PDA

View Full Version : Almost got scammed.

Bawanna
10-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Thought I'd start something as a reminder for us all to remain ever vigilant in our dealings especially internet dealing.

Without a lot of details I just about got ripped for a grand.

Found a beautiful M1A with a scope, bipod, cheek rest, supposedly only shot a few times, very nice. 950 bucks. For those who don't know they go for double that easily with just a bare rifle and none of the goodies. It was on a forum that pretty much caters to face to face deals, they recommend that in fact.

I contacted seller straight away thinking maybe I'll get lucky and the guy just needs cash fast or don't know what he got. The ole too good to be true was screaming in the back of my head the whole time.

Got a response that was kind of lame, didn't really answer my questions and specifically said nothing about my concern that it was too cheap. On the other side of the state, he offered to ship it. Wanted a postal money order, express mail certified and he would ship. More alarm bells went off.

Had a lousy afternoon and night thinking about it, wondering where I was gonna get the loot, doggie in the doggie hospital, wife out of town with a phone that won't receive my text (still haven't figured that out).

So more and more I'm thinking too good to be true. So I share the info with a detective here and another member here who has saved me countless times, not so much from scams but from being myself, you might say he keeps me grounded. Actually the detective does pretty much the same too.

Well my ace member buddy here discovers the same identical pictures of my target purchase on another forum with nearly identical words and it's 1800 bucks, like it should be. Sellers two other items were the same, posted elsewhere.
Detective confirms the guys name and address so he does in fact exist and there is a viable address but other than that a dead end.

So long story short I sent seller an email this morning and told him to place the rifle in a corner muzzle down on a 8 x 10 piece of paper so I could see the buttstock and take a picture. I also told him I smelled fish and that I was backing out as it was indeed too good to be true.

Funny thing no response since. Imagine that.

Heads up boys and girls there are crooks out there, watch for them and stamp them out like cockroaches.

kahrseye
10-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Good advice Bawanna. Unfortunately for the rest of us we don't have a LEO we can get some investigative help from. But I know there are always red flags that pop up. I have been lucky. I've purchased numerous weapons from gun broker and have never had a problem. Thanks for the tip.

Bawanna
10-24-2013, 04:35 PM
This is the first time I've ever had an issue. Never even close.

Also no LE tools were used at all. Not one. All by google, everything we found out about the guy was from sources anyone has access too. He didn things I didn't know could be done and some I don't want to know about. Like everything else LE can get in big trouble for using LE data bases and sources for any purpose that isn't official. I hate rules sometimes.
We had one officer fired for using sources to check out ex wifes new boyfriend.

As an example we have a Pawn Program that tells us when people pawn stuff in other towns as well as our own. If a person is convicted of theft or possession of stolen property they can be added to a list that makes it so they can't pawn stuff anywhere. Great tool, hopefully they won't steal if they can't pawn.
We had a state audit Tuesday and they told us we couldn't use their data base to see if a person has been convicted for that purpose. I asked how we were suppose to find out if they have a conviction, they didn't have an answer.

RevRay
10-24-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm glad for you that you "just about" got scammed and you didn't actually get scammed. My three guns have all been bought online with the money needing to be given up front with no problems so far.

Bawanna
10-24-2013, 05:17 PM
I just received an email from the auction site thanking me for the heads up. Based on my member buddy here's pictures they blocked him so he can't post there anymore.

I don't know what would have happened had I followed through, I would have if he'd provided any viable answers, wife's sick, car repair, anything at all and I'd probably have fallen for it, surely he can't think that I wouldn't drive to the SE corner of the state and get to the bottom of things one way or another. Most likely I'd enjoy it too.

Hard sometimes to imagine what people think.

Alfonse
10-24-2013, 05:59 PM
I had just reduced the price because it was you. ;)

ltxi
10-24-2013, 06:23 PM
I just received an email from the auction site thanking me for the heads up. Based on my member buddy here's pictures they blocked him so he can't post there anymore.

I don't know what would have happened had I followed through, I would have if he'd provided any viable answers, wife's sick, car repair, anything at all and I'd probably have fallen for it, surely he can't think that I wouldn't drive to the SE corner of the state and get to the bottom of things one way or another. Most likely I'd enjoy it too.

Hard sometimes to imagine what people think.

Quite likely you never would have heard back from him again after a "hard" funds transfer.

If it's too good to be true, I probably am.

pappy42
10-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Glad U didn't get forked B-Man

b4uqzme
10-24-2013, 07:37 PM
dodged a bullet there...I'm still fearful of buying anything significantly expensive on brokered websites. I probably could have saved some money but...I feel safe. I did one FTF deal and I was nervous as a cat.

call me wimpy.

Alfonse
10-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Glad you dodged that too. Everybody its so serious tonight.

Bawanna
10-24-2013, 10:28 PM
I had just reduced the price because it was you. ;)

Thought I recognized your typing.

ripley16
10-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Since you now have a wad of cash burning a hole in that pocket, perhaps you'd be interested in a genuine faux Dinosaur fossil turd. I found six of them in my backyard and, amazing as it sounds, I'm selling them, today only, for $900. A steal. I'll even throw in a Sham Wow towel. I'll send a PM with mailing instructions.

Yes sir... your lucky day!!

Bawanna
10-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Since you now have a wad of cash burning a hole in that pocket, perhaps you'd be interested in a genuine faux Dinosaur fossil turd. I found six of them in my backyard and, amazing as it sounds, I'm selling them, today only, for $900. A steal. I'll even throw in a Sham Wow towel. I'll send a PM with mailing instructions.

Yes sir... your lucky day!!

Large enough to whittle some grips out of? Never worked faux dinosaur turd before. This is indeed my lucky day.

xsailer
10-25-2013, 08:14 AM
For what it's worth. I bought online from this forum not having ever met the seller or recognizing the name. I really based my answer to his selling posts on him being mutual friends with Bawanna. I've been following the forum for several months and for rightly or wrongly developed a trust in a several members comments. Bawanna was one and it turned out a good experience for both seller and buyer. BUuuuuuT a guy never knows and what can you do if you get bit. but it would sure cure you from taking another chance.

Bawanna
10-25-2013, 10:50 AM
I have now worries at all about anyone on this forum at all. I'd watch a brand new guy with no post just to make sure but most are genuine and come here to sell a kahr which rightfully is probably the best place to do so.

I'd vouch for near everyone here without reservation. I wish I had the loot to buy Wyn's Champion and his Charles Daly shotgun, love to have them both but not in the cards right now.

I've bought lots of guns on line, no worries. I always ask a few questions, and see what or if I get a response before I even bid to see what I'm dealing with.
This particular auction isn't a bid deal, more like on line classifieds and it's aimed at mostly face to face local transactions. It's a good one for that.

This guy just didn't have good answers.