PDA

View Full Version : What's faster?

garyb
10-14-2013, 07:23 AM
What can you do faster....tactical mag change and get back on target, or draw your BUG and have it on target? I know what I practice and is faster for me. Give it a try....time it and see for yourself.

muggsy
10-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Since most gun fights follow the rule of threes, three shots from three yards in three seconds, more often than not a bug or reload isn't necessary. It also depends on what gun you use for primary carry. Don't forget that you are going to lose your fine motor skills under stress. I'm going for my bug when the going gets tough.

bonjorno2
10-14-2013, 09:39 AM
New York reload for me

garyb
10-14-2013, 02:31 PM
What can you do faster? Do you know? Nothing about 3 sec rules nor any other scenario. Simple question.

berettabone
10-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Sometimes, running and weaving is faster.................................

jocko
10-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Sometimes, running and weaving is faster.................................

not if ur 70!!! Just sayin a ccw really comes into play whenu hit 70+, as that might be ur only out.

b4uqzme
10-14-2013, 04:36 PM
seeing as how the BUG is in the car and I do carry a spare mag in my pocket, I'll go with the reload :rolleyes:

Seriously, I see what you are after and it's a good point. I might have to try it.

AJBert
10-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Being as the only BUG I've ever carried was an M-9 while in Iraq with my primary being a Benelli 12ga I'd have to say bug.

However, I practiced many, many times with reloading a mag in a sidearm, though I did practice doing the "combat" reload more than a few times with the Benelli.

Still, multiple rounds into an M-9 took the same amount of time of one round into the shotgun.

Might be apples to pineapples here, though.

warbird1
10-14-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm faster at getting to my bug.

garyb
10-15-2013, 06:25 AM
OK...so you are standing in your home...Alone...performing a test to see which one you can do faster - tactical mag change and get back on target or draw your bug (from your normal carry) and get back on target. No scenarios...no golden rules. Simple question.
Which is faster for you to get back on target?

berettabone
10-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Bug............................................... .......

RRP
10-16-2013, 11:25 PM
What can you do faster....tactical mag change and get back on target, or draw your BUG and have it on target? I know what I practice and is faster for me. Give it a try....time it and see for yourself.

You've delivered some shots to stop a threat. For the moment, there is a pause in the fight. You don't know if the threat will re-emerge, or if there are additional threats nearby. To be ready, you take advantage of the momentary pause to swap-out the partial mag with a full magazine. This is done by reaching for a spare mag before dropping the partial mag. With the new mag in hand, you release the partial magazine and retain it, while slipping the new mag into the well. You do this with the weapon in your workspace, while continuing to observe the threat and ready to engage if necessary.

That is a tactical reload and not a situation where I would abandon my primary weapon and transition to my secondary.

ParabellumJ
10-17-2013, 06:31 AM
You've delivered some shots to stop a threat. For the moment, there is a pause in the fight. You don't know if the threat will re-emerge, or if there are additional threats nearby. To be ready, you take advantage of the momentary pause to swap-out the partial mag with a full magazine. This is done by reaching for a spare mag before dropping the partial mag. With the new mag in hand, you release the partial magazine and retain it, while slipping the new mag into the well. You do this with the weapon in your workspace, while continuing to observe the threat and ready to engage if necessary.

That is a tactical reload and not a situation where I would abandon my primary weapon and transition to my secondary.

+1.

berettabone
10-17-2013, 06:55 AM
OK...so you are standing in your home...Alone...performing a test to see which one you can do faster - tactical mag change and get back on target or draw your bug (from your normal carry) and get back on target. No scenarios...no golden rules. Simple question.
Which is faster for you to get back on target?
Seems like some took it way beyond this..................

Glock23
10-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Seems like some took it way beyond this..................
Reading is hard.

