PDA

View Full Version : Ever NOT carry?

garyb
09-23-2013, 05:52 AM
Just went 2 days without carrying. Saturday I spent with my wife at home and simply didn't pick up my piece....unusual. Sunday we attended a clam bake with all the clams you could eat and beer you can drink. Alcohol and guns don't mix. Didn't have my piece either day. This rarely happens and it felt kind of strange leaving the house without it.
Ever find yourself in a non carry situation? :confused:

Tinman507
09-23-2013, 06:27 AM
I am in that position frequently. Any time I have to to go New Jersey or Delaware. Can't even keep it in the car those days. Completely naked & defenseless. Not a good feeling at all.

JohnR
09-23-2013, 06:33 AM
Quite often. I attend a lot of school functions with my daughter, so no carrying on school property. Our church is on school property, or the school is on church property. Statistically, I have a 1/2 of 1% chance of being a crime victim in Florida, and carrying changes that only slightly, assuming I can use the weapon before the crime takes place. Not a huge advantage but my life could depend on it.

Work takes me to strange places sometimes and I carry 100% of the time when I'm out for work, or if it's after dark.

You're not naked and defenseless without a gun, your mind is the weapon. I keep pepper spray in the car, there are non-lethal weapons we can use for self defense. Good situational awareness will usually keep you out of trouble.

AIRret
09-23-2013, 06:34 AM
Not often, but there are times like;
Going to the VA, Church, large sporting event etc. at those times I lock my gun (I only carry one at these times) in a car safe which is cabled to the seat.

I don't fly with a gun, check or not; I'm just uncomfortable changing planes etc.

I don't carry at all if I have to have any medical procedure that involve sedatives, etc.
When comes to medical procedures I'm lucky enough that when we leave the hospital my Hubby is still able to carry.

I really feel naked without a gun(s), and yet it's only been in the last 3 years that I carry WHENEVER possible. These days I have a difficult time understanding why I feel so different............then again, our world has changed dramatically since 2008.

When I bought my first handgun 27 years ago (sig 226) life was very different, and besides one was all I could afford to own and shoot.

All that being said, now I can't imagine not carrying!

muggsy
09-23-2013, 08:02 AM
I don't go where my gun can't go.

johnh
09-23-2013, 08:06 AM
We have no carry zones in Missouri. Really two types, ones you cannot carry, and those places posted no-carry but that are legal to otherwise. The latter mean that you have to leave if asked to do so, but commit no crime unless you carry there and refuse to leave if asked. So these issues mean I do not carry at times. I admit I am a bit lazy about it given our low crime rate. I need to do better as I feel part of being a supporter of CCW and an advocate of its importance in reducing crime through deterrence, is being part of the deterrent by carrying.

jocko
09-23-2013, 09:29 AM
nofederal building,s school zones, definitely I don't carry. Hospitals. I tendto just storeit in the glove box, comon sense prevails after that..

Bawanna
09-23-2013, 09:39 AM
If there's a metal detector I can't get around I don't carry. I know where they are so I don't go to those places.

I don't adhere to gun free school policies. I was a new derelict when my kids were in school, helped in class room and PTA events. Never without a gun on me. Now working for the PD it's less of an issue since I'd know the guy coming to get me if they wanted to make a fuss.

For some reason most of our hospitals have no gun signs, which I of course adhere to vigilantly and make sure I'm well concealed.

When I had to stay in a hospital a couple times wife took it from me as I got into the peek a boo show your backside gown and had it waiting for me when I got ready to leave.

Only exception was when I did the brain bump removal, I was out of it for 6 months or so, she didn't bring it to me when I got ready to leave. Co workers got me a new gun to help with the recovery, kept it next to me the whole time empty.

jocko
09-23-2013, 09:53 AM
humm, out of it for 6 months, I guess that is when John made u a mod???? Figures!!!

Bawanna
09-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Slightly before that but it might have helped my qualifications or lack thereof.

The key word was lethargic. Very weird.

ParabellumJ
09-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Everyday while at work. Store it in a car safe in my trunk. Not something I like to do but policy is policy.

TheTman
09-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Sometimes I'm in a hurry and forget to grab my pocket 9mm. Then places like my Dr. Office, and the places outlined in the law that are forbidden, courthouses, post office, etc. I usually keep my Charter Arms .44 special in the car for when I forget to grab my 9, but right now I have it loaned to my daughter.

Bawanna
09-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Do people really disarm to go to the freaking post office? Really?

skiflydive
09-23-2013, 10:41 AM
When I go to places prohibited by my CPL and when we go to the nudist resort...

