PDA

View Full Version : What's Happening reloaders?

garyb
10-31-2013, 05:56 AM
Come on reloaders...what is happening in your reloading world? Very quiet out there. Make some noise. We've got all the ammo we need put together at our house, as competition season is replaced by bow season here in the north country. Must be some kind of reloading activity going on with someone. Any new equipment? How's the component supply in your parts?

muggsy
10-31-2013, 06:17 AM
Component supplies are mighty thin in these parts though prices are reasonable when you can find what you're looking for. Rationing still exists. I scored enough primers and powder to get through the winter, but projectiles are hard to find locally.

garyb
10-31-2013, 10:32 AM
I hear ya on the components being scarce these days. What bullets are you looking for Muggsy? I just picked up 500 Berry's plated for my wife's 380. Good product and very consistent. I'd recommend them for shoot em up range stuff. I also ordered in 500 once shot 380 brass. On top of what she already has to shoot in our inventory, that should keep her shooting for awhile. I believe Delta Precision is still WAY behind on deliveries of their bullets...good products too. I always order my bullets by mail. Almost impossible to find anything locally in my parts.

AIRret
10-31-2013, 04:16 PM
We have used Berry's, Montana gold (great but a little more $$) and Delta and they have all been fine.

mr surveyor
10-31-2013, 08:17 PM
I've been missing the reload chatter, not only here, but on other forums lately. I've been dealing with an ailing parent for the last three months, trying to juggle my time with a very nice workload ... now jobs that were supposed to have all been completed by Oct 1, and other unscheduled events along the way. Before all that, I was working on tweaking my .30-30 load project that started in January. In December/January I was looking for Rem Core-Lokt 150 gr bullets and H(or IMR) 4895 .... might as well asked for purple unicorns and green cheese from the moon. I was lucky to find a couple hundred Sierra 170 gr bullets and a can of IMR 4320 to start my .30-30 endeavor. By September, I had only had a chance to work through 5 different small step-up loads with that combination when a buddy admitted he had 500 of the Rem C-L 150 gr bullets and he sold me 100 to work with. Then my gunshop buddy pulled out a can of LeveRevolution powder he had hidden back. On paper, I had surprised myself with 2 moa from the IMR 4320 and 170 gr Sierra's, and the groups were even steadily tightening up to 1.5 moa. My old 336 never shot any factory 170's much better than 2 moa, so I had already exceeded my earlier expectations. By the time I was able to slip in a reloading session with the C-L 150's and LVR powder, I already had my next two planned "step-up" loads with the 170's and 4320 waiting to shoot, so I added two start load batches of the 150/LVR loads to the mix. Having a chrony available on day during a short time I was somewhat "free", I devoted all four of the 5 round batches to the chrony. My original plan on this particular load work up was to work up/down to find the most accurate load for the bullet and powder combination, then do the chrony test, but sometimes you just have to take advantage of opportunities whether they fit the schedule or not. The chrony didn't let me down. The 170 Sierra with 32.0 gr of IMR 4320 (actually shoots 1.5 moa in my gun) averaged 1997 fps, which ain't too shabby for that bullet from a .30-30. The C-L 150 with 36.5 gr of LeveRevolution (which I have NOT put on paper) topped out at an average of 2323 fps.... and I still have a couple more "step-ups" I'll be trying that are within my self induced (conservative) maximum load range. I can't wait to get the time to load up another batch of these 36.5 gr rounds, as well as the next two steps up, and bench them on paper.

Oh, and thanks to a new found buddy in Montana, through the Marlin forum, I now have a long sought after Lee Factory Crimp Die to round out my .30-30 load needs.

I'm trying to be patient (dang .... been back and forth to the hospital so much lately, I'm not sure if that was the correct word) with my project, but it is nice to read about others reloading events in the mean time.

JD

pay-shunt .... pey-shent .... pashint .... oh, heck, you know what I meant

edit to add: I didn't mention that my old Marlin 336 always shot sub moa with factory 150 grain Remington Core-lokt rounds (and shot those better than any other 150's - including the gummy tips, etc), although it always opened up to 2+/- moa with the 170's. I'm really believing in besting both the factory 150's and 170's eventually.

garyb
11-01-2013, 06:53 AM
Mr Surveyor, Sorry that your parents and your family is going through a difficult time. I will be sure to pray for them. That is the nice thing about reloading. It is a peaceful hobby that does take your mind off other things, even for the short while you are working on your bench. It is a nice hobby to have, especially when you need some quiet time to clear your mind and focus on something else. We sincerely hope things will get better for your parents and our prayers go out to them and you.
God Bless.

mr surveyor
11-01-2013, 08:23 AM
garyb .... thank you for the good thoughts. At 85, my Mom is the last of the elders between my wife and me. She's been giving us short spells of excitement for the last 10 years since my Dad died, so we are accustomed to the routine..... which has consisted of minor back surgery, quad by-pass, colon resection, two small strokes, lung issues, recently a broken hip, and a few other things .... and the fact she never let my Dad go. I haven't been comfortable in even starting a project that requires my full attention for more than an hour at a time for the last couple of months.

