PDA

View Full Version : America's Cup

xsailer
09-26-2013, 05:55 AM
Will be one of the greatest come from behind victories. America's Team won the cup again this year. This time with ONE American on board. Ya gotta wonder.....

bob

hardluk1
09-26-2013, 06:10 AM
And for a cost of a mere 100 million dollar just for the sailboat !! And we did it with a Australian captain. What a waist of money and time that only a few can take avanage of. Make this teams use a spec boat on the market and then its a race of skills, not dollars.

xsailer
09-26-2013, 06:33 AM
Yes I agree. It is a rich mans race the America's Cup. I'm not sure how much money trickles down to us worker bees but there is some. That boat and the technology has to be paid for. I've always questioned America's wins with foreign teams members. What does this mean?
All this being said the Cats are exciting when the wind blows. I personally liked the 12 meter racing (a long potentially boring race) albeit still a rich mans game done by the little people.
You're idea??????, although a good one, will never happen.

hardluk1
09-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Oh I know that. Just had to say it.

skiflydive
09-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Yes I agree. It is a rich mans race the America's Cup. I'm not sure how much money trickles down to us worker bees but there is some. That boat and the technology has to be paid for. I've always questioned America's wins with foreign teams members. What does this mean?
All this being said the Cats are exciting when the wind blows. I personally liked the 12 meter racing (a long potentially boring race) albeit still a rich mans game done by the little people.
You're idea??????, although a good one, will never happen.

All pro sports cost everyone money via sponsorships, endorsements, etc. How many people are lucky/skilled enough to participate in any pro sport. In NASCAR the Fords and Chevys are foreign. Only the Camry is built in the US. On the other hand...how much of that Fusion, impala, or Camry is from Fusions, Impalas, or Camrys? (hint...the answer is none.)

tv_racin_fan
09-27-2013, 08:31 AM
This event was spectacular.

Boats that ride on foils? UPWIND? Something that some would have said was impossible.

An 8 win in a row come from behind victory?

Races canceled or postponed due to heavy and/or light winds.

Personally I think the course was to short with only the one upwind leg.

I dunno if the Kiwis stood pat thinking their boat was good enough or if they just didn't improve it as much as the Americans did during the event.

The Kiwi boat handling was superior at the beginning of the event and by the end the "Americans" had matched or nearly matched them.

jocko
09-27-2013, 09:02 AM
i guess it is neverover until the fat lady sings. Hellof a win no matter how u gauge it..