PDA

View Full Version : .308 battle rifle

PaiN
05-01-2010, 01:33 PM
To continue building my "only needed guns" gun collection...I have a carry pistol and a combat sidearm, it was time to add a full power battle rifle in carbine length. I wanted something with serious power, reliability and good handling. I really like the M1 Carbine but had questions about the round, I looked at all the AR options but they weren't doing it for me....of course, the M1A Socom/Scout is awesome. The cost is also very prohibitive on most of these type rifles, plus I'd need accessories, mags and ammo. I'd planned to sit back and save up but it still killed me thinking about what I might have to spend...:(
Somewhere in my looking I got turned on to Saiga rifles, all I could find was that these things were affordable, basic dependable and accurate AKs....What is not to like? I couldn't find anything ;) There are plenty of accessories and mag options for them and they eat the inexpensive Russian ammo. The .308 really had my eye after getting my paws on one at local shop, their NIB price was $699+tax....still a bit out of my price range atm, but I knew the Saiga AK .308 was going to be my battle rifle.

Then low & behold, I find one laid in my lap....
Excellent condition only 50-100 rounds through. Bone stock with one 8round mag. I could not let this one pass(never buck divine intervention). Total cost to me, with a little bargaining, after purchase and fees $442.
I plan to add a recoil pad($25) to increase length of pull, a railed scope mount($32) and 4 20r mags($34/ea), I already have a decent sling.
Here's a pic. it should be in my hands late next week.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/BadBoy.jpg

clean...ain't she?
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/BadBoygut.jpg

Bawanna
05-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Now that's nice devine intervention. What can't you possibly not love about that. I have a Scout Squad M1A high on my want list but as you noted they are extremely high end now and have been for quite awhile. I think you scored a nice winner there. Serious medicine, I've played with a few and usually with only minor little glitches and tweaks they are strong and dependable runners. I think you done real good.

jlottmc
05-01-2010, 05:27 PM
You did well, my .308 is an Ishapore made Enfield 2A, and whiole it is a bolt gun it is SCARY accurate. I always wanted to play with the Saiga's, I just haven't found anything around here, nevermind my price range. Another alternative and in my eyes both would be fine weapons with some work, a CETME, and an SKS. The CETME is the forerunner to the G3, and is running about 500 NIB. Accessories are more than plentiful, and it is a 308 to boot. In fact those two are on my short list of to get guns. The SKS is of course a 7.62x39, which hits like a 30-30 out to about 400 yards. I can work with that. But again, well done.

PaiN
05-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Here's a CETME I shot a few years ago(yes I have a pic for everything.. :))
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/015.jpg
I loved the .308 round but the CETME was nothing but one problem after another. I remember trying to sight it at 100y and the guy two bays left starts yelling that we are hitting his target...WTH? That left a bad taste in my mouth for the rifle. Now right in my back yard(Unionville, CT) PTR Inc. (http://www.ptr91.com/) makes the "updated version" called the PTR91. I know a few people that have a PTR91 and they have nothing but praise. But again, the local retail on them is $1300-1400.

swampman
05-01-2010, 06:46 PM
take a look at DPMS LR-308 :)

PaiN
05-02-2010, 07:18 AM
take a look at DPMS LR-308 :)
Nice rifle but ~$1200...:confused:
When I first started looking at "battle rifles" I thought that's about what I have to spend....which killed me because I don't get a chance to shoot rifles all that much.
As it turns out this Saiga .308 is everything I'm looking for at 1/4 the cost of anything else in its class. Even if it doesn't have a match grade trigger, the best finish or a quad-trillion available accessories. It'll be perfect for my needs and wallet.

gb6491
05-02-2010, 10:37 AM
It'll be perfect for my needs and wallet. I'm feeling you PaiN
I was never a big fan of the AK platform (respect it, but wasn't enamored of it) until I bought a .308 Saiga. It's reasonable accurate (haven't really tried to wring it out much: mainly plinking at rubber shooting blocks and steel chickens) and a pleasure to shoot (especially for it's size). I like that size and that it's a .308:)
BTW: I'd love to see them come out with one at the same price point in 7.62x54r.
Here's mine with a my IZH 61 (sights are close enough a like to make it a nice trainer):
http://i41.tinypic.com/2rppso2.jpg
For a size comparision, here's the IZH 61 with my Ruger 10/22:
http://i39.tinypic.com/33jqqvb.jpg
Regards,
Greg

PaiN
05-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks Greg, that is good to hear. I'm sure, as long as the rifle is in the condition and has the use I'm told it does, I'll be more than happy with it.

jeepster09
05-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Gotta love the .308's I just bought a FNAR.

