PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question?

SureShot
04-24-2010, 07:34 PM
O.K. guys I need to tap in to your vast knowledge. I have all ready broken in my carry gun with about 450 rounds, but it’s all been FMJ. Now I’m looking for a carry load, I know to fire a minimum of 100 to 150 rounds to make sure it’s reliable in my gun. This might be a dumb question. Do I have to fire all 100 rounds at the same time, or can I fire a box at a time? One box a week or so. The reason I ask is if I test more then one or two brands, this can get expensive. And one more thing, how accurate is accurate enough? What kind of grouping should I look for at three yards, out of my CW9? A one inch group, two inch, Three inch? What is acceptable? I know everyone wants a tack driver, able to punch one hole at three yards, but how big a group is to big? Thanks, and stay safe.
Paul
Proud NRA, TSRA and GRRN member

Bawanna
04-24-2010, 08:11 PM
O.K. guys I need to tap in to your vast knowledge. I have all ready broken in my carry gun with about 450 rounds, but it’s all been FMJ. Now I’m looking for a carry load, I know to fire a minimum of 100 to 150 rounds to make sure it’s reliable in my gun. This might be a dumb question. Do I have to fire all 100 rounds at the same time, or can I fire a box at a time? One box a week or so. The reason I ask is if I test more then one or two brands, this can get expensive. And one more thing, how accurate is accurate enough? What kind of grouping should I look for at three yards, out of my CW9? A one inch group, two inch, Three inch? What is acceptable? I know everyone wants a tack driver, able to punch one hole at three yards, but how big a group is to big? Thanks, and stay safe.
Paul
Proud NRA, TSRA and GRRN member

Many here consider me the resident expert on all things dumb. But this ain't really dumb. I'd say trying carry stuff in small increments is fine, 30 to 50 or so at a time is enough to try several mags, slide lock, all the stuff you need to verify to be confident in a carry gun.
As far as accuracy we all strive for minute of pin head accuracy but I like the term minute of pie plate. In fact someone here earlier was saying they use paper plates for targets. I do this also. If you can put all your rounds in that pie plate at what ever given range your determined to meet your in business. I the hits are in a 1'' group in the middle of the pie plate, so much the better but all in the pie plate is definitely gonna leave a bad mark on the bad guys, so good enough. Every one has their favorite flavor of carry ammo, I like the Gold Dot but you gotta seek what your gun likes the most. I also think if you try a box of something and you get 50 flawless after your 400 fmj's your probably good to go. I really like to shoot more, lots more but I'd be pretty comfy with 50 good flawless rounds, ammo's pricey right now and no doubt not gonna get cheaper anytime soon.

SureShot
04-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks Bawanna45cal
That helps alot. Help put my mind at ease.
Stay safe

Paul

jmstallard
04-24-2010, 09:03 PM
I had many of those same questions myself. Thanks for asking.

jkalantzis
04-25-2010, 05:46 AM
Many here consider me the resident expert on all things dumb. But this ain't really dumb. I'd say trying carry stuff in small increments is fine, 30 to 50 or so at a time is enough to try several mags, slide lock, all the stuff you need to verify to be confident in a carry gun.
As far as accuracy we all strive for minute of pin head accuracy but I like the term minute of pie plate. In fact someone here earlier was saying they use paper plates for targets. I do this also. If you can put all your rounds in that pie plate at what ever given range your determined to meet your in business. I the hits are in a 1'' group in the middle of the pie plate, so much the better but all in the pie plate is definitely gonna leave a bad mark on the bad guys, so good enough. Every one has their favorite flavor of carry ammo, I like the Gold Dot but you gotta seek what your gun likes the most. I also think if you try a box of something and you get 50 flawless after your 400 fmj's your probably good to go. I really like to shoot more, lots more but I'd be pretty comfy with 50 good flawless rounds, ammo's pricey right now and no doubt not gonna get cheaper anytime soon.

Now come on Bawanna, expert on all things DUMB? I think not. You know thats why this forum is great. It gives people a place to get answers for any questions no matter the subject. It seems everyone is willing to just jump in and help. But as for going through 150 SD ammo, Ouch that will be a hit on your wallet. I know what I have done is if I change my daily carry ammo I will go through a box of them to see how my baby likes the flavor. Other then that like Bawanna has shared after 400 fmj's you should be good to go without having to spend a small fortune. Good luck and have fun.

