PDA

View Full Version : Slide drop

mikemc53
10-15-2013, 05:18 AM
Got a question or three for you folks.

A while back I noticed that when I dry fired (w/out snap caps) my CM9 I could see the front sight dipping down on every shot. Naturally I assumed I was doing something, trigger-wise, to cause that. Shooting at the range I have never noticed anything and my accuracy is not bad so I didn't pay much mind to it. Last night I'm sitting around and getting some things ready for a range trip, today. I decided to do a few more dry fires and noticed, again, the front sight dipping slightly so I took a closer look. I could tell that I was not milking or jerking the trigger but there was always a little drop of the sight so I watched the gun, from the side, as I pulled the trigger. The slide drops, ever so slightly (straight down basically), with each pull of the trigger. What I see is the gap between the slide and the frame narrowing, just a little, with each trigger pull. Now this was without snap caps and I didn't think to try them (until just now) so I don't know if that has anything to do with it but...

Anyone know of this? Have experience with this? Is it normal?

Thanks gang.

muggsy
10-15-2013, 05:49 AM
This is what comes of noticing things. Shoot the fokker like you stole it. When you start to question hitting the bulls eye every time it's time to see a shrink. :)

kerby9mm
10-15-2013, 07:50 AM
Its normal. While dry firing you can put your index & thumb on each side of the slide outside bottom rails & feel the front of the slide dip down as you pull the trigger. The striker block goes up to depress the block as the cam pulls back the striker. Just the way these guns are.

garyb
10-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Yep. This has come up before in another thread. It is perfectly normal. My PM does this without snap caps. Kerby9mm is correct.

mikemc53
10-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys...muggsy is right...sometimes I overthing things.:o

Went to the range at lunch and, again, the gun was flawless and the shooter didn't do too bad, either.

This gun shoots like a dream.

Later gang.

jocko
10-15-2013, 10:51 AM
so thats why I shoot like sh!t all these years, the fokking slide dropping. Well that certainly clears up alot of things for me. Here I thought all along it was ol jocko piss poor shooting. I guess it works that way for a wheel gun to,-= huh? asI shoot it the same to.

thanks guys ur a lifesaver..

muggsy
10-15-2013, 01:09 PM
so thats why I shoot like sh!t all these years, the fokking slide dropping. Well that certainly clears up alot of things for me. Here I thought all along it was ol jocko piss poor shooting. I guess it works that way for a wheel gun to,-= huh? asI shoot it the same to.

thanks guys ur a lifesaver..

It might help if you crossed your fingers, Jocko and uncrossed yer eyes. Just sayin.