PDA

View Full Version : 45 ACP large or small primer hole

AIRret
08-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Ok we have been busy so we haven't loaded 45 yet. However, the brass is cleaned and punched.
Now my eyes were never great and telling a small primer hole from a large primer hole at a glance is not as easy as I would like so my hubby came up with a technique that will make it MUCH easier. He discovered the a 4.5mm
allen wrench will fit into a 45 large primer hole but not in a small.
For me it's a simple and sure was to id the difference.

Just thought I would share the idea incase anyone else had the same issue.

We are always trying to be safe!

mr surveyor
08-21-2013, 05:46 PM
when I'm sorting out pick-up brass I generally deprime it all first, then hit the primer pockets with a pocket cleaning tool the first go round. If the tool don't fit it goes in the scrap bag. Some day I may regret not saving the dozen or so of those vile small primer pieces of brass I've run across locally .... I hope the fad doesn't stick though. Whatever you use, it's a good idea to gauge the primer pocket on any pick-up brass ... or at least look closely before you try to smash a big round thingy into a small round thingy receptacle.

I'd imagine getting one of those small hole abominations in the assembly line on a fast moving progressive press would sure gum up the works.

AIRret
08-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Yea Mr. Surveyor, we need to buy another primer pocket tool but when things went nuts they weren't to be found.......It's time to spend more money on the money saving reloading equipment!

I'm just joking, reloading is fun and it allows us to shot more, which is always fun!

mr surveyor
08-21-2013, 06:13 PM
you know, it is really kinda funny. I'm reloading now for all my favorites, and at about the same cost per round as what factory ammo was in 2006. I've shot/hunted since I was 10 years old, but really didn't get into the paper punching and "wasting" ammunition hot and heavy until about 2004. My running buddies and I would get together twice a week at the range and shoot a couple hundred rounds of various rifle and handgun bullets each one day, then at least 100 rounds of shotgun shells each at the clay birds on a weekend night. By 2007 the ammo prices had gone up by 50%, and 2009 they were at least double the 2004 prices. Add to that the cost of gasoline doubling, and those trips to the range dwindled to one per month. It took me a couple more years to really think long and hard about reloading, then another year of researching and study before I decided to ease in to it. I'm sure glad I did. I still don't shoot even 30% as much as "the good old days", but I spend less money for the combination of two pleasures now. I really enjoy my reloading time .... not quite as much as the shooting time, but a very close second. By my estimation, the component costs for what I load (.38, .357, .44, .45, .30-30) are just slightly higher than 2006-2007 factory ammo. Plus, the satisfaction of putting it all together to save 60%.

surv:)

Ikeo74
08-21-2013, 06:19 PM
when I'm sorting out pick-up brass I generally deprime it all first, then hit the primer pockets with a pocket cleaning tool the first go round. If the tool don't fit it goes in the scrap bag. Some day I may regret not saving the dozen or so of those vile small primer pieces of brass I've run across locally .... I hope the fad doesn't stick though. Whatever you use, it's a good idea to gauge the primer pocket on any pick-up brass ... or at least look closely before you try to smash a big round thingy into a small round thingy receptacle.

I'd imagine getting one of those small hole abominations in the assembly line on a fast moving progressive press would sure gum up the works.
Save those small primed brass. You can sell them or reload later when things get scarce.

AIRret
08-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Well we are saving the small primed brass for a rainy day but also in reading up on the small primed 45 ACP there may be a move afoot to make all the primer holes small.
At least this is what I read on some other forums. Some people like the idea because
then a person only had to have one size primers for the most common handgun calibers.
Additionally, they said that on the small primed 45 some have a small flash hole and others have a large flash hole. The small flash hole significantly slows the fps and the small primer but large flash hole is almost the same fps as the large primed 45.
I'm not sure if this flash hole difference is easily seen or not,...maybe it doesn't even
exist.

I would LOVE ammo. to be cheaper and more AVAILABLE, but I would still reload.

mr surveyor
08-21-2013, 09:27 PM
I load a good bit of .44 mag, and I'd doubt there will be a big push anytime soon to be set up with small pistol primers. But, Winchester is pushing a one "type" fits all now in the categories of standard primers and magnum primers, so I've heard. I guess it wouldn't kill me for the powers that be to declare an executive order making all forms of small arms ammunition use the same primers .... I just don't want to be forced to buy all that replacement brass ;)