PDA

View Full Version : PM9 in a Smart Carry Holster by ClownBlaster3000 on GlockTalk

Cappy
09-14-2009, 12:49 AM
By: ClownBlaster3000
Picked up a smart carry for my Kahr after much deliberation on what kind of holster to get. I had been using it as a pocket carry but I'm losing weight and as I get smaller pants... my pockets are also getting smaller so the kahr became uncomfortable to pocket carry. And if it's uncomfortable after a while I'll just stop doing it. I'm still a big boy so I got a holster that would hopefully still be useful no matter how much more weight I do or don't lose. So I got the smart carry. Guys I gotta say these things are wonderful. I don't even feel the gun. I wear T-Shirts under my regular shirt so it doesn't rub me raw or anything. I got the Security Model so I can wear it in the front or spin it around for small of the back carry. I can also keep a spare mag in the other pouch and my ID and Carry permit in the rear pouch. The thing that makes this the best choice for me is that I go to the Gym three times a week. When I go I wear sweat shorts. Hard to carry in sweat shorts because they usually don't have a belt and anything that clips to the shorts will probably pull them down. So I was never able to carry when in my gym clothes. With this holster it wears under my gym shorts and it barely prints through my shorts and with my t-shirt hanging over my gym shorts... it can't be seen at all. So pretty much unless I'm naked... I can carry. Which is good because I often find myself running to the store or gas station at night after the gym and those are times when bad things can happen. I've rolled around and ran and jumped and squated and fell and tripped in this holster so far and the gun doesn't budge. Barely holds it but because of the way it's made unless you do a handstand naked... the gun ain't coming out of the holster unless you draw it. And I'm finding that with practice my draw isn't all that much slower than a belt holster that I have to lift a shirt or push a sport coat aside to get to. I feel after 6 weeks or so I'll be able to get this thing out just as fast as any other holster. And it's easier to get to when seated which is wonderful while your driving. SOB or hip carry can be a slow draw (At least for me) while in a vehicle. This little guy is right there in my lap.

If you been eyeballing one of these holsters for your Kahr... get one. They're nice.

Oh yeah... it also carrys a Glock 27 nicely in the same holster. It's just not as comfortable in tighter fitting work clothes and such. But in Gym clothes it's no issue what so ever. Maybe when I loose a little more weight and gain a little more room in my clothes I'll carry that 27 full time.

Ol'coot
09-14-2009, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the info, I have also been considering the smarycarry holster

dschubert
10-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I spend most of my waking hours dressed in pleat front dress pant, a tucked in dress shirt, and no jacket, and many of them sitting where an ankle rig would show. I am 6'-1" and 200lbs with a 34" waist, tuck-able holsters did not give me enough concealment to be comfortable at the office, I was always worried about the pistol "printing".

Smart carry has been the perfect solution. For the first two weeks after I got the Smartcarry my wife and I played a game of her trying to tell when I was carrying my PM9. She was wrong more than right, basically guessing unless she would pat me down, now she has given up trying. It doesn't matter if I am wearing jeans, dress pants, or gym shorts, the pistol disappears.

Draw speed is a bit of a concern, I can reliably get a well aimed shot off in under two seconds with a surprise start (buzzer or turning target). That is still a lot faster than having to go home to get my pistol because I was not carrying it!

Thanks to the compact size and weight of the PM9, and the Smartcarry holster, the only time I have to be without my pistol is in a no-carry zone. Two great products for "all day every day" carry.

bayoutrigger
10-11-2009, 04:38 PM
spend most of my waking hours dressed in pleat front dress pant, a tucked in dress shirt, and no jacket, Smart carry has been the perfect solution.

+1

500KV
10-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the info.
Just placed my order.
I ordered the standard model before reading the "small of the back" comment. I see the difference now, but wonder if this would work with the standard model as well?
Anyway, thanks for the heads-up and the review.

Small Update:
Got a call from Charlie, about 2 hours after placing my order, to confirm some details about waist size, type of gun to be carried, etc.
Seemed like a super nice guy who wanted everything to be right.
This sounds like an ideal carry solution, at least for me.
LOL at the pic's. of him standing there in his drawers.