FNAR 7.62x51mm Rifles (http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF049&gid=FNG022)

jeep45238
05-02-2010, 04:50 PM
M1 Garand Sales (http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm)

Really hard to beat $600 for an accurate, durable rifle in .30-06, and the ability to buy ammunition already loaded on enbloc clips for 50 cents a round, or loose for 50 cents a round.

It's pretty hard to beat.

swampman
05-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Nice rifle but ~$1200...:confused:
When I first started looking at "battle rifles" I thought that's about what I have to spend....which killed me because I don't get a chance to shoot rifles all that much.
As it turns out this Saiga .308 is everything I'm looking for at 1/4 the cost of anything else in its class. Even if it doesn't have a match grade trigger, the best finish or a quad-trillion available accessories. It'll be perfect for my needs and wallet.
I bought mine on an impulse buy,I did some research on alot ot them,I called all the lgs in my area and they were out of everything except various DPMS MODELS,they had the exact platform I wanted, I did'nt think it was going to be there the next day,so contemplating on the the obama delima,I thought I surely needed it,i'm glad I have it is a .5 moa shooter and I can hunt deer and hog with it,just wish it could less exspesive.but it's too late for looking back.this is my rifle there are others like it but this one is mine:) let me know how that saiga shoots please...:)

DKD
05-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Damn, I've seen enough AK's for one life time. Looks like an AK47 on steroids given the .308 calibre.

There are also the new uppers for American AR's avaialble in 6.8mm or even a different lower assembly in 260 remmington in 6.5mm should one not want a .308.

swampman
05-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Damn, I've seen enough AK's for one life time. Looks like an AK47 on steroids given the .308 calibre.

There are also the new uppers for American AR's avaialble in 6.8mm or even a different lower assembly in 260 remmington in 6.5mm should one not want a .308.
DPMS offers 11 different calibers :)

PaiN
05-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Getting a "battle rifle" I for the most part thought I'd end up with a Ruger 580 series Mini-14(they go for ~$700-750 NIB around here) The Mini-14 seemed like the reasonable weapon to get. The price was okay(half of an AR, realistically) it has decent iron sights, good handling and reliability. But....the Mini does not even compare to a Saiga .308...and at $400 it was a no brainier :madgrin:

swampman
05-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Getting a "battle rifle" I for the most part thought I'd end up with a Ruger 580 series Mini-14(they go for ~$700-750 NIB around here) The Mini-14 seemed like the reasonable weapon to get. The price was okay(half of an AR, realistically) it has decent iron sights, good handling and reliability. But....the Mini does not even compare to a Saiga .308...and at $400 it was a no brainier :madgrin:
the ranch rifle blued woodstock in .223 was what I bought first,then I had to have an AR-.308,I think I'm through with this gun buying,But on second thought I could see an M1-garand in the near future,Will it never end? :)

Vincent
05-04-2010, 10:55 PM
A .308. But equal to it in every way. 7.5 X 55 Swiss.

K-31 Straight pull bolt action. All machined steel and walnut. Incredible machine work. True art in steel. Very accurate. Shoots .308 bullets just like .308 Win or the 30-06. Military ammo is all match grade stuff.

A beautiful and stout battle rifle in every way.

johnh
05-05-2010, 06:47 AM
You can do a pretty easy pistol grip conversion on that Saiga if you want. Check YouTube and there are some good tutorial videos. Pretty much just drilling/grinding the heads off a couple pins and moving the trigger guard. There are a number of vendors that sell the necessary screws and pin hole plug/fake rivets.

John

PaiN
05-15-2010, 04:52 AM
You can do a pretty easy pistol grip conversion on that Saiga if you want. Check YouTube and there are some good tutorial videos. Pretty much just drilling/grinding the heads off a couple pins and moving the trigger guard. There are a number of vendors that sell the necessary screws and pin hole plug/fake rivets.

John
The converted Saigas do look "cool" but I'm very happy with the rifle's original configuration and plan to keep it "as is". All I wanted to add was a recoil pad for increased length of pull and a Krebs rear peep sight....but because of the 922r laws it looks like I'll have to add a US made(Topco) forend, since I plan to buy some US made 20r mags and want the rifle in compliance....(I'll tell you, 922r is utterly moronic, but that's another thread)
I'll get some pics up as soon as its completed.