PDA

View Full Version : Mystery from the "MOTHERSHIP"

Dirty Dave
09-10-2013, 05:42 PM
In the process of a follow-up call re: progress of my Tommy's surgery, I learned that some re-designing is taking place....like changing the bolt & extractor so that the extracter is pinned to the bolt. After reading on this forum of some extractor horror stories, do ya think this might be a good idea? I was telling the rep of my examination of one of my semi-auto pistols that had an extractor almost 2 inches long in the slide. The extractor has a thicker area in the center where a pin is inserted vertically. This becomes a pivot point. At the rear of the extractor, a small hole is machined in the slide to accept a small coil spring which forces the opposite end (where the claw is) to grab the rim of the cartridge. DUH? ROCKET SCIENCE FROM A NEARLY 100 YEAR OLD PISTOL whose extractor has not removed itself in the nearly 50 years that I have owned it! LIKE.....MAYBE....something like this should have been already done? I know....$.....a couple more steps in the process of machining. Based on what I was told, I thought that upon clicking on "parts" I might actually view an updated bolt and or extractor that could be ordered. No such luck. SILLY ME! TICK...TOCK goes my warranty.:86:

Ghostsoldier
09-11-2013, 06:19 AM
You need to get yourself one of those aluminum foil hats, Dave, when dealing with the "mothership", lol. ;)
Rob

Dirty Dave
09-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Update: Another phone conversation with customer service. (forgot to wear foil hat) Advised him of my post in this forum, especially my remarks on 100 year old extractor design & that the concept of a dovetailed groove for the extractor with merely a little knob on the back end was a recipe for disaster & also stated that the statement in an earlier post re: buying extra extractors was a huge p.r. negative as to reliability. He said "you're right". End of call. My bank account is also nearly 2k lighter!

Dirty Dave
09-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Week # 4 followup call. Told It's in the que (did I spell that right?) to go to the gunsmith. Sure glad it's not my car. 2011 car had "check engine" light on last week. In dealership @ 7:00 am. Charcoal fuel line canister replaced & ready to be picked up by 3:00 pm SAME DAY! I'll be looking at a month here & still without .

b4uqzme
09-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Good thing you don't drive your tommy gun to work every day. :D. I'm sure it's hard to be patient. It's easy for me to say but hang in there. Thanks for the updates.

I think it's spelled: queue.

Dino
09-17-2013, 06:59 PM
I lost some brain cells trying to figure this one out. What the hell are you talking about?

b4uqzme
09-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Dirty Dave's tommy gun is back at he factory for repairs and he's understandably anxious. Or were you asking about his idea for redesigning the extractor? When your gun is at he factory for a month it gives you a lot of time for thinking.