PDA

View Full Version : Broken recoil rod? PM40.

mudfish
08-27-2013, 10:20 PM
I have not fired my PM40 for about a year. Fired 40 rounds and had two failures to return to battery. A light tap on the slide was all it took to snap the slide shut. This ticked me off because it should not happen period. The gun was sparkling clean and lubed properly, only about I dunno 700 rounds through the gun. Have ONLY fired high quality new Winchester Ranger ammo through it. I am still amazed at the accuracy with this little gun, what a great shooter! But malfunctions wanna make me get rid of it.

Noticed the cap to the recoil rod was missing. ??? This is my 2nd Kahr, I've never heard of this, nor have I ever heard of having to "tighten" the cap now and then to make sure it does not come off. I searched for the cap with no luck. Looks like I could simply screw it back on while the slide is locked back...

Do I have to buy a whole new recoil assembly? Is this the cause of my malfunctions today? WTF Kahr? A self defense gun should not do this.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad43/DiRTYDOG223/Kahr01_zps0be31c80.jpg

TucsonMTB
08-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Bummer, but yeah, you need a new assembly.

I had the round nut come off my PM40 some time ago as well. So, I installed my spare recoil assembly. You do have a spare, right?

Looking over the one that lost its round nut, I realized one of the hex nuts in my junk drawer had the right threads and was easy enough to reshape to match the missing round nut. That became my extra spare. I used red Loctite to ensure the nut will not come off again.

No worries! If you drop them an email, or make a phone call, Kahr will usually ship a replacement at no cost. And, it sounds like you shoot the pistol seldom enough that it shouldn't be much of an inconvenience waiting for your spare to arrive.

Oh, and making the spare hex nut round with the proper bevel is pretty easy. First you thread it on a spare bolt. Then chuck the bolt in a drill and spin the nut while you attack it with a sanding drum in your Dremel tool. There are probably lots of other ways to do it too. But, that was easiest for me and took about 15 minutes, working carefully, including the final polish.

Oh, and at 700 rounds, you might be due for a replacement anyway. That would explain the failures to return to battery. You can also just replace the worn, outer spring, if you prefer.

Best of luck!

mudfish
08-27-2013, 11:30 PM
I will not use altered spare parts for a self defense gun, must be in factory assembled condition.

I have been carrying other guns lately after I had troubles with my magazine follower breaking. Thought I'd give the PM40 another try, and now this. Cool little gun, but geez, kinda high maintenance?! A new recoil spring every 500 rounds? (Because I MUST prevent failures before they happen, apparently after only 700 rounds?)

mudfish
08-27-2013, 11:34 PM
This is my 2nd Kahr, I always read the manuals, and I have read threads here and elsewhere going back years. This is the first I recall ever hearing about making sure the recoil rod cap does not come screwed off. If I had known, I would have routinely checked it. Is this a common problem?

TucsonMTB
08-28-2013, 03:13 AM
This is my 2nd Kahr, I always read the manuals, and I have read threads here and elsewhere going back years. This is the first I recall ever hearing about making sure the recoil rod cap does not come screwed off. If I had known, I would have routinely checked it. Is this a common problem?
Can't say that I bother to check. :rolleyes:

In the two years I have been visiting KahrTalk, I only recall seeing two or three posts where someone mentioned a loose or lost nut and they all reported that their guns kept working.

Like you, they discovered the loss after their range session.

I certainly have to agree with you on the other issues. If I could find as small a pocket "fotay" that did not have a history of minor problems, I would be all over it. As it is, my PM40 is completely sorted out, has accumulated more than a thousand trouble free rounds and enjoys my full confidence. I can't afford to, but if I had it to do over again, I might make a different choice. Still, nothing else is this small or fun to shoot. So, what are you going to do?! ;)

muggsy
08-30-2013, 02:24 PM
E-mail Kahr service. Tell Jay what happened. He will probably send you a new replacement recoil spring assembly for free. Tell 'em Muggsy sent ya. :)

Bawanna
08-30-2013, 03:38 PM
It happens but not usually and even with the nut gone it still works.

Apparently some don't get loctited or something before they leave.

I once in awhile check with my fingers at the range to make sure.

If it stays on, your usually good to go, usually it will fall off early in life about like yours did.

I seldom replace recoil springs. I think 12 to 1500 hundred rounds is the suggested interval but if it's shooting good I don't mess with it.

chuckt
08-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Just happened to my on my CM9. Email Kahr and Jay will take care of you. He did me. I emailed Friday night and had the new recoil assembly on Wednesday.