you want, stop when you want, turn left when you want, turn right when you want, don't have to stop at every shop with glitter in the windows, ask directions if you feel like it but not if you don't want to.

Maine, that's the only drawback.. Anything there but lobsters?

I think I was meant to be a hermit, I like the idea of being my own boss. I have to wonder what that would be like.

Edit to add- wait,......COLORADO to MAINE????:eek: That's a far piece dude?

Tell her UPS is her friend, sent the nicknaks home and save the drive.

Now you gots the drawback picture!!! 2100/2200 miles as I recall. And that's to southern Maine. Done it before over the years and last did that run two years ago but we had other stuff going on out and back.

We both like Maine. Wife's a native NE coastie and I'd spent a fair bit of my life living in New Hampshire. We tend to find not small stuff we like to drag back...like the rebar/engine parts/sheet metal moose sculpture that's been living in the back yard since July 2002. And the old "Fresh Catch" roadside restaurant sign we found just outside Bangor one year, now on our back deck. And.......

Now, none of this crap could ever be entrusted to UPS/FedEx/whatever, don'tcha see. And the truck's got to be the vehicle that goes 'cause Moose, now a family member, would never have fit in a car trunk so omg, what if.....

I'd mind it less if she'd done given my more than about a month's notice.

MikeyKahr
07-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Long stretch of LGSs to peruse on a trip like that!

RevRay
07-08-2013, 04:32 PM
wait,......COLORADO to MAINE????:eek: That's a far piece dude?.

That distance just makes your point even stronger. The only thing better would be to drive all the from California without a backseat driver.

ltxi
07-08-2013, 05:08 PM
That distance just makes your point even stronger. The only thing better would be to drive all the from California without a backseat driver.

There be some serious wisdom in that. Fact be though, as a retiring, seriously for decades road warrior I was really looking forward to just sitting back and scratching my ass for at least few/six months or more before having to live a couple of weeks plus out of hotels while grabbing food on the run.

Bawanna
07-08-2013, 05:18 PM
I have to wonder how do you know what moose or sign or rebar engine to load if you don't have your navigator on board? All these items are at the destination, not along the parade route?

I could handle being a road warrior alone, with much cash, no itinerary, no course plotted. Be better with hearing and legs but I could manage.

I've actually dreamed of an open ended road trip to visit all my kahrtalk pals. It would be quite a trip, the museum in Georgia?, Old Lincoln in California (short visit, get in and out), Greg in AZ. Wynn down in Florida, Jfootin, and all the folks up in Carolinaville, even Jocko in the horse head capital of the world. Nephew in Nashville, the boss in Missouri along with about 300 cousins and relatives. Be a hell of a trip.

ltxi
07-08-2013, 05:35 PM
I have to wonder how do you know what moose or sign or rebar engine to load if you don't have your navigator on board? All these items are at the destination, not along the parade route?

I could handle being a road warrior alone, with much cash, no itinerary, no course plotted. Be better with hearing and legs but I could manage.

I've actually dreamed of an open ended road trip to visit all my kahrtalk pals. It would be quite a trip, the museum in Georgia?, Old Lincoln in California (short visit, get in and out), Greg in AZ. Wynn down in Florida, Jfootin, and all the folks up in Carolinaville, even Jocko in the horse head capital of the world. Nephew in Nashville, the boss in Missouri along with about 300 cousins and relatives. Be a hell of a trip.

Yup....

Past the bold.....Had those thoughts years ago. They now be a casualty of 41 years on the road. The first two/three years, '72--'75 were a new guy wet dream come true. Got old after that. Still enjoy road trips, with sanity and forethought. Just prefer them to be on my non-schedule/terms.

Wife's now holding new Wilson order hostage. Ahhh...this gonna get down and dirty...

RevRay
07-08-2013, 05:37 PM

After my previous post, I got to thinking how nice it would be to do a couple of weeks traveling by myself. I love my wife, but I can't remember when the last time was that I had some time to myself to do whatever I wanted to do that was legally and morally acceptable.

Bawanna
07-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Yup....

Past the bold.....Had those thoughts years ago. They now be a casualty of 41 years on the road. The first two/three years, '72--'75 were a new guy wet dream come true. Got old after that. Still enjoy road trips, with sanity and forethought. Just prefer them to be on my non-schedule/terms.

Wife's now holding new Wilson order hostage. Ahhh...this gonna get down and dirty...

Aww I forgot about the Wilson order. Women can fight so nasty........

This really could get ugly.

jocko
07-08-2013, 05:51 PM
bestway to get around thatis to marry a butt ugly womanand ur already past that bad part.Just sayin

ltxi
07-08-2013, 06:03 PM
After my previous post, I got to thinking how nice it would be to do a couple of weeks traveling by myself. I love my wife, but I can't remember when the last time was that I had some time to myself to do whatever I wanted to do that was legally and morally acceptable.

