PDA

View Full Version : New CM9: is this pitting/flaking normal?

jps330
09-06-2013, 08:14 AM
First off, just want to say that I love this little gun. I just got done putting about 200 rounds through it and noticed what looks like pitting/flaking on the outside of the barrel and on the ejection port (see image link below). If I rub anything over these areas small flakes of metal will come off. Note that the gun has not been cleaned yet. Is this normal, or is this a problem with the plating on the metal?

http://imgur.com/a/j0E7k

RevRay
09-06-2013, 08:20 AM
I'm no expert since I've only had my Kahrs for a few months, but that doesn't look normal to me.

xsailer
09-06-2013, 08:21 AM
It looks like surface abrasion not metal flaking. Pretty sure this is normal wear caused by cycling if gun action. That's what I see in your pictures. My CM9 also has these "rub" markings.

kahrl
09-06-2013, 08:58 AM
I'm no expert since I've only had my Kahrs for a few months, but that doesn't look normal to me.
i'm with you, rev. that doesn't look good. mine shows contact in those areas, but it's polishing, not flaking. .02

jps330
09-06-2013, 09:02 AM
I just took it out to my local gunsmith and he said it was fine and that it looks like some kind of duracoat or something. Does this make sense? He literally took his fingernail to it and was able to scrape a huge amount of flakes off of it. It didn't right when he did it, but the metal finish under the flakes looks normal, so maybe he is right?

xsailer
09-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Re looked at the pictures again. Since the gun is brand new could the flaking be nothing more than the abraded build up of the new gun finish? I would think if the gun was cleaned and then at the next session of shooting it shows even more "flaking" my concerns would be more worrisome. Are the flakes hard or if you rub it between your fingers does it turn to a fine powder?

Bawanna
09-06-2013, 09:41 AM
I'd be tempted to polish the outside of the barrel and hood and shine it all up. It' shines up pretty easy and probably makes the contact points more slippery as well.

gb6491
09-06-2013, 10:05 AM
I just took it out to my local gunsmith and he said it was fine and that it looks like some kind of duracoat or something. Does this make sense? He literally took his fingernail to it and was able to scrape a huge amount of flakes off of it. It didn't right when he did it, but the metal finish under the flakes looks normal, so maybe he is right?
Kahr barrels are nickle plated. You will normally see some wear and polishing on the contact points between the barrel an slide, but we don't usually see them flake like your barrel has towards the muzzle. That said, it will probably not cause any functional issues, but if it bothers you now is the time to contact Kahr about it.
Regards,
Greg

jps330
09-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Re looked at the pictures again. Since the gun is brand new could the flaking be nothing more than the abraded build up of the new gun finish? I would think if the gun was cleaned and then at the next session of shooting it shows even more "flaking" my concerns would be more worrisome. Are the flakes hard or if you rub it between your fingers does it turn to a fine powder?

Here are two better images. The flakes don't really turn to dust, but they are very fine. Does all of this stuff come off when people polish their barrels, or is this truly a defect?

http://imgur.com/a/tCxLf/

JimC
09-06-2013, 10:35 AM
In 2,000 + rounds thru my PM9, my barrel looks nothing like that, not even close.
I would e-mail those pics to Kahr CS and ask them about it.

Bawanna
09-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Good plan. Do that first so they know what's going on. I still think as easy as the barrels are to polish that coating will polish right off and still leave a clean nicer barrel.

But definitely run it by Kahr first before you fire up the polisher.

jps330
09-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Just contacted Kahr, they want me to send it back. Bummer, I'll miss firing this guy for a little while.

JimC
09-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Just contacted Kahr, they want me to send it back. Bummer, I'll miss firing this guy for a little while.

This is the best course of action. ;)

muggsy
09-06-2013, 02:24 PM
You didn't miss it when you didn't have it and you won't miss it when it comes back. At least that's how I see it. All good things come to those who wait.

xsailer
09-06-2013, 02:51 PM
muggsy,
Do you mean "Just what difference does it make now??".

<grin>

SGT5711
09-06-2013, 03:32 PM
I will say Kahr doesn't seem to take anything lightly. I recently started experiencing some problems with my P380 fully failing to return to battery. I purchased my P380 new in January 2013, but it was actually made in 2010.

Based on some advice from our seasoned vets here, most thought it probably just needed new recoil springs. Some said they actually used new springs in the newer P380's.

I sent a detailed e-mail to Jay, and I figured they would just send new springs to try. Almost immediately, Jay sent me a prepaid shipping label to send it back to the factory. I appreciate Kahr not taking the easy road. Been gone about 3 weeks now, and I can't wait to get it back. My K9 just has to keep me company until it returns.

hogsnguns
09-06-2013, 06:34 PM
jps330 , I am just curious, did you clean and lube the gun before the range session ?