PDA

View Full Version : It says that ... where?

aray
04-24-2010, 12:30 AM
So as I posted last night (http://kahrtalk.com/p-cw-series-pistols/1988-cw9-these-things-hard-find-just-me.html#post20661) I'm trying to find a new CW9 to purchase and having a very hard time finding one.

I'm going to get a CW9 anyway, but I do have a question about the ammunition permitted by Kahr. Everyone keeps saying that the CW9 is designed to accept +P rounds. Even the reviews in the trade magazines that Kahr links to say that.

But where does Kahr itself say that the CW9 is a +P capable handgun? I've searched their web site and their hardcopy catalog and I just can't seem to find it anywhere. Now perhaps I'm just overlooking it somewhere, but can anyone point me to a reference from Kahr that says they can accept the higher pressures of the more powerful load?

Thanks.

wyntrout
04-24-2010, 01:15 AM
Kahr Arms / Q & A (http://www.kahr.com/OR-4.html#q4)

Under Kahr FAQ's Q#4

* Q. Which ammunition is recommended for use with Kahr firearms?

A. Kahr Arms does not endorse any particular brand of ammunition. However, not every brand of ammunition produces the same results. Please check the markings on the barrel hood of your firearm to determine the proper caliber. Kahr suggests a visit to a pistol range to test fire different brands of ammunition in the proper caliber. Kahr cautions against the use of reloads. Lead (unjacketed) bullets can cause excessive fouling and extra attention to cleaning the bore is recommended after firing lead bullets. The Kahr pistol is rated to +P.

This is where I bought my last Kahr. Familiarize yourself with the Rules, but clicking on the item # to the left lets you see the BuyNow price.
I communicated with the dealer and asked if he would drop the CC fee, and I would go ahead with the BuyNow price. He changed the BuyNow to include free shipping which saved me a few more bucks than the CC fee. This may or may not work with every dealer.
Around $400 plus shipping seems like a decent price, but it's not my money and you may be able to do better. Use the site's FFL dealer list to find a low-fee dealer near you to receive the gun for you.
You can also Google "Kahr CW9" and see what you can find. Make sure the dealer has one in stock before you commit to buy anywhere. Check for CC fees and there is always a shipping fee, unless that's stated as included.
Good hunting.
Wynn:)
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx?Keywords=kahr%20CW9&Cat=978

aray
04-24-2010, 01:58 AM
Thanks! I had looked a few times but somehow had just overlooked that. I very much appreciate your reply.

jocko
04-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks! I had looked a few times but somehow had just overlooked that. I very much appreciate your reply.

most of the defense 9mm is +P rated, another reason why most all 9's willshoot +P. U need not worry with a kahr, it is built like a brick sh-thouse and you can shoot it until the cows come home.

Unless u filthy rich, you won't shoot alot of +P ammo anyway. onc eyou ge the gun broken in good and find the defense roud of your liking and test it out for reliability etc, you will settle down to less shooting of +P ammo, as it is a very expensive round and for just paper punching, u willbe looking for the lowest price range fodder u can find.

I would say this, once you get the defense round of your liking , buy up a few boxes and if u carry it alot, etc, at least once a month shoot out that defense round loaded magazine and start with new fresh stuff again. error on the side of caution so to say. Kahrs are normally not ammo sensitive either, so they willshoot damn near anything that goes nto the pipe. Mne certainly will and was that way from day 1..

welcome aboard here to, great guys. when u get that kahr, u might want to hit on the kahr tech section and then the thread of PROPER PREPPING OF YOURNEW KAHR. Might help u out some.. The CW9 IMOis jsut one awesome semi, and priced excellent to. Just costs u an arm, and not an arm and a leg. We will be wating to here your first range trip to:popcorn:

aray
04-25-2010, 02:10 AM
Jocko,

Thanks much. A few comments in reply:

Your comments about "proper prepping of your new Kahr" were excellent however initially I had a hard time finding them. I had seen others refer to that article you wrote but until tonight could not locate the article. First, because I was confused by the description of the Kahr-Tech forum as "discussion of repair and customization of Kahr products" and it didn't seem like a "repair" or "customization" issue to me so I incorrectly overlooked that forum. And second because I did an unsuccessful search for "proper prepping" whereas as search for "proper prep" would have hit. So for those newbies like me who might make a similar mistake, I post the permalink here which I have now bookmarked in my browser: http://kahrtalk.com/kahr-tech/1521-proper-prep-new-kahr.html#post14512

And you're right - it is an excellent article and I can't wait to get my new Kahr so that I can get going with your recommendations and then on to the range!

Next, back to ammunition. Yes, I'm planning for cheaper target practice rounds and more expensive self defense rounds, with an occasional test of the self defense rounds.

