PDA

View Full Version : Fnx 45 acp 15+1

yqtszhj
10-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Here’s the latest acquisition. Sorry for the crappy pictures but it was the best I could do with an i-sumpin at the moment. I had been looking for a high cap .45 to fill the place of the XDs I was selling (the CW45 can’t be beat so the XDs is history.)

The FNX comes with three 15 round mags. The first 14 rounds are pretty easy to load but number 15 takes a little effort. Fill all the mags and one in the chamber and there’s only 4 rounds left in a box of 50.

Had to shoot at a new indoor range today and didn’t care for it much. Some genius decided to close my outdoor range while they put up a CELL TOWER!!! That was the one place I could go and not get a signal and have a break but now that’s messed up. Oh well… back to the new gun.

DA/SA trigger. The DA is a bit heavy but smooth. The SA trigger is LIGHT!
Has a combination safety/decocker. Up is safety for those that like the 1911 cocked and locked method and down is a de-c0cker to carry one in the chamber and DA first pull. I like those features.

Sights are right on target. Cant complain at all there. It took a couple of magazines to get used to it but then at 10 yards the 9 and 10 ring of the required $1 paper target were history and at 25 yards 8 out of 10 rounds hit the head area on the paper. I still need to shoot it a bit more to get used to it.

Only had one problem out of about 180 rounds, a stove pipe with some UMC ammo. The next round chambered but the casing didn’t make it out in time. The CW45 had problems with the same ammo (nose dive, fail to feed, fail to return to battery, premature slide lock back.) Could have been me having to shoot indoors in that cramped booth with hot brass bouncing all over the place. The FNX did handle the UMC better than the CW45.

It does have some weight when you load it up with a full mag. 2 lbs 1 oz empty, about 2 pounds 12 oz loaded w/ 15 rounds based on my cheapo scale.

Anyway, pretty satisfied so far. Recoil is not bad. About ½ of the CW45 recoil. Needs more breakin but this will probably be the house gun or out in the woods gun.

CJB
10-30-2013, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the FNX-45 club! I'm glad I waited and didn't get the FNP-45, as they modded the ramp and magazines to accept more non-FMJ ammo than the FNP. The FNP-45 is otherwise the same pistol. Only a few parts changed, mostly due to the barrel ramp reconfig (ie, the locking block was also changed, and I think thats it).

Like Kahr - the recoil spring on the FNX's is tight. It takes full house ammo, and a good grip to make it function when new... after a few hundred rounds, you ought get perfect performance.

Magazines are finally becoming available too. FYI, the FNP magazines will work... but they fit loose. Maybe ok for range use, but not carry or duty use. Since the FNX mags are new trickling out... that should be a non issue as the mags are priced the same.

Dry fire the snot out of it, the DA will loosen. On a road trip to Sanford during the trial of Zimmerman, I dry fired my FNX-45 several thousand times - counted - in lots of 100 counted pulls. Got a lot better in DA mode. They're tight mothers when new.

Do a search on SOCOM pistol case, and you can snag the clone of the first model FNP tactical case. FNP and FNX being the same size... its all good, and works great.

Also got a CT laser on it... and its good to go.

Enjoy!

yqtszhj
10-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks. Yeah I read about the improvements on the FNX45 over the FNP 45 before I got it. When I went into my LGS they had a used FNP that I looked at but for only $100 more I got the FNX new in all black. The FNP only had 14 round mags too and decocker only, no safety.

It ate the box of Hornady critical defense that my CW45 wouldn't handle just fine.

I'm real happy with it so far and I may get the CT railmaster. I've been looking at them already and it looks like it will be a nice accessoy.

Thanks for the input on the dry firing too. It sounds like my 92FS DA that has eventually smoothed out real nice since I bought it.

BEARDOG
10-31-2013, 06:45 AM
Congrats on the new hand cannon!

High cap. .45's they are heavy, but very comforting. I have a Para P12-45 and with 13 rds of 230gr .45 in it you don't forget you are carrying it LoL.

Try putting a D spring in your 92FS, for big improvement in DA pull, and with no down side, as its the same spring that Beretta uses in the 92D.

yqtszhj
10-31-2013, 07:29 AM
I have a Para P12-45 and with 13 rds of 230gr .45 in it you don't forget you are carrying it LoL.

I was actually looking at the P12-45, along with the XD service model, Sig 227 and P250, Beretta PX4, Glock 21 (don't really like Glocks though), even looked at the Taurus PT845.

