PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing out grip serations.

Dueeast
09-24-2013, 12:31 PM
I'd like to eliminate the front grip serations on my CM9. And smooth out a little the ones in the rear of the grip. I've modified Glocks before, but has anyone safely done this with their Kahr?? The way mine came from the factory are too sharp. I don't want to cover them, just make it more pleasant to handle.

muggsy
09-24-2013, 12:36 PM
You could try shoe shining them with very fine emery cloth and then a quick wipe with acetone to restore the shine.

Bawanna
09-24-2013, 12:38 PM
I took a wood burner to mine and kind of melted them down and then stippled it.

You could be a little less aggressive and just round off the sharp little squares.

A needle file would accomplish the same thing but would take longer to accomplish.

garyb
09-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Don't know if I could bring myself to do it. My wife laughs at me for modifying things, but I rarely permanently modify a gun or a bow. I Agriped mine until they went sour. Leaving it as is for awhile to see if I get adjusted.

Rubb
09-24-2013, 02:14 PM
3 words...bicycle inner tube :)

RevRay
09-24-2013, 03:39 PM
3 words...bicycle inner tube :)

I would recommend this route ... once you modify something the resale value plummets.

Rubb
09-24-2013, 03:48 PM
I would recommend this route ... once you modify something the resale value plummets.

Bingo :D

jocko
09-24-2013, 03:58 PM
the Rev is right ion target. that being said if ur buyig to resell and think ur gonna do OK, then why buy in the fiurst place. If it is a gun u trust and want to put ur life in its hands, then indeed do what makes you and the gun feel totally as one unit. If u wanna see a ugly ass POSA kahr look at jocko's custom PM9. No doubt I have alot of money in that gun to make it MINE and not yours, so I could care less what the value will be down the road. IT AIN'T GOIN ANYWHERE. I have seen some damn super nice looking grip stiplying jobs on kahrs, that IMO would not lower the value, certainly won't increase it either, but u never know that either, as maybe a real shooter who knows the values of stipplying etc and some of the utter mods we do to our kahrs. He might indeed really appreciate that fully knowing that he would have spent moneyt o get it that way anyhow.
So you do what u feel is good for you and u ask our opinions and you got um..:Amflag2::Amflag2:

jocko
09-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Don't know if I could bring myself to do it. My wife laughs at me for modifying things, but I rarely permanently modify a gun or a bow. I Agriped mine until they went sour. Leaving it as is for awhile to see if I get adjusted.

modified my first wife. cost me a bundle to do it, but I ever looked back either; Just sayiun:eek:

RevRay
09-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Am I the only one ... or are there other guys on here who like jocko. I wouldn't mind actually meeting him FTF some day ... just saying.

Maybe we should organize some kind of KahrTalk convention ... there's a Motel 6 not far from here that would probably do.

Bawanna
09-24-2013, 04:12 PM
I don't want to meet him, I been around old goats enough already without meeting up with another.

garyb
09-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Hope she turned out REAL GOOD for you! Did it increase or lower the value?....haha
Stippled? Never mind......haha.

garyb
09-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Am I the only one ... or are there other guys on here who like jocko. I wouldn't mind actually meeting him FTF some day ... just saying.

Maybe we should organize some kind of KahrTalk convention ... there's a Motel 6 not far from here that would probably do.

Wait a minute....meet up with Jocko at a Motel 6? :eek:
What are you thinking?
Ha ha. :D

jocko
09-24-2013, 04:53 PM

big fokking mistake:Amflag2::Amflag2:

there isn't a damn thing wrong with a Motel 6. Had some nice chicks come to my door within 30 minutes of checkingin on a Harley. and I bein a happily married man, when answering the door, would say: "sure I'm lonely come right in".:Amflag2:

everyone has to earn a livin and I am an ovomit fan, I want to spread the wealth.:Amflag2:

jocko
09-24-2013, 04:56 PM
I don't want to meet him, I been around old goats enough already without meeting up with another.