Back on your original topic .... a couple of days ago my Son and I slipped out to the gun shop for a quick visit to pick up a couple of small items, and in the reloading cabinet was a brand new Lee 3 die set for .223/5.56. Neither my son nor I currently own any .223/5.56 firearms but he is toying with a new purchase. I convinced him to jump on that die set since they are almost impossible to find. The dies came home whether we need them or not :D

Harrylee
11-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Mr Surveyor sorry to hear about your mom it tough when this stuff happens. I lost my mom some time ago she would have been 96 now. So hang in there that’s all we can do

AIRret
11-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Mr. Surveryor our prayer are with you and your family. The stress can be difficult when caring for and elderly parent.
God Bless and take care

Harrylee
11-01-2013, 10:43 AM
So on the up beat side of reloading I have had a chance to try out my Frankenstein case feeder. What a pleasure not to reach in the bucket and line my cases up, as I said I have a Dillon square deal b which does accept a case feeder this was the next best thing. I throw 4 hand fulls of cases in it and off it went, now my cases are in the same spot every time and increased my loading time, still got to do bullet staging and load primers but a lot nicer. Before it took me 45 minutes to do 250 rounds with this I did 100 rounds in 9 minutes so I figure for 250 should take about 30 minutes, that knocks off 15 minutes. Now I’m thinking of making another machine to sort and feed the bullets the same way. When I do it I will post it and it’s name will be Young Frankenstein. And yes all the components are still on the low side around here also :)

downtownv
11-02-2013, 12:49 AM
I ordered an 8 pounder of CFE-223 powder months ago..... All of a sudden knock knock!
My buddy and I will be loading 1000- .223 rounds. as I have the brass, the bullets and the primers. I've never done it, before. he has a Dillon 550B press
He has and states that the brass prepping is the worst part on .223's
I have about 500 9mm to run on my Dillon SDB. It's been very mild on the east coast, but winter will be here soon enough and that will leave quality time for reloading.....

muggsy
11-02-2013, 07:18 AM
I hear ya on the components being scarce these days. What bullets are you looking for Muggsy? I just picked up 500 Berry's plated for my wife's 380. Good product and very consistent. I'd recommend them for shoot em up range stuff. I also ordered in 500 once shot 380 brass. On top of what she already has to shoot in our inventory, that should keep her shooting for awhile. I believe Delta Precision is still WAY behind on deliveries of their bullets...good products too. I always order my bullets by mail. Almost impossible to find anything locally in my parts.

I usually use Berry's plated, but when I go to the site it seems like they're out of everything. I've been using cast lead bullets obtained locally, but even those are in short supply.

garyb
11-02-2013, 02:11 PM
I ordered my 380s from cabellas...probably paid more, but they had them so I got em.

muggsy
11-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the tip, Garyb, I'll give them a try.

peashooter
11-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Since this insanity started after Sandy Hook, my stock of ammo and reloading supplies got alarmingly low, and I haven't been able to find any more at reasonable prices until recently. I didn't feel comfortable using up what I had on hand, so I haven't done much shooting/reloading in a while. I have only recently been able to restock my primers/powder/ammo to a comfortable level again. And, like everyone else, I've decided that a "comfortable level" is considerably more than what it used to be. I expect to be shooting and loading more now.

garyb
11-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Since this insanity started after Sandy Hook, my stock of ammo and reloading supplies got alarmingly low, and I haven't been able to find any more at reasonable prices until recently. I didn't feel comfortable using up what I had on hand, so I haven't done much shooting/reloading in a while. I have only recently been able to restock my primers/powder/ammo to a comfortable level again. And, like everyone else, I've decided that a "comfortable level" is considerably more than what it used to be. I expect to be shooting and loading more now.

I hear ya on that. We are all in that same boat. I hate to see my component supply get down at all. There are times I am actively shopping for stuff and other times I feel OK for now. But supply are always in the back of our minds... WE all seem to be worried about...what's next and where is it all going next? A couple of years ago, we never seemed to have those worries to the extent we have them these days. I am most worried for my grandchildren and their children. They may never get to know the freedom they lost...it will simply be gone. But I pray that does not happen.

