PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Handgun

n8tureboy
04-23-2010, 08:40 PM
A gun that could take down a grizzly bear in the Rockies, a rhino on the African plains, or a polar bear in the Alaskan wilderness. What would be your choice? Make/model/caliber. No long guns, handguns only. The Ultimate Peacemaker! :D

Bawanna
04-23-2010, 08:58 PM
S&W 460. Probably 6"

kahr360
04-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Titanium frame and slide.
Single action
Grip and trigger safeties,
Firing pin block,
No manual safety,
Luminous sites that last indefinitely (not 10 years like tritium)
2 shot burst capable.
Chambered in 5.7x28 30 round extended magazines.
Non-moving barrel design (so suppressors work with 100% reliability)

That would be my ultimate pistol.

ripley16
04-24-2010, 07:41 AM
A gun that could take down a grizzly bear in the Rockies, a rhino on the African plains, or a polar bear in the Alaskan wilderness. What would be your choice? Make/model/caliber. No long guns, handguns only. The Ultimate Peacemaker! :D

I'm not sure one exists. Seriously, I'd want a big damn rifle for a grizzly or rhino. There's no comparing any pistol to a high powered big game rifle.

jlottmc
04-24-2010, 07:43 AM
A pair of Smith 500's with the 4" barrels... Having said that the 8 3/8 barrel has dropped a Cape Buffalo.

jlottmc
04-24-2010, 08:10 AM
I fear far too many. If I had to be limited to a pistol and not an M82A1 in either 416, or 50 BMG for those, then I'd want the 500's. I do like to play with them.

Bawanna
04-24-2010, 11:05 AM
:) Ah , yes. But, I would love to see the stat's on how many guy's with a pistol in their hand have been "dropped " by Cape Buffalo, Grizzly, Polar, & Rhino. :D

Wheres your sense of adventure? Do keep a bed open though, murphy follows me quite closely.

I prefer the 460 over the 500 because of the ammo versatility, 45colt, 454 casull or the 460. I can afford to shoot 45 colt once in awhile. Plus the accuracy and range capabilities of the 460, nice. They be a dang definite handful though I don't care who you are.
Given the option though which of course we weren't in the original thread and I'm not sure he meant it had to be a dangerous animal gun although that's the way I read it, I'd take a good Rigby, 416 would be about right.

wyntrout
04-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Does Barrett make a handgun? Have any Rhinos been dropped with a handgun?? especially those charging... complete with horn?:eek:
Inquiring minds would like to know.:)
If you try that, I would recommend Depends... with reloads... if you survive the encounter.
Wynn:D

jeep45238
04-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Grizzly, Polar, or similar sized animal - no thanks on a handgun. I'll take a .30 caliber or larger rifle, semi automatic, with a minimum 8 shot capacity.

Smaller sized animals, such as black bear or cougars, I'll take a .460 Rowland full size M&P. Deer or smaller, .45ACP minimum, but I'd probably still use the .460 M&P.

Bawanna
04-24-2010, 12:46 PM
:) When the GRIZZLY charges. I don't have to outrun IT. I just have to outrun BAWANNA !!!! :D

Didn't think of that, definitely food for thought and the griz too. Me thinks an extra battery and maybe a turbo charger for this chair is in order.

jlottmc
04-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Grizzly can climb trees until they get to about 350-400 pounds right? I may have to rethink my hiding spot.

Bawanna
04-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Grizzly can climb trees until they get to about 350-400 pounds right? I may have to rethink my hiding spot.

I don't do trees much anymore. Guess I better be rethinking possible hiding spots or just figure out a way to be faster than ryoung. Wonder how fast he is with a hungry grizz in hot pursuit. Pretty dog gone fast me thinks. Maybe I better forget my sense of adventure and just wait in the truck?

jlottmc
04-24-2010, 04:34 PM
I got a better idea. We're all armed right? As I run I'll shoot him in the knee, hopefully he has gummy bears and the Grizz'll leave him be while I keep running. I won't be hard to find, just follow the school girl scream and the brown trial... Maybe the bear'll get tired and leave me alone after that, or maybe it'll stop and ask what I've been eating...

Bawanna
04-24-2010, 04:39 PM
I got a better idea. We're all armed right? As I run I'll shoot him in the knee, hopefully he has gummy bears and the Grizz'll leave him be while I keep running. I won't be hard to find, just follow the school girl scream and the brown trial... Maybe the bear'll get tired and leave me alone after that, or maybe it'll stop and ask what I've been eating...

That works! What color gummy bears you think would work best. And what have you been eating?
I feel like I ate something not too good but does it get me out of the pressure washing chore, No way Jose. I'm gone for awhile. Maybe she'll give me a gummy bear to sustain myself while I"m wearing down the cement with the water blaster.

Peace out.

Armybrat
04-24-2010, 07:44 PM
One handgun?

Easy....a Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull....

http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedhawkAlaskan/images/5301.jpg

This guy's experience in killing a charging Brown Bear is pretty compelling:

http://www.takdriver.com/showthread.php?t=723

wyntrout
04-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Wow! What a story. Thanks for the post. The .454 Casull came to mind, but I had to look up the .460 S&W Magnum... watched one fired on YouTube... awesome. Big gun, though.
The Alaskan revolver looks perfect for self-defense carry, as it was used in this instance. I wonder if he carried reloads.