But in the end when I wrapped my hands around the FNX and saw it came w/ three 15 round mags I knew that had to be the one. Just had to find the best price after that.

knkali
10-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Here’s the latest acquisition. Sorry for the crappy pictures but it was the best I could do with an i-sumpin at the moment. I had been looking for a high cap .45 to fill the place of the XDs I was selling (the CW45 can’t be beat so the XDs is history.)

The FNX comes with three 15 round mags. The first 14 rounds are pretty easy to load but number 15 takes a little effort. Fill all the mags and one in the chamber and there’s only 4 rounds left in a box of 50.

Had to shoot at a new indoor range today and didn’t care for it much. Some genius decided to close my outdoor range while they put up a CELL TOWER!!! That was the one place I could go and not get a signal and have a break but now that’s messed up. Oh well… back to the new gun.

DA/SA trigger. The DA is a bit heavy but smooth. The SA trigger is LIGHT!
Has a combination safety/decocker. Up is safety for those that like the 1911 cocked and locked method and down is a de-c0cker to carry one in the chamber and DA first pull. I like those features.

Sights are right on target. Cant complain at all there. It took a couple of magazines to get used to it but then at 10 yards the 9 and 10 ring of the required $1 paper target were history and at 25 yards 8 out of 10 rounds hit the head area on the paper. I still need to shoot it a bit more to get used to it.

Only had one problem out of about 180 rounds, a stove pipe with some UMC ammo. The next round chambered but the casing didn’t make it out in time. The CW45 had problems with the same ammo (nose dive, fail to feed, fail to return to battery, premature slide lock back.) Could have been me having to shoot indoors in that cramped booth with hot brass bouncing all over the place. The FNX did handle the UMC better than the CW45.

It does have some weight when you load it up with a full mag. 2 lbs 1 oz empty, about 2 pounds 12 oz loaded w/ 15 rounds based on my cheapo scale.

Anyway, pretty satisfied so far. Recoil is not bad. About ½ of the CW45 recoil. Needs more breakin but this will probably be the house gun or out in the woods gun.

Enjoy that new addition. I love that gun and have wanted one but I live in Calif and it aint on the approved list. So, please enjoy it and shoot the snot out of it for me.

yqtszhj
10-31-2013, 01:58 PM
Enjoy that new addition. I love that gun and have wanted one but I live in Calif and it aint on the approved list. So, please enjoy it and shoot the snot out of it for me.

Thanks and will do. They do have the "10 round" version I believe. It still may not be approved though in California.

O'Dell
10-31-2013, 04:57 PM
Just a bit curious, but why do you need 16 rounds of 45 no less. Starting out with a fairly heavy pistol and adding 16 rounds of 45 ACP would have my pants down around my ankles or I would walk with a right list. Most of my guns are 6 or 7 with one at 8 and my HDW at 14 rounds of 40 cal.

Bawanna
10-31-2013, 04:58 PM
Were I you I'd stay out of Indiana! Just sayin.

jocko
10-31-2013, 05:16 PM
I hear they are making a triplestack in the 45 glock, as 30 rounds of 45 just isn't enough. Irealy want one of them to---like a fokking hemroid.

45's are not allowed in Indiana unless they have a red tip on the end of them, It is considered a toy in this state. Just sayin

jocko
10-31-2013, 05:18 PM
Just a bit curious, but why do you need 16 rounds of 45 no less. Starting out with a fairly heavy pistol and adding 16 rounds of 45 ACP would have my pants down around my ankles or I would walk with a right list. Most of my guns are 6 or 7 with one at 8 and my HDW at 14 rounds of 40 cal.

wrongin carrying an 18# gun in ur pocket or on your side. I can usually tell a fella who carrys a 45, aslike you stated, HE IS LIMPING.:Amflag2::banplease:

O'Dell
10-31-2013, 07:09 PM
wrongin carrying an 18# gun in ur pocket or on your side. I can usually tell a fella who carrys a 45, aslike you stated, HE IS LIMPING.:Amflag2::banplease:

I have ten 45 Pistols and only one weighs more than 30 ozs and it's at 32. My most carried CW45 only weighs 19ozs empty, per Kahr, which is lighter than most 9mm's.

yqtszhj
10-31-2013, 08:14 PM

Actually because I couldn't find one that held 20. ;)

No really, It's not that much more than my full size 1911. Don't really want to go a .40 route because that would be one more caliber that I have to buy ammo for since I already have .22, .380, .9mm, and .45.

It will be my house, vehicle, range, and out in the woods gun, although It's not really bigger in size than a Glock and I can appendix carry it OK if need be. I'm 6'2'' and paws like a gorilla so it's not too bad on grip and shooting. I could never get the Glock 21 because the darn finger grooves are way too close together.