Yogi 117
09-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Me & the Mrs are spending 8 days in Whistler B.C. Canada, so had to leave all weapons behind. Not a great feeling to be un-armed. Keep reaching for where the weapon and/or mag carrier resides & feel emptiness. An eerie feeling for sure! :eek:

garyb
09-23-2013, 10:46 AM
I guess when I wrote the initial thread, I was thinking more about how naked I felt. Kind of like the feeling of leaving with your car without having the car keys....just don't feel like you can do it. You know what I mean? After having it for so long and regularly, I felt like I was really missing it. Probably why breasts are so appealing now...haha.

Bawanna
09-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Me & the Mrs are spending 8 days in Whistler B.C. Canada, so had to leave all weapons behind. Not a great feeling to be un-armed. Keep reaching for where the weapon and/or mag carrier resides & feel emptiness. An eerie feeling for sure! :eek:

Canada is a little over 2 hours away for me. Last time I was there I think was our honeymoon in Pentiction 28 years ago. Don't recall being back since.
Kind of sad since there are some pretty cool places up there. Victoria and the area around there is really something to see.

I'm still trying to digest the nudist camp situation.........that never occurred to me before. Surely there has to be some place to hang you piece while visiting.

warbird1
09-23-2013, 10:54 AM
I don't go where my gun can't go.
My thoughts exactly.

Yogi 117
09-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Canada is a little over 2 hours away for me. Last time I was there I think was our honeymoon in Pentiction 28 years ago. Don't recall being back since.
Kind of sad since there are some pretty cool places up there. Victoria and the area around there is really something to see.

I'm still trying to digest the nudist camp situation.........that never occurred to me before. Surely there has to be some place to hang you piece while visiting.
It was a tough decision, but we really wanted to see the Whistler area, so I went along. Doesn't make me feel safer by any means! :eek:

We are having a great time & the scenery in the Whistler area is absolutely gorgeous. When we get home Wednesday, opening the gun safe will be the first order of business. :D

skiflydive
09-23-2013, 11:30 AM

Trigger guard is too small and there isn't supposed to be anything in there if you aren't shooting something... Easy folks... both kinds of shooting something are seriously frowned on at nudist resorts...just sayin'

7shot
09-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Everyday while at work. Store it in a car safe in my trunk. Not something I like to do but policy is policy.

same here :(

berettabone
09-23-2013, 12:16 PM
My thoughts exactly.
Correctimundo..................................... ................can't carry, don't go................

bob98366
09-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Don't carry at work (private company with no firearms policy) and military bases. But I don't shop on base since military retirement due to no firearms. Kroger and Walmart get most of that money.

jocko
09-23-2013, 03:32 PM
our post office is so so small, I could faint and hit my head on the utter wall, so I don't worry alot about a mass shooting happening there and I do not carry one in there either.Its federal and I respect that and I just move on. I pay zero attention to signs that say no guns if it is not a law, as I don't flaunt it in front of anyone, so it is never an issues with me. the open carry guys will just have to adjust or be prepared to be botted out of alot of joints. I just really think it is so so stupid to test the system with this open carry sh!t. Its "someones" business, I think we should respect them period, I really have no issues with open carry utter than ur gonna getchallenged more often than not, and as much as u think u have that right to open carry, I as a busimessman also have that right to say NO. I didn't like to have men come into my business with no top on, I made allowance for women though. Just sayin

Dirty Harry
09-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Only when I'm sleeping.

ltxi
09-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Just went 2 days without carrying. Saturday I spent with my wife at home and simply didn't pick up my piece....unusual. Sunday we attended a clam bake with all the clams you could eat and beer you can drink. Alcohol and guns don't mix. Didn't have my piece either day. This rarely happens and it felt kind of strange leaving the house without it.
Ever find yourself in a non carry situation? :confused:

Yeah. When I dropped by the sheriff's office today. Left my gun in the car.

b4uqzme
09-23-2013, 06:35 PM
when we go to the nudist resort...

That's when I open carry. Just sayin'.

GROTMAN
09-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Would that be lcp or 1911?

Armybrat
09-23-2013, 07:24 PM
My thoughts exactly.

Well, I guess y'all never go into a post office or a school football game.

berettabone
09-23-2013, 09:36 PM
My post office doesn't have a sign, so.....................................

Jeremiah/Az
09-23-2013, 11:30 PM
Only time I don't carry is into the Post Office. They have, at the doors, what looks like metal detectors you have to walk thru. I have never tested them or heard them set off. May be phonies, I don't know.

My Grandson's weddin' is this week end & I will be armed.

Popeye
09-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Yes but not often. Sports events and things like that mostly.

