PDA

View Full Version : Gritty Trigger Pull

jmstallard
04-29-2010, 07:14 AM
I was dry-firing my CW9 this morning and noticed that trigger didn't have its usual baby-butt smooth feel. I figured there was some grit in the striker channel, so I disassembled it. I found ZERO grit, but what I did find was a lot of oil. It was clean though, with low viscosity. I didn't see how clean, thin oil would create a gritty pull, but I cleaned that all up and now the pull is back to feeling superb.

Here's my question: was the excess oil to blame, or do you think I unknowingly fixed it during the dis/reassembly process? For the record, I've only put 150 rounds through it so far, and I hadn't disassembled the slide prior to feeling the gritty trigger.

Bawanna
04-29-2010, 09:39 AM
I was dry-firing my CW9 this morning and noticed that trigger didn't have its usual baby-butt smooth feel. I figured there was some grit in the striker channel, so I disassembled it. I found ZERO grit, but what I did find was a lot of oil. It was clean though, with low viscosity. I didn't see how clean, thin oil would create a gritty pull, but I cleaned that all up and now the pull is back to feeling superb.

Here's my question: was the excess oil to blame, or do you think I unknowingly fixed it during the dis/reassembly process? For the record, I've only put 150 rounds through it so far, and I hadn't disassembled the slide prior to feeling the gritty trigger.

I have to go with you unknowingly fixed it. I hate that myself, I like to know ok I did this and this helped but doesn't always happen. While that channel should be left dry and not oiled I don't see the oil being an issue. You do now have the satisfaction of knowing what makes that slide tick and much less fear of taking it down again if needed. So that's a good thing. Probably just some small piece of stuff fell out in the dissasembly process, all good.

jocko
04-29-2010, 10:41 AM
it's fixed that is the main thing, now just go out and shoot it like you stole it.. nice gun by the way. Probably was ore grit in that oil tha tyou thought to, That is the feature of oil also to carry grit and still oubricate. Keep that channel dry and clean...no oil.

You can clean that striker area perfectly buy just inserting your cleaner nozzle in that little hole on the bottom of the slide and spraying away. fluids will come out both ends. No need really to take the upper slide all apart. Also after spraying through that little clean out hole, just pull back on the striker and then with the nozzle right in the face of the firing pin hole on the breech face, spray away and fluids will come out of the clean out hole. this will realy clean any crap out in that area for sure. Dop it every time you clean the gun, might take 30 seconds longer to do..

jmstallard
04-29-2010, 11:20 AM
I never oiled the striker channel, but I probably did apply too much oil during the initial prep. The excess either found its way into the channel or it was in there when I got it.

Bawanna
04-29-2010, 11:26 AM
I never oiled the striker channel, but I probably did apply too much oil during the initial prep. The excess either found its way into the channel or it was in there when I got it.

Your right on both counts, the oil was probably there when it left Kahr (they don't know how long that gun will sit on a shelf someplace) and oil etc can find it's way into that channel quite easily. That's why Jocko's favorite hole, (darn I got him this time) is so convenient. Just squirt the cleaner in there during your cleaning process and blow stuff, oil, etc right out both ends. Works fine and as he mentioned you don't have to tear the slide down. I plan to take mine down once a year or so just to stay familiar with the workings but probably not really needed either.

jocko
04-29-2010, 12:38 PM

it was that way when you bought it, your not at fault Bawanna is right, the guns leave the factory sometimes over oiled for they don't know how long that gun will sit around in the box. One shoudl always clean a new gun, I know it makes no sense to some but error on the side of caution..

Bawanna
04-29-2010, 01:10 PM
it was that way when you bought it, your not at fault Bawanna is right, the guns leave the factory sometimes over oiled for they don't know how long that gun will sit around in the box. One shoudl always clean a new gun, I know it makes no sense to some but error on the side of caution..

Gosh darn Mr Jocko this is the 3rd time, maybe even 4th I've seen in print where you wrote Bawanna is right! At the risk of getting a swelled head nearly the size of a hot air balloon I think there should be some sort of acheivment recognition here! What do ya think would be right, maybe I come over and wax your Harley, pressure wash the driveway, you got cement and asphalt back there dont ya?
I as always bow to your wisdom and common sense, I'm not always the brightest light in the harbor, but I gotta tell ya I'm feeling just a might bit of a warm glow right about now. Ummmm, oh we're ok I didnt wet myself.

jocko
04-29-2010, 02:32 PM
well sometimes it hurts me to have to admiit your right, but yes come over, I have a cement drive way and I have a pressure washer, and my illegal that I had staying in my attic just vanished when he read (well he heard it on his mexican radio, he really can't read) about what Arizona did, so I am in need of a wash boy.

Bawanna
04-29-2010, 02:37 PM
well sometimes it hurts me to have to admiit your right, but yes come over, I have a cement drive way and I have a pressure washer, and my illegal that I had staying in my attic just vanished when he read (well he heard it on his mexican radio, he really can't read) about what Arizona did, so I am in need of a wash boy.

I'll be headed east before the sun sets. I forget where I'm going though, Iowa, Kansas (there's no place like home) Ohio Columbus? Seems like I used to know but I forgot. I'll just get on the east side of the Mississippi and ask for ya, I'm sure they can aim me in the right direction.
If I'm gonna be the onsight wash boy, might want to look into a elevator, don't do step or ladders to the attic much anymore. I guess we could always resort to the crawl space, ya don't got spiders and poison snakes and such do ya?

jocko
04-29-2010, 06:21 PM
u don't spell you last name Menedez do u?????

Bawanna
04-29-2010, 06:47 PM
u don't spell you last name Menedez do u?????

No sir, Benito Alvarez Candidos Sanchez. Menedez is my cousin.

jlottmc
04-29-2010, 08:20 PM
So many jokes, so little time...