self invite, u would not be there anyhow:amflag: U know it is winter time and I willbe getting in a fresh batch of horses from out west, so please be nice:amflag::amflag:

addictedhealer
09-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Talon rubberized grips. Work great and feel great. Plus you don't have to physically alter the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

muggsy
09-24-2013, 07:07 PM

I'm pretty sure that besides Bawanna you're the only one, Ray and I'm not so sure about Bawanna. You have to be as crazy as a bed bug to like Jocko. :)

sharpenit
09-25-2013, 10:46 AM
I'd like to eliminate the front grip serations on my CM9. And smooth out a little the ones in the rear of the grip. I've modified Glocks before, but has anyone safely done this with their Kahr?? The way mine came from the factory are too sharp. I don't want to cover them, just make it more pleasant to handle.

Ditto on innertube. Have a look:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13186&highlight=innertube+sharpenit

TheTman
09-25-2013, 11:27 AM
I used the Handall Jr. Took care of the problem. Before that, I wore a pair of shorty biker gloves to keep the grips from rubbing my hands raw.

Bawanna
09-25-2013, 11:39 AM
My favorite for a cover type is the Qwik Grip. Best looking of the bunch in my book.

I've gotten away from cover types though. Prefer to modify and make it work for me rather than cover it with a band aid.

Folks with big hands who need bulk, the Qwik Grip is the ticket or any of the cover types.

I also endorse the innertube, I did that for quite awhile and it works very well.

jocko
09-25-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that besides Bawanna you're the only one, Ray and I'm not so sure about Bawanna. You have to be as crazy as a bed bug to like Jocko. :)

u have not slept at a Motel 6,then u have no gripe about bed bugs. Just sayin.

U know those fokkers gotta live to .

Tilos
09-25-2013, 01:15 PM
cheap, reversable:D

muggsy
09-29-2013, 07:43 AM
I hate to admit it, but Bawanna is right. The Qwik Grip looks the best and it stays in place. I have one on my CM9 and wouldn't have any other. Unfortunately Lone Wolf has discontinued manufacturing the grip. You can still find a few on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/LWD-Qwik-Grip-26-36/dp/B0096C098Q

Bawanna
09-29-2013, 10:51 AM
I think Lone Wolf was the distributor not the manufacturer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I know many suggested buying from them because you couldn't buy on line or use a CC at Qwik Grip direct.

I hope that's the case anyhow.

TucsonMTB
09-29-2013, 11:49 AM
I think Lone Wolf was the distributor not the manufacturer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I know many suggested buying from them because you couldn't buy on line or use a CC at Qwik Grip direct.

Hey, Bawanna! As usual, you are correct.

As I understand it, Mr. Barry Scott is the manufacturer. He is the gentleman who owns the Qwikgrip.com domain, the internet home of Qwik Grips. I believe he is (or at least was) located geographically in Fallbrook, California.

I just sent an email inquiry to Barry, who has been very helpful and generous to me in the past.

Right now, his web site does not appear to be active. That's not a good sign. :eek:

hardluk1
09-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Inner tubes can be free for a old used ones if you have a bike shop near your daily travels. Look for a 1.75" size.

Dueeast
09-29-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm in the process of sanding them down. I have the bumps down to where there is no trace of them. I'm now using 800 grit sandpaper. Now I have to figure a way to get a little bit of "shine" restored. I'm open to suggestions for this next step. I'll post pics when completed.

TucsonMTB
09-29-2013, 02:43 PM

Hey, Bawanna!

Here's the reply from Barry, the owner of Qwik Grips . . .

Yes. Lone Wolf ran out. For the time being I have closed shop. BUT. I will be back later in 2014.

Been moving. Getting a new place to live. Re-married and so much more.

So. As McArthur once said. I Shall Return.

Barry

I have no doubt it will be worth the wait . . . :)

sharpenit
09-30-2013, 07:04 AM
I'm in the process of sanding them down. I have the bumps down to where there is no trace of them. I'm now using 800 grit sandpaper. Now I have to figure a way to get a little bit of "shine" restored. I'm open to suggestions for this next step. I'll post pics when completed.

Will be interesting to see.