PDA

View Full Version : Appleseed

getsome
04-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Don't know if any of you have heard about the Appleseed program and if not google RWVA Appleseed and you can read up on it....I took my son and daughter to the Taccoca Ga event last weekend and it was fantastic.... There is a group called RWVA stands for Revolutionary War Veterans Association....They are NRA sanctioned and all instructors are NRA certified... They teach proper rifle markmanship and also between shooting sessions they teach lots of interesting stuff about the Revolutionary War that we didn't learn in school...(Those Brits were some nasty guys sometimes) You learn what really happened on the green on april 19 1775 and what was the real start of the war....Most of the training is about proper use of the rifle (no pistols) from standing, prone, and sitting using military targets at ranges of 25 yards to much smaller targets at the same distance to represent 100 yards...You have to supply your own rifle and ammo (any caliber is ok, most use Ruger 10/22 or similar)...Many brought AR15 rifles and one nice guy let my son and myself shoot it...First time I ever fired a .223 and I liked it....Daughter wanted to stick with her .22 The event lasts all weekend and is free for kids under 16 and for women of any age There is a small fee for adult males but very reasonable....The reason it's called Appleseed is just like Johnny Appleseed spread seeds all around to provide future generations fruit, the idea is to promote shooting sports and proper safe firearm use and markmanship to the public and to youth so that firearms and shooting will be here for many years to come...Check it out and if an event is in your area its a great couple afternoons of instruction and shooting...I learned quite a bit... One last thing about the Boy Scouts of America...It seems many try their best to pick on the Scouts for some reason...My son is a Star Scout (two ranks from Eagle) and he has learned so much from his experence that its priceless...I am involved as a parent leader (mostly hauling trailers and gear for campouts) and I can tell you that Scouting and learning from the Leaders who give their time to it is one of the best ways for a young man to mature and learn life skills and become a man.....Remember that when you hear some progressive slam the Scouts for what they stand for and their views on religion and homosexuality in their organization....Like they say, One must stand for something or fall for anything....