Honestly, we have both appreciated our "own time" when my schedule allowed only three or four days contiguous travel every month to month and a half. 'Cept for the last few years, though, there haven't been many of these. Out of our 26/27 years together wife has had to put up with me on the road over half time for 20 or better. My previous two marriages failed much due that. 'Cept back in those days my travel was more like three weeks or more month average.

Alfonse
07-08-2013, 06:03 PM
I either never get a vacation, or everyday is a vacation.

ltxi
07-08-2013, 06:05 PM
bestway to get around thatis to marry a butt ugly womanand ur already past that bad part.Just sayin

I tried that. It didn't work for either of us. Eventually, I got my freedom and she got the horny dog.

Bawanna
07-08-2013, 07:22 PM
My issue is I'm perfectly content where I am most of the time. She wants to go, go, go and I want to stay, stay, stay.

She says you wanna go to x, I say no, then find myself behind the wheel driving to x.

The words that make me absolutely cringe are wanna do something fun?

This usually assures it will not be fun, it won't make good sense and will cause an extremely large sum of money that could otherwise be used for useful things like bill, credit card debt, or something that last forever like guns.

I keep telling myself there's gonna be far more no's coming from me and me sticking to it but so far it just ain't happening yet.

yqtszhj
07-08-2013, 07:34 PM

My thoughts exactly. I would go to itxi's area and spend 2 days camping on top of a mountain all alone. The go spend 2 days in the desert. Then go where ever I want. Eat what I want to eat. Where do I pee? Behind the tree, where do I take a crap? Behind a tree. Where do I eat? Under a different tree. No one would be around to bother me.

Wife wants to go visit family in California, New York, friend in Maryland, no where I want to go.

Bawanna
07-08-2013, 07:41 PM
My thoughts exactly. I would go to itxi's area and spend 2 days camping on top of a mountain all alone. The go spend 2 days in the desert. Then go where ever I want. Eat what I want to eat. Where do I pee? Behind the tree, where do I take a crap? Behind a tree. Where do I eat? Under a different tree. No one would be around to bother me.

Wife wants to go visit family in California, New York, friend in Maryland, no where I want to go.

Aww man, that's 3 of the worst destinations I could every have nightmares about. You have my condolences. Seriously.

ltxi
07-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Well, after a week of digesting the unexpected vacation mandate, I guess I'm on board with it. By direction.

Our July trip to a PA family reunion got cancelled due to distant end medical issues. I'd just settled into the notion of simply being able to kick back all summer when this came up. Wife says, "We were going to do Maine next year anyway, so....".

Don't have to point out the obvious trap in this logic, do I?

Anyway, locked down dog child boarding and begged my way into reservations at a favorite B&B up that way so I guess I'm stuck with fun in Vacation Land plus eight or nine days of at my leisure road trip wandering. I suppose life could be worse.

Plus I get to get back to planning the Wilson.

MikeyKahr
07-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Safe travels and enjoy the trip ltxi. See you at jockos house in five days. You bring the ice cream, I'll bring the toilet paper.

ltxi
07-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Ain't leaving until mid-late next month. By then jocko may be a certified donor and we won't need the toilet paper.

RevRay
07-09-2013, 06:40 PM

Ouch ... those are three places that should never again be used in the same sentence on KahrTalk.

RevRay
07-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Ain't leaving until mid-late next month. By then jocko may be a certified donor and we won't need the toilet paper.

BTW, if you come through Connecticut, and you want a place to hang your hat one more time before the last leg up to Maine. Let me know. I live a couple miles of I-84 about 15 miles east of Hartford.

mr surveyor
07-14-2013, 04:43 PM
for me ... two weeks and counting until blast-off for Alaska

ltxi
07-14-2013, 07:01 PM
BTW, if you come through Connecticut, and you want a place to hang your hat one more time before the last leg up to Maine. Let me know. I live a couple miles of I-84 about 15 miles east of Hartford.

Hartford has been a staple on my "passin' through" in and out of northern NE since 1975....from where ever I started.....CA/CO/OH/NH/NJ over the years.

If I get run down up by your way, I may just take you up on the offer.

The whole road trip thing is different this time. It's taken some mental getting used to. I'm accustomed to trading off personal time against work obligations and attempting to maximize/optimize both. As of 1 August I no longer have a regular day job to concern myself with for the first time in 52 years and 24 days. So....who the hell cares how how long it takes to get to, get back from, or poke around along the way. I'm finding this concept to be really cool!