PDA

View Full Version : GA State USPSA video

melissa5
09-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Here are 5 of the 9 stages. I forgot to turn the camera on for the other stages. :o Sorry Bawanna! I only have hatcam video of this one since I wasn't on the squad with usual my camera woman.

http://youtu.be/7K4ctXKiMkc

AIRret
09-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Very NICE shooting!
After a match like this do you disassemble your mags. and completely clean them?

If they are really bad can you clean them in-between stages, or do you have to own 20 or 30 mags. for a day like this?

How has running a race gun affected your self defense shooting? I guess I'm asking how the skills transfer?

melissa5
09-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Very NICE shooting!
After a match like this do you disassemble your mags. and completely clean them?

If they are really bad can you clean them in-between stages, or do you have to own 20 or 30 mags. for a day like this?

How has running a race gun affected your self defense shooting? I guess I'm asking how the skills transfer?

Thanks AIRret!

Yes, the mags do need a thorough cleaning. For in between stages, I've got Dawson Precision base plates that are easy to remove...just slide the front of the base plate to the left and they come off. Then I've got a mag cleaning brush. Not sure how the brush would have worked on the mud though. After a rainy, muddy day like yesterday, I have come to the conclusion that I need more than 5 mags or a bottle of water to dunk them in. One mag was so gunked up that I just shook off some of the mud and retired it for the day.

I've never really thought about how the skills would transfer, but just off the top of my head I'd say:

controlled pairs
moving while shooting
shooting around barriers and through ports
shooting moving targets
shooting at weird angles
shooting while backing up

One of the stages that I forgot to video had us sitting handcuffed to a table. We had just enough play to shoot one group of targets weak hand only and the other group strong hand only.

xsailer
09-01-2013, 01:17 PM
First time to see a shooting competition. Thank you for providing it. It looks like a lot of fun and a LOT of practice.

bob

AIRret
09-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Hey Melissa, thanks for the answers, I don't mean to bug you, but then again I will.
I'm always learning.
How many different guns do you carry, and how different are the trigger pulls?

Recently, hubby and I took a MAG 40 class and Massad suggested letting the trigger go all the way forward while still maintaining contact (I was always trying to just go to reset and yet every gun I have has a different reset so how do you dial in when TSHTF) which allows
you to shoot a variety of guns and still be in control!
It's a struggle between, being great with one trigger and having fun shooting a variety of guns.
And yet I try to carry more than one gun most of the time, and it is usually a semi auto
and a 357.
Decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I take my responsibilities seriously and I want to ready to the BEST of my abilities (physically, mentally and with respect to training).

gb6491
09-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Melissa,
Thanks for another excellent video.:)
Regards,
Greg

melissa5
09-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Hey Melissa, thanks for the answers, I don't mean to bug you, but then again I will.
I'm always learning.
How many different guns do you carry, and how different are the trigger pulls?

Recently, hubby and I took a MAG 40 class and Massad suggested letting the trigger go all the way forward while still maintaining contact (I was always trying to just go to reset and yet every gun I have has a different reset so how do you dial in when TSHTF) which allows
you to shoot a variety of guns and still be in control!
It's a struggle between, being great with one trigger and having fun shooting a variety of guns.
And yet I try to carry more than one gun most of the time, and it is usually a semi auto
and a 357.
Decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I take my responsibilities seriously and I want to ready to the BEST of my abilities (physically, mentally and with respect to training).

I have 3 main carry guns...Shield 9mm, M&P 340CT, and Glock 26. The Glock and Shield are kind of similar, but the revo trigger is longer and heavier. I don't even try to shoot from reset anymore. I can do it at the range when I'm going slow and thinking about it, but in a real life situation, it's not ingrained enough for me to do it.

Bawanna
09-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Many of my officers are obsessed with trigger reset. When we transitioned to Glocks they preferred them because the reset wasn't as noticeable on the Smith M&P's or the XD's as I recall.

I maintain when bad things happen and your eye ball to eye ball with the elephant your gonna have a million things going through your head and none of them will involve trigger reset.

Kahrs and most revolver require you to let the trigger all the way out.

Some say you can shoot faster if you only go to reset, probably so my very minimal fractions of a section. Time better spent trying to focus on hitting something meaningfully rather than super rapid spray and pray, although a little praying never hurt nobody neither.

olympicmotorcars
09-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Melissa, watching you makes me realize how poor my shooting skills are. It really makes me want to join one of the action shooting associations and practice more.

Thanks for the video.

muggsy
09-02-2013, 07:27 AM
I have just three questions. How do you find the time, money and ammo? My wife only wanted the simple things in life like diamonds and furs. I can't imagine trying to feed your habit. :)

melissa5
09-02-2013, 08:00 AM
I buy bullets, powder, primers, and cases in bulk and reload. Frankly, I don't practice much. I shoot 2 matches per month and use around 175 rounds for each match. The state match was 300 rounds. :)