PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Ext Mags

garyb
09-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Are you happy with Kahr's Extended mags; the poly base; mag design, capacity, reliability & performance; etc....?

For example, I look at the extended mags on other compact guns (ie., M&P Shield) that are designed to match the entire base of the grip. Kahr's ext mags kind of stick out there and don't fill the gap in the back of the base of the grip. Cosmetic issue for sure. Overall, I've been very pleased with performance and reliability....never had a glitch. However, others have had issues with followers, springs, etc...

What are your thoughts? You happy? If not, what would you change on the design of their extended mags? Perhaps they will read and consider what Kahr owners have to say.

muggsy
09-08-2013, 05:02 PM
I could never understand the concept of buying a pistol for concealed carry and then stuffing an extended mag in the mag well. Seems to defeat the purpose.

yqtszhj
09-08-2013, 05:20 PM
HarryLee makes a mag extender that works well on the 8 round mags in a CM9. I use it at the range and for trigger time with a grip similar to my CW45.

http://kahrtalk.com/showpost.php?p=255334&postcount=100

Dirty Harry
09-08-2013, 06:20 PM
I could never understand the concept of buying a pistol for concealed carry and then stuffing an extended mag in the mag well. Seems to defeat the purpose.

I agree. I bought an 8 round mag for my CM9 when I bought it. Once I shoot it next weekend and deem it good to carry the 8 round mag will be my reload.

wyntrout
09-08-2013, 07:38 PM
I carry the flushest magazine in my Kahrs... switched to metal ones where available... but carry the largest capacity mags as spares... in an OWB Kydex holder on the opposite side... always! I don't want larger, hand-filling mags!

Wynn:)

Dirty Harry
09-08-2013, 07:56 PM
I carry the flushest magazine in my Kahrs... switched to metal ones where available... but carry the largest capacity mags as spares... in an OWB Kydex holder on the opposite side... always! I don't want larger, hand-filling mags!

Wynn:)

bingo!

Kal0348
09-08-2013, 08:25 PM
I'm really happy to keep the 6rnd cm9 mags...I don't really want any extra capacity in my carry mags, but I'd really appreciate about 1/4 or 3/8" extra baseplate material for my pinky to hang onto.

My Shield 9 has its lower capacity 7 rnd magazine with a polymer baseplate that's a little more than 1/4" thick, and this small extra thickness gives a 4.5" height on the Shield, and makes it possible for me to get enough of my pinky on the thing to give me a more secure grip.

I've been tucking that finger under the Cm9 grip like many here, and I'm almost getting used to gripping the CM9 this way...almost.

I want to keep most of the super low (4.1") height of the CM9 intact, but was wondering if anybody knows of a different baseplate (not extended mag) that might add that little bit of extra gripping surface?

If not, I'll just suck it up and belt or pocket carry this great pistol the way it is.

Thanks.

garyb
09-09-2013, 05:53 AM

I hear ya Muggsy and usually I carry with the short mag too. However, Sometimes I carry the extended mags concealed....depending on the clothing (ie., cooler weather clothing with better concealment). Sometimes I carry the extended mags OWB when I am out scouting in the woods...no need to conceal it and more ammo ready for the pipe. I frequently use the extended mags at the range. Sometimes I carry a spare ext mag OWB too. There are other uses for the extended mags.

Anyway, the point of the thread was to discuss the extended mags and whether folks were happy with them or if there were any changes they might suggest to Kahr.