Barth
09-24-2013, 03:59 PM
When I have to fly to Kalifornia on business.
It's unsettling.
I came close to being mugged there on a trip.
And had nothing on me but my Spyderco.
Fortunately things didn't go south.

And naturally anywhere not allowed by Florida law.

jocko
09-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Yes but not often. Sports events and things like that mostly.

to a Pacer game about 2 years ago and they frisked every person who camein. Basically I had to open my coat, raise my sweater and pants leg, no real person to person contact. Wife had to open her purse.

Come to find out a year later when I went to anutter function at Market Square, they were doing about the same sh!t. I ask the guy, what the hell your loking for. He said bottles, beer, anything glass. We sell it inside here and we do'twant people carrying in their own liquids. So maybe the gun thing was not in their search, even though they might have pooped a turd had toe found one..:Amflag2:

jocko
09-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Only time I don't carry is into the Post Office. They have, at the doors, what looks like metal detectors you have to walk thru. I have never tested them or heard them set off. May be phonies, I don't know.

My Grandson's weddin' is this week end & I will be armed.

shotgun wedding I presume?????:amflag::D:D

Bawanna
09-24-2013, 04:16 PM
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/TheSeafords0353.jpg (http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/hopke5/media/TheSeafords0353.jpg.html)

I enjoy a good shotgun wedding.

garyb
09-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Looks like he's still smiling! Probably because he got himself a good catch.

Bawanna
09-24-2013, 04:19 PM
He's smiling with relief, I just told him I decided to let him live. He still acts nervous around me and that's a good thing.

Bawanna
09-24-2013, 04:21 PM
I've been after the bridesmaid and the bridesmaids mother for years.

Her boyfriend is afraid of me too. And I enjoys that too.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/TheSeafords0363.jpg (http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/hopke5/media/TheSeafords0363.jpg.html)

jocko
09-24-2013, 04:45 PM
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/TheSeafords0353.jpg (http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/hopke5/media/TheSeafords0353.jpg.html)

like a real hard ass:Amflag2: Just sayin

jocko
09-24-2013, 04:48 PM
I've been after the bridesmaid and the bridesmaids mother for years.

Her boyfriend is afraid of me too. And I enjoys that too.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/TheSeafords0363.jpg (http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/hopke5/media/TheSeafords0363.jpg.html)

does ol jocko get from this photo: U invited all your friends and as you can see THEY ALL SHOWED UP TO. Just sayin:D

Bawanna
09-24-2013, 05:06 PM
More beer for me, it was awesome.

jocko
09-24-2013, 05:25 PM
I bet crabby ass got an invite but not ur ol buddy ol jocko. I understand. Just sayin

Bawanna
09-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Aw crap, now you made me cry ya old goat. Now I feel lower than pond scum.

Armybrat
09-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Well, you can drown your sorrows in the beer keg.

Tomorrow is another day!

Acasper708
09-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Every day :-(
I'm stuck in IL!

jlottmc
09-26-2013, 08:31 PM
Just when I go into the jail, or the shower. That's about it.

Dirty Harry
09-26-2013, 08:49 PM

Policy is the same at my job. LCP in the front pocket. Concealed is just that concealed.

Bawanna
09-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Just when I go into the jail, or the shower. That's about it.

I used to put mine in a double zip lock bag and take it with me in the shower. I've gone soft with time in more ways than one.

berettabone
09-26-2013, 10:28 PM
I used to put mine in a double zip lock bag and take it with me in the shower. I've gone soft with time in more ways than one.
Keep it dry and keep it lubed and it will work when you need it;)

Jeremiah/Az
09-26-2013, 10:58 PM
shotgun wedding I presume????? "Jocko quote"

No hurry this time far as I know!:D

jdlott74
09-29-2013, 03:44 PM

I SO still love that pic...and he's a NC boy, so I can't complain...

jocko
09-29-2013, 04:26 PM
look at that photo, now who looks the most pissed, who looks like sh!t nthe photo.He looks as happy as a 8 year old child who just seen his pet dog "fuffy" get run over by a dumpster truck pouring ice cream out the back of it. Just sayin

Bawanna
09-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Must be the chair.

ltxi
09-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Maybe so but, while completely agreeing with jocko, from all pics I've seen you've never looked happier.

Bawanna
09-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Looking again I can see that that is my happy face. It was in the 90's wearing a penguin suit but I was still wearing my happy face.

Gray_Rider
09-30-2013, 02:26 AM
Bawanna, you are a national treasure.

Just say'n...

Gray_Rider
Deo Vindice!
We warned you in 1862!