PDA

View Full Version : Problem found

got2hav1
04-24-2010, 02:04 PM
I think. I have had my P380 since March. It has been thru about 400-500 rds by now. Mostly trouble free except now and then it would fail to go to battery. Stops just short. A nudge with my thumb gets it all the home. Today after reading about the proper break end procedures here, I got out my dremel tool and Flitz. While I was going over the already shiny feed ramp I saw a nasty looking burr.
If you look at the feed ramp end of the barrel there is a angled area that goes up from the left side to top right hand side of the barrel. On that top right hand corner was a signifiacnt burr. Do not know how it got there but I stoned it down and polished out. I also checked the slide catch with the slide off, and the catch installed in the frame. I inserted a loaded mag to see if the catch was interfering with the bullet. I found that if the bullet is not completely seated against the back of the mag., it will definately catch the nose of the bullet. I reassembled everything and let the slide strip a bullet out of the magazine, then dropped the mag. and ejected the chambered round. Upon inspecting the next round in the mag. sometimes the bullet was all the way back in proper position and sometimes it wasn't fully seated. These allways barely ticked the slide catch. I took my stones and polish to the slide catch and smooth it out good.
After all this I took it out and put 50 rds. of PMC FMJ and one magazine of Speer Gold Dots thru it. Not a hint of a problem. Perfect. I'll shoot of few more boxes before I consider it healed. So far so good.
Anyone have anymore suggestions or opinions on what I did. Thanks for a good forum !

jlottmc
04-24-2010, 02:17 PM
You may have just found it. Take some more rounds and to barrow a line from the oracle...Shoot like you stole it.

got2hav1
04-24-2010, 02:46 PM
You may have just found it. Take some more rounds and to barrow a line from the oracle...Shoot like you stole it.

Sure hope so cause I love the size and conceal characteristics of the little devil!

Bawanna
04-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Nice work there got2hav1. Way to dig in and find the problem and throw a fix on that bad boy. Sounds like you got er running like a swiss kahr.

jlottmc
04-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Just out of curiosity, what part of Eastern NC are you in? I have deep ties to that area, my wife being from that way, then my being stationed out that way too...

got2hav1
04-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, what part of Eastern NC are you in? I have deep ties to that area, my wife being from that way, then my being stationed out that way too...

Between Greenville and Wilson. Where were you stationed?

got2hav1
04-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Well, went back out today and put another 56 rounds thru the P380. I hand one fail to feed, but again was during a one hand shot. Gotta to be me and not the gun now. Thats a total of 112 rounds and only the one mis feed today. I plan to put another 50 down the pipe and call it good. Oh yeah and work on my one hand grip.

jocko
04-25-2010, 04:17 PM
sounds like you have that P380 really purring now. A very fun gun to shoot and that one hand shot thing probably was your FTF to. I wouldn't loose alot of sleep over that. What are u going to carry for a defense round? I sure like the corbon power ball for total feeding reliability...

got2hav1
04-25-2010, 04:24 PM
sounds like you have that P380 really purring now. A very fun gun to shoot and that one hand shot thing probably was your FTF to. I wouldn't loose alot of sleep over that. What are u going to carry for a defense round? I sure like the corbon power ball for total feeding reliability...

I have been carrying it with Speer Gold Dots 90 gr. GDHP. Never had one of these fail to feed either so I will put the Corbons on the list to try as well. Thanks for the tip. This is a great forum.