Dietrich
04-25-2010, 06:44 AM
SS,there is no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to a firearm.Only stupid mistakes.Bawanna has given you some good information.I`m happy to see that his meds have finally started to help.There are many fine SD loads on the market.Speer Gold Dot,Remington Golden Saber.Corbon DPX,and the list goes on.Find the one your gun likes,performs well in SD situations and is easy to find at your LGS and you`ll be set.

kahrseye
04-25-2010, 07:09 AM
Did someone mention paper plates? Targets are 7 yards away, one on the right was full of WWB FMJ, 230gr Ball ammo. The one on the left I shot one magazine of Hydra Shoks, 230 gr. after I had shot 200 rounds of WWB. I wanted to see how the Hydra Shoks performed. I would have shot more but after 200 rounds fatigue started to set in. :59: Oh yeah, this was using my PM45.

kramm
04-25-2010, 07:34 AM
:target:Bawana gave great advice. I also use paper plates as targets, at 7 yds. I figure if I can hit all shots in that when hurrying them then thats gonna be O.K.
I like the Hydra shok in230gr. Hornaday 185 gr. is very good also. PowerBall works real well too, 165+p is what I tried.

jocko
04-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Pay attention to Bawanna, he sometimes trys to act "dumb" but he really ain't. He has guided me alot . I don't think 200 rounds of defense stuff is necessary, once the gun is reliable with fmj ammo. but what ever floats ones boat. I would give it 50 rounds,maybe not all at the same time.

I am a believer that what ever defense round you choose, test it out, and then at least once a month or again what ever floats your boat, shoot that defense loaded magazine out and start with new defense rounds. Always keep um fresh.. that way also you will in time reach that 200+ defense round reliability stuff. To many good defense rounds out there to suggest only one. Pick the one that you like, test it and just stay with it, or you will some day end up with 10 different boxes of defense ammo and only carrying one brand. Kars are not ammo sensitive either, so they should shoot damn near anything that goes into the pipe.

I hope this comment passes "muster"
with my ol buddy Bawanna???

jlottmc
04-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Jocko (the oracle) and Bawanna hit it on the head. Minute of plate is three quarter minute of bad guy. I tend to stick with the heaviest load for the caliber I can find, but also don't get too hung up on brands etc. Most modern self defense ammo is good stuff, and will do what is is supposed as long as you do your part, and don't expect too much from it. If the weapon feeds a few consecutive magazines of the good stuff, and it's available, and you like it, then you have found your carry load. One other thing to remember, while checking weapon function, check point of aim/point of impact. I hope that is an appropriate answer from one of the other potato heads around here.

Bawanna
04-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Jocko (the oracle) and Bawanna hit it on the head. Minute of plate is three quarter minute of bad guy. I tend to stick with the heaviest load for the caliber I can find, but also don't get too hung up on brands etc. Most modern self defense ammo is good stuff, and will do what is is supposed as long as you do your part, and don't expect too much from it. If the weapon feeds a few consecutive magazines of the good stuff, and it's available, and you like it, then you have found your carry load. One other thing to remember, while checking weapon function, check point of aim/point of impact. I hope that is an appropriate answer from one of the other potato heads around here.

Actually thats a good point. I tend to try and find carry loads that shoot the same or similar to my practice loads. I've been reloading more and more so I try to make my reloads match my carry. It's not difficult at all. At pistol ranges and keeping the minute of pie plate mantra in mind it's not difficult. I also as I think Jocko mentioned shoot at least one mag, usually the one in the gun of carry stuff to make sure all is well and then replace it with fresh stuff. I usually shoot that carry mag very first thing. Like real life, target is the bad guy, shoot him. Hopefully everything goes bang, no hang ups, no issues. If not, back to the drawing board.

jlottmc
04-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Wait did you just say I had a good point??? Hopefully you can make back to the drawing board. I tend to have a plan, a backup plan, and a back to the back up, knowing full well that it'll be a combination of that and stuff I didn't previously think of that gets me and mine home. It's also like I said before hits count, they may not be good hits, but they buy you time to make good hits. If you reload then like Bawanna, the load should emulate your carry stuff, at least as far as weight and velocity. My two cents there, spend wisely.