PDA

View Full Version : New member -pm9

boondock
04-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Got a new PM9 yesterday - $650.00 in my corner the planet. I had purchased a used SW 642 a couple of years ago from the same shop and they gave me my original purchase price minus $25.00 in trade on the PM9.

During my first range session I fired 250 rounds consisting of 200 rounds of CCI Lawman 124 grain TMJ and 50 rounds CCI 124 grain non +P Gold Dot HP. The gun was cleaned, inspected, and lubed every 50 rounds. The only malfunction was (1) FTF at round #10 with a GDHP. No other malfunctions occurred. All shooting was done un-supported from 3 to 15 yards. My FBI "Q" target was left with one 3" hole right through the "Q". the sights were dead on.

When I inspected the gun after the first 50 rounds I noticed that the left front rail has a notch in it... Is this supposed to be there?

Although I can't call the PM9 fun to shoot, it certainly is a pleasure to carry and offers an outstanding weight to power ratio. I'm happy... except for the notch :confused:

wyntrout
04-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Yes, the P380s don't have that notch, but the rest seem to. That sounds pretty good for the range report.
I thought that I had a better picture of that "notch" in the left rail, but I couldn't find one. This is a January picture of my PM9, dirty from the range, but you can see the notch in the left rail. It's supposed to be there. I got my PM9 DLC with NS LNIB at a gun show while hoping to see a PM45, my Dream Gun. It was built March 2006.
Welcome to the forum and if you have any other questions there is a lot of info here. Try the forum search feature for existing posts... lots of info and pictures.
Wynn:D

In-Yo-Grill
04-26-2010, 05:43 AM
Yes sir...All my Kahrs have the notch except the P380.

boondock
04-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the responses. What a relief regarding the "notch". :)

boondock
05-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Second range session, 100 rounds of non +P 124 grain CCI Gold Dot HP, zero malfunctions. This makes 350 rounds of which 150 were non +P 124 grain CCI GDHP with 1 FTF at round #10.

But the gun was very uncomfortable to shoot due to the sharp checkering across the front strap. What do I do? A strip of black military "duck tape" placed across the checkering took care of the discomfort and made the gun a real pleasure to shoot. A leather Galco pocket holster carries the gun comfortably and I'm as happy as can be. I'm glad that I traded my SW 642 on the PM9 and haven't looked back.

Thanks KAHR!
:)

jocko
05-07-2010, 09:11 PM
some have taken fine sand paper and just sanded down the front of that strap. some put those rubber type grip tubes over them. Some use a basic bicycle tube cut the length they want and it works great. Some live with it.

all kinds of choices.

Nice gun though ain't it,

G26ster
05-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Yes sir...All my Kahrs have the notch except the P380.

OK, I can't take it anymore. Can someone post a picture of the "notch" with an identifying mark pointing to it??? I have no idea which "notch" or which "bevel" you guys have been talking about :confused:

Bawanna
05-07-2010, 10:54 PM
OK, I can't take it anymore. Can someone post a picture of the "notch" with an identifying mark pointing to it??? I have no idea which "notch" or which "bevel" you guys have been talking about :confused:

I don't have a picture but if you enter notch or bevel in the search mode I'm sure some of Wynns fine photos' will pop up. The notch is on the bottom of the slide out on the muzzle end adjacent to where the recoil spring goes in the hole, creates clearance for the spring assembly. The bevel is also on the bottom of the slide right behind the breach face on the stripper. Its what takes off the top round in the mag. Sometimes when they aren't beveled the stripper ends up on top of the case instead of behind it so the slide goes into battery and leaves the cartridge in the magazine. There's been lots of recent pics, should be able to find them pretty easy.

G26ster
05-07-2010, 11:59 PM
I don't have a picture but if you enter notch or bevel in the search mode I'm sure some of Wynns fine photos' will pop up. The notch is on the bottom of the slide out on the muzzle end adjacent to where the recoil spring goes in the hole, creates clearance for the spring assembly. The bevel is also on the bottom of the slide right behind the breach face on the stripper. Its what takes off the top round in the mag. Sometimes when they aren't beveled the stripper ends up on top of the case instead of behind it so the slide goes into battery and leaves the cartridge in the magazine. There's been lots of recent pics, should be able to find them pretty easy.

Thanks Bawanna. I had found a picture where Wynn put a piece of paper behind the "notch" in the muzzle end.

But in Wynn's latest post in this thread, he said, "This is a January picture of my PM9, dirty from the range, but you can see the notch in the left rail." And, the picture he posted does not even show the muzzle end. So once again, I'm confused as to which notch I'm supposed to check on my PM9. That's why I asked for a picture with a "pointer" to the notch.

wyntrout
05-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Here's kind of a synopsis that I threw together for Kahrseye to soothe him while he was awaiting his pistol.
http://kahrtalk.com/general-discussion/1757-new-pm45-way.html#post17700

G26ster, there are two notches... you NEED the one where there's a "wall" separating the barrel opening and the recoil spring assembly at the inside front of the slide. It's about 1/4" half-diameter out of the wall so the spring assembly can move as the barrel moves up and down, otherwise it beats against that wall and throws the timing off with ejecting and maybe chambering cartridges.
The little notch in the left rail of the frame (inside left front) if some kind of marker or alignment thingy used by Kahr. It seems to be in all Kahrs except the P380 which doesn't have the afore-mentioned larger notch, either.

There are more comprehensive posts but this gives the gist of things.

G26ster
05-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Here's kind of a synopsis that I threw together for Kahrseye to soothe him while he was awaiting his pistol.
http://kahrtalk.com/general-discussion/1757-new-pm45-way.html#post17700

G26ster, there are two notches... you NEED the one where there's a "wall" separating the barrel opening and the recoil spring assembly at the inside front of the slide. It's about 1/4" half-diameter out of the wall so the spring assembly can move as the barrel moves up and down, otherwise it beats against that wall and throws the timing off with ejecting and maybe chambering cartridges.
The little notch in the left rail of the frame (inside left front) if some kind of marker or alignment thingy used by Kahr. It seems to be in all Kahrs except the P380 which doesn't have the afore-mentioned larger notch, either.

There are more comprehensive posts but this gives the gist of things.

As Agent 86 used to say, "Ah, it's the old TWO notch trick." Thanks Wynn.

Will
05-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Just noticed that you guys were talking about a notch on the Khars... New to the site and a proud PM9 owner as of yesterday. Shot mine too and while cleaning it I noticed a small notch on the left rail that is attached to the polymer frame part of the gun. It is the rail that is located toward the front of the gun that the top slide slides into to attach the slide and the polymer frame together. The metal rails I'm speaking of are integrated into the polymer frame and not the slide at all. It's just a little small notch and only on one rail. Didn't affect the shootability at all. Time permitted only 50 rounds of FMJ but had no problems so far. I noticed the notch before I did any shooting.

jocko
05-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Just noticed that you guys were talking about a notch on the Khars... New to the site and a proud PM9 owner as of yesterday. Shot mine too and while cleaning it I noticed a small notch on the left rail that is attached to the polymer frame part of the gun. It is the rail that is located toward the front of the gun that the top slide slides into to attach the slide and the polymer frame together. The metal rails I'm speaking of are integrated into the polymer frame and not the slide at all. It's just a little small notch and only on one rail. Didn't affect the shootability at all. Time permitted only 50 rounds of FMJ but had no problems so far. I noticed the notch before I did any shooting.

OK, that is normal on the kahrs.. Just shoot it like u stole it..

Will
05-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks....