PDA

View Full Version : .22 Practice Pistol to Simulate CM9

Hawkeye
09-21-2013, 05:42 AM
To save on ammo costs, I am looking for a .22 caliber practice gun to supplement my CM9. I want something similar in size and action to the CM9. The Taurus PT22 appears to me to be the closest thing available. According to the specs, the trigger is DAO and of similar pull weight. Of course, the recoil will be different but that is a given.

Can anyone with experience with the PT22 comment? Or, does someone know of another pistol that is a good candidate?

I know the PT22 and many Taurus guns get mixed reviews. I am not going to bet my life on it, but only use it for economical practice.

Thanks.

97harley
09-21-2013, 06:25 AM
You might get the size close but the recoil is so much more with a 9mm in a small PM9. I know ammo is expensive and I love shooting my buckmark pistol but it dosen't do much to simulate any other gun I shoot.

Hawkeye
09-21-2013, 06:35 AM
It's funny you mention Buckmark. I have a Browning Challenger I bought new in 1963. Nice pistol. However, I see little value in practicing with it relative to the CM9. That is why I am considering selling it and buying a PT22. All my other handgun shooting has been Cowboy Action with single-action revolvers. I have gotten out of that and sold those guns.

garyb
09-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Agree. I don't see how you will come close unless Kahr makes a 22 to duplicate that model. The closest I've seen is the S&W M&P line. The M&P line of guns are almost exactly the same in your hand...including the trigger and the sights. I put matching Dawson front sights on my M&P22 and M&P40PRO. Once the trigger is pulled, obviously, shooting them is an entirely different story. Not to mention that it is easier for me to reload 40's than it is to find bulk 22 ammo to burn. I don't see how you will find anything to simulate your CM in another manufacturer's 22. Just my opinion. Just shoot the CM a lot and have fun with it. Get into Reloading. Probably a good time for that now that ammo is crazy. Reloading is a lot of fun...great hobby. You can develop your own puffy load for the range to have fun with.

deadeye
09-21-2013, 09:00 AM
I was looking for the same thing. Couldn't find anything. Stumbled onto a Gamo P23 CO2 pistol. The feel and trigger pull is almost identical to my CM9. Been practicing in my garage. Cheap to shoot and what it has done for me is unreal. Been shooting cowboy guns for 60 years. Had to learn trigger squeeze all over again. Cussed my CM9 'cause it was so inaccurate. Hmmm. Wasn't the CM9 after all. Could barely hit a 8 1/2 X 11" sheet of paper to begin with. Can put 6 holes in a 5" diameter circle now. Hope to get better.

Hawkeye
09-21-2013, 09:35 AM
That’s a thought. I have a .22 caliber Stoeger Suppressor X20S scoped pellet rifle (break-barrel) I shoot off my deck. Lots of inexpensive good practice and fun but nothing at all like a handgun of course. Also, I don't have to drive to a range.

Not sure what your pistol costs to shoot. The CO2 cartridges would be the main thing.

Bill K
09-21-2013, 09:53 AM
I think your idea is best met with .22 conversion kits like made for a number of Glocks and 1911s. I use my Airsoft Glock 26 and XDM compact .45 blow-back pistols for safe and economical fast draw and point & Shoot practice. I believe dry fire practice is also very beneficial and saves ammo. However, this is not to short change live fire practice/training.

deadeye
09-21-2013, 10:20 AM
That’s a thought. I have a .22 caliber Stoeger Suppressor X20S scoped pellet rifle (break-barrel) I shoot off my deck. Lots of inexpensive good practice and fun but nothing at all like a handgun of course. Also, I don't have to drive to a range.

Not sure what your pistol costs to shoot. The CO2 cartridges would be the main thing.

Figured it out once. With that particular gun it is 1.2 cents per shot.

Hawkeye
09-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks. Much lower cost than any firearm.

Hawkeye
09-21-2013, 01:56 PM
I was looking for the same thing. Couldn't find anything. Stumbled onto a Gamo P23 CO2 pistol. The feel and trigger pull is almost identical to my CM9. Been practicing in my garage. Cheap to shoot and what it has done for me is unreal. Been shooting cowboy guns for 60 years. Had to learn trigger squeeze all over again. Cussed my CM9 'cause it was so inaccurate. Hmmm. Wasn't the CM9 after all. Could barely hit a 8 1/2 X 11" sheet of paper to begin with. Can put 6 holes in a 5" diameter circle now. Hope to get better.

I have read some reviews and this does seem like a possibility. The main thing that bothers me are several comments about noise. One person said it is about the same as a .22 short. If it is too loud to shoot in my yard and I have to drive to a shooting range, I may as well shoot a firearm.

Comments?

deadeye
09-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Don't know where you live but I live in town and have no problem shooting in my yard or in my garage. It has a little "pop" but isn't nearly a loud as a .22. I have a .22 but sure wouldn't shoot it in my yard. I have a friend on the police force and asked him about shooting it in town. He said it isn't a firearm, so no problem.

gmcjetpilot
09-21-2013, 04:42 PM
I have two 22LR Pistols

Ruger MarkIII 22/45 Target, Bull Barrel, Adjustable sights and Rail. I added a Bushnell Red Dot.

Ruger SR22 Threaded Barrel.

The Ruger SR22 is a pistol with a slide, like a CM9. The MrkIII 22/45 is also a semi-auto self feed but bolt action. Both are great, accurate and reliable.

A year ago, you could go down to wally world and by 1000 rounds of 22LR for $45 bucks. You are lucky to buy 100 to 150 rounds of 9mm for that. Although 22LR is still cheap, local stock is hard to find this last year. If you order on-line you pay about 10.5 cents a round now, verses 4.5 cents a year ago. Prices will fall and availability will improve. With that said, it is still cheaper and always will be cheaper than throwing 9mm lead down range.

22LR is good for rodent control, small game, squirrel, rabbit and just fun plinking and target practice. Recoil is low already, but 22LR handguns tend to (not always) be made HEAVY with LONG barrels. Recoil is small and accuracy is good. You can't compare it to a CM9. You can pound nails with a 22LR with some practice.

They do make tiny "derringer" 22's that use magnum loads, typically a one or two shot deal. Those are sporty.

muggsy
09-21-2013, 04:56 PM
To save on ammo costs, I am looking for a .22 caliber practice gun to supplement my CM9. I want something similar in size and action to the CM9. The Taurus PT22 appears to me to be the closest thing available. According to the specs, the trigger is DAO and of similar pull weight. Of course, the recoil will be different but that is a given.

Can anyone with experience with the PT22 comment? Or, does someone know of another pistol that is a good candidate?

I know the PT22 and many Taurus guns get mixed reviews. I am not going to bet my life on it, but only use it for economical practice.

Thanks.

If you are just looking to improve your double action skills the PT22 Poly would be a good choice. It has about a 7# pull, but it's very smooth. .

jocko
09-21-2013, 05:32 PM
seems to be in my area that 22 ammo is scarcier than 9mm ammo. OUor walmart hasn'thad any in ages.

Hawkeye
09-22-2013, 02:43 AM
I have managed to pick up about 1500 rounds of .22LR in the past two months mainly by shopping local gun shops. To date they have all had a limit of two 50-round boxes per customer. Before that, zip. 9mm was and is about the same during this time period. They are coming back.

I sold a .357 1892 lever action clone for Cowboy Action early this year. I bought a 1973 Marlin Century Ltd. lever action with original scope. This was a shooter not a safe queen like so many. I have wanted to sight it in but not use up the limited .22 ammo I had. I plan to get that done this week.

garyb
09-22-2013, 08:56 AM
seems to be in my area that 22 ammo is scarcier than 9mm ammo. OUor walmart hasn'thad any in ages.

Exactly right Jocko. It is hard to find 22 ammo now. Gets bought up too fast to find. That's why I suggested for him to just shoot his 9 more...or reload for it. Easier to find components than ammo. Better practice too. Anyway, a 22 is a nice gun to own too. Not trying to talk him out of buying a new 22 by any means. I'm glad I have my M&P compatibles which includes the 22 and 40, but have not shot the 22 as much as I would like to have....due to the ammo situation. Sooo....I just reload more 40's and shoot em up.

addictedhealer
09-22-2013, 09:01 AM
Maybe Ruger SR22?

Wish Kahr would make a cm size 22.

muggsy
09-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Maybe Ruger SR22?

Wish Kahr would make a cm size 22.

The SR22 has one of the worst double action trigger pulls that I've ever encountered on a gun. It's gritty, loaded with creep and stacks badly. It's only double action for the first pull. He'd have to decock it after every shot to practice double action.

GEARHEAD_ENG
09-29-2013, 08:29 AM
My Walther PPK 22LR copy is almost exactly the same size as my CM9 with the 7rd extended mag. Its a DA/SA so the trigger feel is a little different. Its a blast to shoot though and trouble free.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

gmcjetpilot
10-01-2013, 07:15 PM
seems to be in my area that 22 ammo is scarcier than 9mm ammo. OUor walmart hasn'thad any in ages.Look on Gunbroker.... I just bought 1400 rounds of Remington Golden 22LR for $120. To the door it was $140. The bulk ammo counted out to almost 1500 rounds. So I paid about 0.09 a round. You can buy all the 22LR you want if you are willing to pay double of what it was and should be.

I reload 9mm. The cost (not including my time) is about $0.21 a round.

Scortch500
10-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Probably hard to get a .22 to sub for your 9mm for meeting your objective
I use an SR 22 for cheap target practice.
I agree it has a long nasty DA trigger pull.
But it is a DA/SA gun
It's very smooth if you cock it and shoot SA only
Plus it will eat any .22LR ammo whereas other .22 pistols can be fussy.
Dry fire practice may be boring but I also understand it can be helpful

skiflydive
10-04-2013, 08:47 AM
I really like my Bersa Thunder 22. Its a tad heavier than my CM9 but it's a decent gun with a nice trigger.