Bawanna
04-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Wow! What a story. Thanks for the post. The .454 Casull came to mind, but I had to look up the .460 S&W Magnum... watched one fired on YouTube... awesome. Big gun, though.
The Alaskan revolver looks perfect for self-defense carry, as it was used in this instance. I wonder if he carried reloads.

One of the detectives at work actually fished with that guy in alaska before this event. He's scheduled for another trip later this year. Hoping to get some more first hand information.
I was told and I think he mentioned that he never really even had time to aim, just got very lucky. Lucky indeed and a wise man to grab that gun to walk his dog.

wyntrout
04-25-2010, 10:52 AM
At 41.25 ounces, that's a sturdy, "compact" revolver and a six-shooter!
The New Super Redhawk Alaskan (http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/rgrRH/)
I think that my S&W 645 weighs only about 43 ounces loaded with 8+1.

wyntrout
04-25-2010, 11:09 AM
454 Casull Factory Ammo Performance (http://www.levergun.com/articles/454_factoryammo.htm)

I was looking for a little info on the cartridge and this was the first thing I saw. RELOADERS take heed. There are a lot of factors to consider in reloading and while you may be saving money, you are betting your life that you have put together a cylinderful or magazineful of ammo that will fire every time and remain intact during repeated firings and the heavy recoil of preceeding rounds.
This is even more important with revolvers if cannelured bullets and SUFFICIENT crimp aren't used. With the heavy recoil of the .454 and other stout or lesser cartridges the bullet can begin pulling out of the case and block the cylinder rotation. This could be more than a little embarrassing if faced by the threat this guy had... or even two-legged varmints. That 41+ ounce revolver might feel like a good sized rock, but that bear wouldn't have been impressed. A GOOD factory ammunition that's consistent in performance and that has been put together to withstand heavy recoil would serve you much better in defensive use.
You've all seen or used those inertial bullet-pullers... the same thing is going on with each discharge... it's physics: action/reaction and inertia.
I included the link for this article mainly for the 'bullet-pulling" warning, not the tests and so on.

jlottmc
04-25-2010, 12:26 PM
That would work too, maybe in .480 Ruger (yes they make that very pistol in .480 Ruger/.475 Linebaugh). Personally, I like the 500's and a couple of reloads. The 454 though is a mighty fine choice. Although I still have a mighty nice place in my heart for a 44 mag (they used to make that Ruger in that, dropped it for a year or two, then I think brought it back). In reality, a .357 magnum loaded with 180gr jhp's would be the smallest I'd take. Anything bigger than that and stoked with GOOD MAGNUM ammo would do the job. Then again, why not, I need more guns, and that is a mighty nice feel good tool in that environment. Just my musings...

swampman
04-25-2010, 03:32 PM
.454 ruger super redhawk and 7.5 inch barrel,it will take everything on the north american continet and most things on the african continet :)

wyntrout
04-26-2010, 11:19 AM
That grizzly incident took place on August 2, 2009.
Twig snap alerts dog-walker to charging grizzly: Bear Attacks | adn.com (http://www.adn.com/2009/08/13/897940/twig-snap-alerts-dog-walker-to.html)
The guy only got off about 3 shots... no aiming.

Bawanna
04-26-2010, 11:26 AM
That grizzly incident took place on August 2, 2009.
Twig snap alerts dog-walker to charging grizzly: Bear Attacks | adn.com (http://www.adn.com/2009/08/13/897940/twig-snap-alerts-dog-walker-to.html)
The guy only got off about 3 shots... no aiming.

I think I better get a dog and train it to bite me if he hears a twig snap. Hearing only slightly better than a stump I fear I'd have been bear scat in this situation. Not my idea of a good time to say the least. I didn't look at the video as I recalled seeing it before but as I recall the bear was very old, had no teeth but was huge. I'm thinking I'm old, in a wheelchair with not too many teeth, fair match? Nope, not even close, I yield to the bear. I'm thinking some sort of secure conveyance will be my choice in the north country, a Hummer with thick windows, I can check their tonsils as they're drooling on the side glass picturing me as a tasty morsel or perhaps a twinkie?

wyntrout
04-26-2010, 11:43 AM
An up-armored hummer, maybe. Bears like that aren't deterred by flimsy cars or houses. I've never seen a "wild" bear on the loose and I would just as soon keep it that way. I want to stay out of tasting range. I'm afraid that I couldn't play dead if one was pawing or chewing on me.:eek: It would know when I was dead 'cause only then would the screaming would stop.

wyntrout
04-26-2010, 12:00 PM
My wife likes to use Post-Its. She was on the screened back porch (lanai) having a cup of coffee and smoking when I went out to join her a while before she goes to work. She had one of those looks like something's wrong. I asked her what was wrong and she pointed at the Palmetto Bug on the outside of the screen. if she sees a tiny dead roach inside the house, it's like she wants to call out the National Guard... for a dead bug. I have poison out and spray outside once in a while.
She left less than an hour ago for work and I just looked out the back door. There's a Post-it on the door inline with the "roach" outside.
I'm always telling her, that if the house were to catch on fire, she would leave a Post-It and exit without telling me. Pix:
A palmetto Bug is some kind of big roach, I guess. they get over two inches or so. You want to leave them alone or kill them quickly because the emit a strong stinky smell as a defense.:eek: