PDA

View Full Version : feed ramp polish job

the hammer
08-31-2013, 11:36 PM
Just joined the forum so I thought Id give a my 2cents here on polishing feed ramps(and other parts you may like to like contact points. I recently have started doing this myself with all my guns but especially my handguns because Ive found it helps the feeding of rounds and makes it more smooth. But instead of going and finding some product at my local GS I used a polish(already on hand) called Mothers Mag and Alluminum Polish. 10oz for a few dollars will last for a long time.Anyway I was happy to see the results on both the metal injected parts as well as the SS ones on my cw9. Anyway I will post some pics at a later time since Im a newbie here now but would enjoy any thoughts or feedback you have to offer if any. thanks, the hammer

warbird1
08-31-2013, 11:46 PM
I've heard the Mothers Mag is good. I like Flitz myself...and welcome to the forum.

muggsy
09-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Both of my Kahr pistols came with highly polished feed ramps, so polishing wasn't necessary. Mother's makes a lot of good automotive polishes that can be used for a multitude of purposes. I too, am a Flitz man.

kerby9mm
09-01-2013, 01:13 PM
My mk9 & mk40 feedramps also came highly polished so all I do is after cleaning I use a little Liquid Flitz & cotton cloth to renew the shine.

berettabone
09-07-2013, 09:57 AM
I have polished the feed ramps on all of my firearms.................can't hurt...........use the Dremmel with a cone shaped felt attachment.

yqtszhj
09-07-2013, 10:09 PM
I use mothers for the final polish after 1000 and 1500 grit paper. puts a mirror shine on all contact parts.

And like you said it does improve feeding. I can slow rack my CW45 and CM9 after detail polishing every and all contact points.

Dirty Harry
09-08-2013, 06:01 AM
I use Mothers on a lot of things. It works great on hazzy car headlights too.

ripley16
09-08-2013, 07:27 AM
I have polished the feed ramps on all of my firearms.................can't hurt...........use the Dremmel with a cone shaped felt attachment.

If done poorly it can ruin a pistol. There is a risk involved. IMHO, if people enjoy polishing and fondling their gun, that's OK, but I doubt that any actual benefit is derived from extra polishing of a feed ramp unless it has rusted or such.

Nor do I see the logic of taking a gun that probably works just fine all the time, polishing it, and then thinking it now works better. Unless one has a "problem" gun, I'd leave it alone or at least tread lightly.

garyb
09-08-2013, 07:49 AM
I had used Flitz but can see there are other products that could do a good job. I don't see where a light and careful polish to the feed ramp would hurt anything. My PM did come polished, but I did Jocko's prep anyway and never had any problems with her.

berettabone
09-08-2013, 08:42 AM
If done poorly it can ruin a pistol. There is a risk involved. IMHO, if people enjoy polishing and fondling their gun, that's OK, but I doubt that any actual benefit is derived from extra polishing of a feed ramp unless it has rusted or such.

Nor do I see the logic of taking a gun that probably works just fine all the time, polishing it, and then thinking it now works better. Unless one has a "problem" gun, I'd leave it alone or at least tread lightly.
I have owned 2 firearms that had what I'll call " ripples" in the feed ramp. Both firearms were new. A bit of polish to remove the ripples, and give me piece of mind.............knowing that a holllowpoint won't get caught is worth the time. I think pretty much everyone knows, you don't take off major metal......................just a glass like polish.

b4uqzme
09-09-2013, 03:17 PM

Fondling's an awful strong word. Then again, I use Mothers on my shiny parts. :2rolleyes:

getsome
09-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Mongo love Mother's

OldLincoln
09-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Hammer, that's what I did also including Mothers. I removed the recoil spring and studied the action carefully and polished everyplace that was metal on metal. The difference was amazing as it became as smooth as a high quality fishing reel. It really shows the truth when you feed rounds by pushing the slide forward without a spring and cycle the entire mag.

Big tony
09-15-2013, 07:09 PM
I use Simichrome polish probably all the same basic stuff, on my guns, Like my Sig Mosquito I had to take a cotton mop and polish the entire chamber, this was after polishing the throat of the barrel to get it to feed reliably , This thing was a jam o matic with all but wolf target match,and I can't afford 12.00 for 50rds on a plinker.After polishing ,it ran like a singer,funny though my Sig1911 22 feeds anything from agulla 62gr sub sonics to stingers with no problems.I thought GSG made all their 22 or pistols ,who knows

laserfish
09-16-2013, 09:37 AM
I did the same to my almost un-shootable mosquito. Now it runs like a top. Polished all contact surfaces, ramp and chamber. Has not failed to feed or fire since. Would have given it away before and now it is a great practice plinking gun.