My current self defense rounds that I keep in my Beretta 92 FSs at home are old but the best: Winchester Black Talons (Black Talon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_talon)). I haven't seen any designs that work as well as the theory behind these rounds. Love to get the Ranger T-Series upgrades but since I'm not Law Enforcement that's just a dream. I know they're getting old (a decade now) but they've been at home in a climate-controlled environment so I'm hoping they're still good. Since I can't get any replacements, I've been hoarding the boxes I bought a decade ago and don't shoot them at the range.

When I get my CW9 and carry outdoors in a variety of climates and temperatures, I'll have to follow your advice. The only other defensive round I own at the moment is one box of Pow'R Balls +P from Dakota/Corbon/Glaser. I got that when I *thought* I'd be picking up a CW9 quickly ... before I realized how little inventory people have at the moment and how hard it has become to find a CW9 in stock either at all or at the right price. Once I'm finally able to locate a new CW9, I'll for sure start to research in theory and in practice on what defensive load I like best. Always open for suggestions of course!

Thanks.

GeezerDave
05-29-2012, 08:33 PM
i just finished running a whole wide group of self defense ammunition through my CW9 in hopes of finding what worked best with the gun. Last outing I tried the Federal HST 124 +P and the Federal HST 147 gr. NON-P ammo. This was the first time I had failure to load on anything - and it happened time and time again on the HST 147's. They are very long and have a very wide cavity and for some reason just could not get through the feed ramp.

When I shot the 124 gr. +P it was flawless! My new SDA will be the Federal HST JHP 124 gr. +P.

wyntrout
05-29-2012, 09:29 PM
I've always used +P 124 or 125-gr bullets for defense ammo. I'll use 124-gr or cheap 115-gr FMJ for the range, but I prefer the 124-gr for all shooting. I carry Speer 124-gr Gold Dots as my EDC ammo... Short Barrel version. I also prefer bonded bullets like the Gold Dots.

Wynn:)

jocko
05-30-2012, 05:32 AM
Jocko,

Thanks much. A few comments in reply:

Your comments about "proper prepping of your new Kahr" were excellent however initially I had a hard time finding them. I had seen others refer to that article you wrote but until tonight could not locate the article. First, because I was confused by the description of the Kahr-Tech forum as "discussion of repair and customization of Kahr products" and it didn't seem like a "repair" or "customization" issue to me so I incorrectly overlooked that forum. And second because I did an unsuccessful search for "proper prepping" whereas as search for "proper prep" would have hit. So for those newbies like me who might make a similar mistake, I post the permalink here which I have now bookmarked in my browser: http://kahrtalk.com/kahr-tech/1521-proper-prep-new-kahr.html#post14512

And you're right - it is an excellent article and I can't wait to get my new Kahr so that I can get going with your recommendations and then on to the range!

Next, back to ammunition. Yes, I'm planning for cheaper target practice rounds and more expensive self defense rounds, with an occasional test of the self defense rounds.

My current self defense rounds that I keep in my Beretta 92 FSs at home are old but the best: Winchester Black Talons (Black Talon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_talon)). I haven't seen any designs that work as well as the theory behind these rounds. Love to get the Ranger T-Series upgrades but since I'm not Law Enforcement that's just a dream. I know they're getting old (a decade now) but they've been at home in a climate-controlled environment so I'm hoping they're still good. Since I can't get any replacements, I've been hoarding the boxes I bought a decade ago and don't shoot them at the range.

When I get my CW9 and carry outdoors in a variety of climates and temperatures, I'll have to follow your advice. The only other defensive round I own at the moment is one box of Pow'R Balls +P from Dakota/Corbon/Glaser. I got that when I *thought* I'd be picking up a CW9 quickly ... before I realized how little inventory people have at the moment and how hard it has become to find a CW9 in stock either at all or at the right price. Once I'm finally able to locate a new CW9, I'll for sure start to research in theory and in practice on what defensive load I like best. Always open for suggestions of course!

Thanks.

don;'t know how much I love to see on ur signature line

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

dkmatthews
05-30-2012, 05:36 AM
Ray, check around in the gun stores near you or even online. My LGS sells Winchester Ranger T series to anyone.

MikeyKahr
05-31-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm with you, ya ol' Geezer. It has been 124 HST +p for the last six months now for me.

Tapatalk 2'd it

hotpig
05-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Black Talons are a collectors item and are too valuable to shoot on gun broker.

I have the Ranger and HST in stock. Both mfg have that LE only restriction but so what.

Markis82
06-01-2012, 03:58 AM
I'm trying to find a new CW9 to purchase and having a very hard time finding one. CW9 for $349.99 and free shipping.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/kahr-arms-cw9.html

I hope that helps.

jocko
06-01-2012, 04:01 AM
wow, heh of a great price to..

hotpig
06-01-2012, 09:12 AM
CW9 for $349.99 and free shipping.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/kahr-arms-cw9.html

I hope that helps.

That is what many of us sell the CW9 for.