PDA

View Full Version : Will Kahr allow MRI to continue to ruin the Desert Eagle Legacy

MegaTrav
08-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Ok, so rather than have my first post be an "about me" in the newb thread, I decided I'd hit the ground running here. Name is Travis, I live in Alaska, and I am a Desert Eagle owner and an avid enthusiast of large caliber pistols, and revolvers. They make me giggle inside. Nuff said.

So as I'm looking at this new "Desert Eagle 1911", I found myself asking, "Are you guys going to call everything you make a Desert Eagle now? As if the Baby Desert Eagle, the Micro Desert Eagle lines were not enough, they had to go and jump on the 1911 bandwagon, right along with nearly every other Handgun Manufacturer on the planet, and call THAT Desert Eagle as well. Seriously? They couldn't think outside the box for two seconds, and come up with something new?

Originality, (along with a little help from Hollywood) is what made the Desert Eagle so well known today. It used to be that when someone said, "I just bought a Desert Eagle!" You knew what they were talking about. Now days, you have ask "A real one?" Why does MRI insist upon ruining a 29 year legacy by Stamping the Desert Eagle name on everything, up to and including 1911 rip offs. Because it sells? I do not believe that this dated marketing approach has given them any more success than if they would have given their other products their own names. I think its time for a fresh perspective in the Marketing Department at MRI. Hopefully, now that Kahr is involved, they will finally get the help they need.

Just a thought...

downtownv
08-28-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm no expert on Desert Eagles, but Kahr, Like most Gun Companies lack good marketing skills!
I speak as a Sales and Marketing executive.
I could spend 20 minutes with everyone of them and expand a large untapped market for their brand, for a very fair fee!

Longitude Zero
08-28-2013, 01:50 PM
I gotta agree with the OP. The Desert Eagle is a HUGE pistol. Putting that name on smaller pistols cheapens the name. As for marketing if you make it the public will buy it.

Bawanna
08-28-2013, 02:00 PM
I never gave it much thought.

I like my Desert Eagle 1911 so much they could call it a Kel Tec or a Glock and I'd still love it, maybe just not so much.

downtownv
08-28-2013, 02:22 PM
I'm no expert on Desert Eagles, but Kahr, Like most Gun Companies lack good marketing skills!
I speak as a Sales and Marketing executive.
I could spend 20 minutes with everyone of them and expand a large untapped market for their brand, for a very fair fee!

Justin, JohnH are Ya listening?
Pass my name on to the powers that be at Kahr:)

gb6491
08-28-2013, 03:18 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/e6f1tt.jpg:)

Bawanna
08-28-2013, 03:20 PM
My oh my!

JustinN
08-28-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm not saying I don't agree with the idea of coming up with new names, but I'm guessing a big part of it no ones who "Magnum Research" is, but you say "Desert Eagle" they're immediately checked in. Not saying this is a good strategy, and I agree with Downtown that many companies could use some help in their marketing departs - but look at most firearm manufacturers and their designation of their guns. If you don't really know them well, what does G17 vs G26 vs G20 vs G18 vs G36 etc etc mean....or P220 vs P226 vs P250....or USP vs P30 vs HK45 vs P2000....I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Again, not saying that a little flair wouldn't make it better, but I think they are riding the coat tails of their 29 year legacy. I remember a time when it was just the "Baby Eagle", before the Desert was added in, but I think it just wasn't recognized (I prefer Jericho, I think it sounds cooler), so they've went back to using the name people know. Like I said, people don't recognize Magnum Research, they have to be told it's who makes Desert Eagle....movies like the Matrix and Snatch help emblazon the DE into everyone's minds.

All that being said, they do have the BFR which makes me smile every time I say it....

downtownv
08-28-2013, 03:53 PM

I am Humbled and Flattered!
Where did you find That?

Bawanna
08-28-2013, 03:57 PM
It's a standard model. Check the website. Duh?

Ok, thats a little white lie but momma says a little white lie never hurt nobody.

rjt123
08-28-2013, 05:07 PM

Looks like Greg has been taking Photoshop lessons from Tinman (or something). ;)

Ikeo74
08-28-2013, 05:16 PM
The Desert Eagle is Field and Stream gun of the year. Yep, it is the real Desert Eagle.:Amflag2:

downtownv
08-28-2013, 05:38 PM
You guys are the BEST!