PDA

View Full Version : New recoil spring

WHG
09-13-2009, 11:45 AM
I added a like new P45 to my Kahr and ordered a new recoil spring to install just to be sure. The new spring is longerthan the removed one. I tried compressing it on a screwdriver..compressed some but it is so long or so strong I can not get it in the gun. I have built and shot a lot of 1911s but am I just too weak or do I need a KAHR gorrilla?????
WHG

sharpetop
09-13-2009, 01:27 PM
My new recoil spring for my CW9 was the same way. It was a PITA to put the gun together. If you ever get it together go shoot a couple hundred rounds before taking it back apart. It will be easier the next time around.

500KV
09-13-2009, 01:41 PM
The recoil spring for my CW45 is a b@#$* to get in as well.
I put the muzzle end of the slide against something solid and use both hands to push it in.

Just curious WHG, where did you get your spring and do you know the strength?

WHG
09-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Replacement springs came from Kahr. No indication of weight. Maybe i am too used to 1911s but the KAHR is so nice to carry!!!!!!
Thanks for the re-assurance....though my hands were broke!!
WHG

mr.72
09-15-2009, 07:57 AM
If you ever get it together go shoot a couple hundred rounds before taking it back apart. It will be easier the next time around.

I would be quite concerned if that spring weakens enough that you would notice a difference on assembly after firing only a few hundred rounds.

The fact that the spring is not captive on the guide rod is what makes it hard to assemble. It's not the fault of a stiff spring.

jocko
09-15-2009, 10:29 AM
I would be quite concerned if that spring weakens enough that you would notice a difference on assembly after firing only a few hundred rounds.

The fact that the spring is not captive on the guide rod is what makes it hard to assemble. It's not the fault of a stiff spring.

take a set, that is built into the recoil springs specs to. Wolffs makes kahrs recoil springs and u will get a set in any set of springs, no matter what they are, but that doesn't mean they are shot.

Kahr factory PM 9 and PM40 springs are 18#, wolffs makes a 20.5# set that IMO really makes things work better, expecially if u are having failure to go into complete battery.

But realize heavier springs make racking even more difficult...

WHG
09-15-2009, 02:10 PM
I have two P45 and a PM45.. would not want to make slide any tougher to rack. If you have no problem going fully into battery, would a lighter spring be a bad move?
Maybe I'm too used to 1911s..where the spring weights can be a real tune up depending on loads, cal and gun.
WHG

paul0660
09-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I think I need a new recoil spring. My new to me K9 will frequently not feed up the ramp, or not quite go into battery. It is VERY easy to rack as well so I think the recoil spring is the problem. Is there a way to determine if the spring is worn out, like measuring? Also, is there a downside to the stronger springs available from Wolff? Thanks.

ltxi
09-28-2009, 03:44 PM
I think I need a new recoil spring. My new to me K9 will frequently not feed up the ramp, or not quite go into battery. It is VERY easy to rack as well so I think the recoil spring is the problem. Is there a way to determine if the spring is worn out, like measuring? Also, is there a downside to the stronger springs available from Wolff? Thanks.

There is no downside to using Wolff springs....I understand Kahr uses them as OEM parts. The downside to stronger recoil springs is that they may not work with light loaded/low pressure ammo.

paul0660
09-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks Itxi