Reading comprehension is even harder.

downtownv
10-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Reload and return to target

ParabellumJ
10-17-2013, 04:52 PM
I guess it would depend on where that BUG was. If it's in an ankle holster I am going with a reload. If it's weak side hip then the bug is faster. I think the question leaves out the most important variable, where your BUG is at.

garyb
10-18-2013, 06:10 AM
To many variables. Everyone is different. Everyone carries different. Question leaves it up to the reader to test for him/herself based on how that person carries. There is no right or wrong here. Without testing it for yourself, you would you know what you can do faster....BUG or reload. The interest was to hear how others felt, based on how they carried. Some folks out there may have a pretty good system / plan worked out for their BUG. The BUG thing as always intrigued me, so I am asking to learn.

Because I am not a BUG carry guy, I'm trained to be a reload kind of guy. I can do it quicker because I practice it. I would currently be fumbling with a primary while digging for a secondary to shoot weak hand which is not my style. I would not feel as competent relying on my weak hand for my BUG, or dealing with my primary to make the BUG strong hand. I would only trust my life on my weak hand if my strong hand was incapacitated. That's where my competence is right now in my training, but I may progress to a new thought about this someday. Right now, I find it too uncomfortable and unnecessary to carry multiple firearms. The probability is that I will never need to pull my primary...God Willing. But at least it is there. Besides, I change my primary carry location based on clothing (temperature) and what/where I may be doing something outdoors (IWB, pocket, OWB). So I need to concentrate on that alone to trust my life on it. Call me a weak minded guy I guess. That's just me. It does not make others wrong, nor me right. Just hearing from the folks on the forum to see how they are training to do things and why.

yqtszhj
10-18-2013, 07:21 AM
not if ur 70!!! Just sayin a ccw really comes into play whenu hit 70+, as that might be ur only out.

True story.

The dad of a guy who works for me was a retired state trooper. He was probably about 90 at the time and was going to his favorite local coffee shop.

He was going into the door and some young teenage punk with sagging pants said "get out of the way you useless old man" and pushed him out of the way. As soon as he got passed him the 90 year old put a karate chop right on the back of the guy's neck and knocked him to the ground.

The punk was dazed and when he realized what happened he got up and ran from the place like a kicked dog.

His son asked him later what he would have done if the guy got up and tried to do something? His dad replied "I would have had time to get to my pistol by then and taken care of it."

The man passed away earlier this year but that story really sticks with me. Don't mess with old people, they didn't get old by being taken advantage of at every turn.

:amflag:

OldLincoln
10-18-2013, 11:22 AM
For me the fastest is a larger mag. The issue is the number of rounds you have, period. I carry 11 in .45 and if I need more who's to say I wouldn't use those and still need more.

Bawanna
10-18-2013, 11:32 AM
For my input on this I consider the primary (in my case the Cbob) on my belt as the get r dun tool. I will reload and use it until it fails and/ or all reloads are consumed.
Then and only then does the PM45 on the ankle come into play.
I would not ever have both guns in hand, the Cbob would not be reholstered as it would be out of the game, empty or broken. It would be dropped (probably gently, I love that gun) and forgotten.
The bug would be in the same strong hand unless of course the strong hand is out of commission too.

In my life style I seriously doubt I'll ever need either at all, if I do I won't need a lot of rounds. If the bug comes into play it will be due to a malfunction more than likely.

garyb
10-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Makes good sense Bawanna. Good input. Tx.

Bawanna
10-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Garyb, I think that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. With tears in my eyes I thank you.

garyb
10-19-2013, 01:00 PM
I'd love to hear more from other bug folks out there, so I can understand how the bug gets used faster and what happens to your primary. Thanks.

berettabone
10-19-2013, 06:24 PM
My MK9 is my primary...............if whatever needs to be done, can't be done with that and another mag...............your over powered and in a firefight, and best to get the h311 out of there, if possible. If your in a position to have to keep reloading, or abandoning your primary, and using your secondary(bug), you're in the wrong place, and have the worst luck on the planet.

garyb
10-21-2013, 07:27 AM
That's for sure.