PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 G17 to G19 chop

mluikey
08-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Chopped my Gen 4 G17 to G19 grip length today. Also removed the finger grooves and did a little internal fine tuning. She now has a crisp 5# trigger,
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t483/Mluikey/IMG_0016_zps1751f814.jpg (http://s1062.photobucket.com/user/Mluikey/media/IMG_0016_zps1751f814.jpg.html)

phil413tx
08-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Nice...is it easier to conceal?

wyntrout
08-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Dang! you didn't make it any prettier... though it still looks better than the PM9J.:D

I finally shot my G21 SF Friday after putting on the Trijicon HD NS Yellow FS and tried out a couple of the 27-round Korean mags. I prefer my G23C... OR the G19 Gen 4. The Korean .45 mags need some work. one of the two went 23 rounds out of 25 before FTF. I put the bullet back in and the last two fired. The first had 5-7 problems.

They wouldn't let me shoot the Mech Tech Carbine, though... barrel too long. I just got in the M4 stock adapter for it. I wasn't crazy about the telescoping stock... no place for my cheek... no FRIENDLY one, anyhow.:rolleyes:

I think I'm going to sell some of my Glock mags at cost... or even a loss at the next gun show 24/25 August. Wifey and I shall have sold at all of the local shows then. It's more fun for me than her because I enjoy talking... a lot!

Wynn:)

jocko
08-04-2013, 06:38 AM
CHOP IT, PAINT IT, port it,

ITS STILL A GLOCK!!

nice work:Amflag2:

certified106
08-04-2013, 07:24 AM
Looks like you did a great job! How do you like it with the shorter grip?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

CJB
08-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Nice workmakship. Ace job. Raisin pie. Really made the grade with that. Absolutely brilliant. Bravo. Kudos. A cut above. Smashing. Good show old chap.

And yeah, its still a Glock, but its your Glock. Be Glock proud with it!~

(and now I'll go have a nice bourbon to make up for that)

(edit)

On closer examination, the only issue I see with your conversion is the lack of space between the bottom of the grip and the magazine baseplate. There may come a time when you're shooting, something goes wrong and you'll have to manually extract that magazine. So... either some finger cut-outs in the grip's bottom, or the simple Kahr approach of a small space (which also allows for any needed overtravel in mag insertion, and prohibits small debris crom getting between the magainze base and the grip and thus interfere with full seating).

muggsy
08-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Nice work. Looks like it was done by a professional.

gb6491
08-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Chopped my Gen 4 G17 to G19 grip length today. Also removed the finger grooves and did a little internal fine tuning. She now has a crisp 5# trigger,

Nice work mluikey!
Looks like you also undercut/reshaped the trigger guard.
Regards,
Greg

mluikey
08-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Nice...is it easier to conceal?

Yes, I usually carry AIWB and the grip of the 19 is the perfect length but I prefer the additional length of the G17 slide (plus all of my holsters are G17 length). So I decided to do a hybrid and am pleased with the outcome.

mluikey
08-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Dang! you didn't make it any prettier... though it still looks better than the PM9J.:D

I finally shot my G21 SF Friday after putting on the Trijicon HD NS Yellow FS and tried out a couple of the 27-round Korean mags. I prefer my G23C... OR the G19 Gen 4. The Korean .45 mags need some work. one of the two went 23 rounds out of 25 before FTF. I put the bullet back in and the last two fired. The first had 5-7 problems.

They wouldn't let me shoot the Mech Tech Carbine, though... barrel too long. I just got in the M4 stock adapter for it. I wasn't crazy about the telescoping stock... no place for my cheek... no FRIENDLY one, anyhow.:rolleyes:

I think I'm going to sell some of my Glock mags at cost... or even a loss at the next gun show 24/25 August. Wifey and I shall have sold at all of the local shows then. It's more fun for me than her because I enjoy talking... a lot!

Wynn:)

Thanks Wynn, I have not heard many good things about the Korean mags. Too bad about not shooting the Carbine, I think that's a pretty cool set up.

mluikey
08-04-2013, 01:52 PM

CHOP IT, PAINT IT, port it,

ITS STILL A GLOCK!!

nice work:Amflag2:

mluikey
08-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Looks like you did a great job! How do you like it with the shorter grip?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thank you, time and patience. It actually took me about a week to get it done to my liking. I really like the shorter grip from a conceal-ability stand point. The balance of the gun is nice too.

mluikey
08-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Nice workmakship. Ace job. Raisin pie. Really made the grade with that. Absolutely brilliant. Bravo. Kudos. A cut above. Smashing. Good show old chap.

And yeah, its still a Glock, but its your Glock. Be Glock proud with it!~

(and now I'll go have a nice bourbon to make up for that)

(edit)

On closer examination, the only issue I see with your conversion is the lack of space between the bottom of the grip and the magazine baseplate. There may come a time when you're shooting, something goes wrong and you'll have to manually extract that magazine. So... either some finger cut-outs in the grip's bottom, or the simple Kahr approach of a small space (which also allows for any needed overtravel in mag insertion, and prohibits small debris crom getting between the magainze base and the grip and thus interfere with full seating).

Thanks CJB, and yes I did partake in a nice bourbon last night (my adult beverage of choice :D).

I see what you are saying. I have seen where some guys like Coldbore Customs and Bowie Tactical make the cuts on the sides. I may go back and do that. Thanks for the feedback.

mluikey
08-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Nice work. Looks like it was done by a professional.

Thank you!!! I have done a few before and I have learned from each one that I have done.

mluikey
08-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Nice work mluikey!
Looks like you also undercut/reshaped the trigger guard.
Regards,
Greg

Thank you GB, I did the undercut to be able to get a higher grip on the gun and also alleviate the "Glock knuckle". Plus I removed that ugly hook on the end ;)