I can never carry it to Indiana though because like Jocko said they only let them have toy .45's because they can't handle a real caliber. :D

TheTman
11-01-2013, 06:23 AM
I'd want a shoulder rig for something like that if I were going to pack it.
I use a shoulder rig my 6" barrel revolvers. Takes the weight off your waist, and distributes it on your shoulders, and keeps the revolver grip where it's easy to grab.
That would be a great nightstand or vehicle gun.

Barth
11-01-2013, 11:06 AM
My HK USP Tactical 45 (12+1) is listed at 30.4 oz empty.
I haven't weighed it loaded.
But it's surprisingly light for a full size high cap 45.
And is effortless for me to carry all day long
in a quality holster on a good gun belt.
I'm sure the FNX is much the same.

The problem for me was concealment and comfort.
Particularly with it's extended threaded 5" barrel.
And two long thick 12+1 re-loads.

But carrying the gun cross draw, and the mags horizontal, resolves all these issues.
I use a Crossfire Elite pancake holster,
and a Bianchi Accumold double mag pouch,
on a Galco SB5 Sport Belt (1.75").

If you're creative and motivated it's no problemo.

jocko
11-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Actually because I couldn't find one that held 20. ;)

No really, It's not that much more than my full size 1911. Don't really want to go a .40 route because that would be one more caliber that I have to buy ammo for since I already have .22, .380, .9mm, and .45.

It will be my house, vehicle, range, and out in the woods gun, although It's not really bigger in size than a Glock and I can appendix carry it OK if need be. I'm 6'2'' and paws like a gorilla so it's not too bad on grip and shooting. I could never get the Glock 21 because the darn finger grooves are way too close together.

I can never carry it to Indiana though because like Jocko said they only let them have toy .45's because they can't handle a real caliber. :D

thats a good one , I am sure Bawanna will move u to the head of his 45 class after reading that. Do Remember though to paint the tip of ur 45 RED..:Amflag2:

yqtszhj
11-01-2013, 05:10 PM
thats a good one , I am sure Bawanna will move u to the head of his 45 class after reading that. Do Remember though to paint the tip of ur 45 RED..:Amflag2:

Got my red finger nail polish ready as we speak, make that my wife's finger nail polish. I don't want anyone to think I'd be coming to Indiana in drag. :rolleyes:

CJB
11-01-2013, 08:46 PM
I have ten 45 Pistols and only one weighs more than 30 ozs and it's at 32. My most carried CW45 only weighs 19ozs empty, per Kahr, which is lighter than most 9mm's.

Trying to think here..... nine .45's for me, no wait ten as well...counting the FN.

Gotta say, the FNX is everything the Kahr isn't. Its F'N huge. Its F'N heavy. Its F'N awesome!!!

Seriously, its a well built pistol. The magazines are very nicely made. The barrel is nicely made, and even the engraving is..."engraved", not stamped or etched. Seriously... a tiny cutter makes the slide markings and you can see tool marks in the channels of the lettering. Very nice touch. The metal work is just perfect, except for the few sharp 90 degree corners that I like to round out a little. Even the sights are nice.

I really like the soft tactical case (accessory) too. The hard case is ok, but the soft case holds more, is smaller. Love it.

O'Dell
11-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Trying to think here..... nine .45's for me, no wait ten as well...counting the FN.

Gotta say, the FNX is everything the Kahr isn't. Its F'N huge. Its F'N heavy. Its F'N awesome!!!

Seriously, its a well built pistol. The magazines are very nicely made. The barrel is nicely made, and even the engraving is..."engraved", not stamped or etched. Seriously... a tiny cutter makes the slide markings and you can see tool marks in the channels of the lettering. Very nice touch. The metal work is just perfect, except for the few sharp 90 degree corners that I like to round out a little. Even the sights are nice.

I really like the soft tactical case (accessory) too. The hard case is ok, but the soft case holds more, is smaller. Love it.

My only experience with FN is the Browning HP I bought in1966 to carry in the Navy and another HP I bought in the eighties, which I later gave to my son. The first one is still packed away in the attic somewhere. They were rather large and heavy for 9mm's, but then again, the design is almost ninety years old.

CJB
11-02-2013, 05:28 AM
O'Dell, as things go in the current state of pistoldom, the FN GP35, aka the HiPower (in the USA), is more of an E series Jaguar from the 1960s. Just classic.

HiPowers carry smaller and lighter than they are for some reason. Compare a HiPower to a Smith 59 series, or Beretta 92 series, or the CZ75 series. HiPower's are my #2 favorite