PDA

View Full Version : PM40 Wolf Recoil, Striker and Magazine Springs

man1nboat
09-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Man... I just finished changing the recoil springs (inner/outer), striker and four magazine springs on my PM40 with Wolf products. Had to disassemble the recoil assembly to change the inner spring (fairly easy), remove the rear slide plate for the striker spring (easy too), but...... changing the magazine springs honestly was a *****! Glad that's over with and I am glad I did it. The slide is firm, trigger smoother and the magazines are firmer too.

FYI: The recoil spring is the 20.5# vs 18# standard version, striker is 5# vs 6# standard, and the magazine springs are the stronger too. Price $40 total.

muggsy
09-08-2013, 05:04 PM
You are a glutton for punishment. How does she run with the new parts?

man1nboat
09-08-2013, 06:09 PM
@muggsy... Wolf mentioned that the stronger springs would actually ease the recoil. Guess I'll find out this Friday at the range. My main hope is that all the new springs, thorough cleaning, lubing, etc... will cure the minimal ftf issue. Jocko also recommended the springs. Funny that the standard recoil springs are the same for the 9 and 40...

rogerthedodger
09-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Let us know how it goes with the 20.5# recoil spring. I am having trouble as I am recoil sensitive, and my PM40 is hurting my hand like H***.

sas PM9
09-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Let us know how it goes with the 20.5# recoil spring. I am having trouble as I am recoil sensitive, and my PM40 is hurting my hand like H***.

RTD:

I suspected this hurting hand thing with the 40S&W. Arthritis is becoming more of a problem; that is why I went with PM9.

-steve

rogerthedodger
09-15-2013, 12:15 PM
RTD:

I suspected this hurting hand thing with the 40S&W. Arthritis is becoming more of a problem; that is why I went with PM9.

-steveMe too, and my PM9 is my fav gun. I just thought a PM40 would be just as much fun! Ouch!

jocko
09-15-2013, 12:46 PM
@muggsy... Wolf mentioned that the stronger springs would actually ease the recoil. Guess I'll find out this Friday at the range. My main hope is that all the new springs, thorough cleaning, lubing, etc... will cure the minimal ftf issue. Jocko also recommended the springs. Funny that the standard recoil springs are the same for the 9 and 40...

to me never made good sense for the 40 kahrs to take thesame poundage as the 9's... but WTf do I know:amflag:

TucsonMTB
09-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Me too, and my PM9 is my fav gun. I just thought a PM40 would be just as much fun! Ouch!
With the right ammo, your PM40 can be just as easy shooting as a 9mm.

Most 135 grain loads reduce recoil substantially. This is my favorite:
http://viewsfromtucson.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/135-grain.jpg
The reflection partially obscures "135 GR. JHP . . . Q4368". Sorry!

jocko
09-15-2013, 12:54 PM
nice photo..

b4uqzme
09-15-2013, 03:07 PM

Wolf should be right. It's not always the cartridge that causes the sharp recoil but the slide slamming into full open (with worn springs). Stiffer springs will slow the slide enough to take off some of the sharpness. I experienced the same just installing a new factory spring in my k40. The stiffer spring also pushes the slide closed more force-ably which should help your ftf issue. Only downside is that it's even harder to rack (but easier to slingshot) Have you tried it yet?

jocko
09-15-2013, 04:08 PM
if it doesn't tame it down enough PORT THE FOKKER and really enjoy t..

wyntrout
09-15-2013, 04:31 PM
My thoughts exactly... Mag-na-porting helps. And if you need some wussy range ammo, the Privi Partizan or PPU 180-gr FMJ is the lightest recoiling stuff I've run across. As I've said numerous times, after shooting the PPU, anything else is like going from .38 target loads to full-bore .357 magnums... FMJ or SD ammo.

Wynn:)

Buckshotshorty
09-15-2013, 05:04 PM
I added the finger rests to all my mags when they were new. I found a method that really simplified the job.

Take the new spring and follower and push as much of the spring up as possible into the mag...then stick a punch or something similar into the closest witness hole. This takes a great deal of tension off the mag spring. Now you are dealing with only half as much spring fighting you. After you place the end of the mag on simply pull out the punch.