MW surveyor
11-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Ever since my fun and games on the 1st of June (triple bypass) have only been shooting three times (1st with the 22 lr pistols, 2nd with the 45 and last with the 38/357) and have not reloaded anything. Still have a good stock of bullets, primers and powder.

Here in Houston, my reloading supply house is exactly 1.2 miles from my house. They have a decent stock of primers, powder (at times) and bullets. At first they were rationing the primers but you can now buy up to 1K at a time. I've got 10k right now so don't really need any.

Will try to do some reloading this weekend if the constant pulling doesn't aggravate the chest. Even with doing exercises, still have kind of weak upper body. Now with all the walking, bike riding and elliptical training I've been doing, if I could use the legs to pull the handle, I'd be in good shape.

garyb
11-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Ever since my fun and games on the 1st of June (triple bypass) have only been shooting three times (1st with the 22 lr pistols, 2nd with the 45 and last with the 38/357) and have not reloaded anything. Still have a good stock of bullets, primers and powder.

Here in Houston, my reloading supply house is exactly 1.2 miles from my house. They have a decent stock of primers, powder (at times) and bullets. At first they were rationing the primers but you can now buy up to 1K at a time. I've got 10k right now so don't really need any.

Will try to do some reloading this weekend if the constant pulling doesn't aggravate the chest. Even with doing exercises, still have kind of weak upper body. Now with all the walking, bike riding and elliptical training I've been doing, if I could use the legs to pull the handle, I'd be in good shape.

Hey, Sorry to hear about your medical condition, but it is a good thing the problem was discovered and corrected before it was too late. Working the handle on the reloader may put a little strain on the chest until you get stronger. Take it slow and steady and watch the diet. Best of health to you.

oppi27
11-15-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm a newb on his site but I reload alot. Primers have come back around to where you can even pick them up at Walmart right now. As far as bullets go, I order most of them from rmrbullets. They have piles of bullets in stock and he usually puts on his Facebook page when he gets new shipments in. I just bought another 3000 yesterday.

It was pretty bad finding stuff for awhile but its all cone back around.

downtownv
11-15-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm a newb on his site but I reload alot. Primers have come back around to where you can even pick them up at Walmart right now. As far as bullets go, I order most of them from rmrbullets. They have piles of bullets in stock and he usually puts on his Facebook page when he gets new shipments in. I just bought another 3000 yesterday.

It was pretty bad finding stuff for awhile but its all cone back around.

Welcome from the Jersey Shore.
I have a private distributor in DE, he works out of his house so I never had any issues, except for CRE-223 powder.
The prices went up a bit but nothing crazy.
I figure in January I'll run off another 1000 9mm rounds

DKD
11-25-2013, 02:24 PM
TO Garyb's comment about lost freedoms.
Brought to mind a little snipit sent to me from a friend showing one of our recon units going out on a mission in their tactical amphibious boats & it went something like this:

Row Row Row your boat stealthy up the stream......
Lock and Load in Tactical Mode... United States Marines.....

Civil disobedience to a unlawful law or order is our civil duty and responsibility! AURAH
Keep your powder dry

AJBert
11-25-2013, 07:02 PM
I was just about to get into reloading about a year ago.

Turned out to be the worst timing in the world. Figured I'd give it some time and do a bit more research as to what I really wanted/needed and for what reasons. Maybe this whole mess has been a blessing in disguise. I've learned much more over the past year than I had learned before from reading forums, talking to a few experienced reloaders and just keeping my eyes open.

I'll be purchasing a Hornady Classic Lock-n-Load Kit next month. Single stage and comes with "most" of what a beginner needs. I know I'll need to get a few other items/tools before I start. I won't start reloading anything until we move sometime next year where I can set things up properly. In that time I'll start gathering the dies, bullets and casings, along with the other tools I'll need.

What really pushed me finally over the edge was the price of .41 magnums! I'm very happy with the Winchester .270 rounds for hunting as the bullet itself is not even available to the reloader. Hopefully, it will be one day. But I've got a rather large number of calibers I could reload for and will get more than just the .41 dies. I've got a lot more learning to do but I'll be having much more time on my hands once we move than I do now.

I won't be doing it to "save" money as I know I'll be doing a lot more shooting. I'll be doing it so I can shoot more. Almost went with an AP press as the Tommy Gun loves to eat those .45's but I think I'll be able to get by...

garyb
11-26-2013, 07:10 AM
I was just about to get into reloading about a year ago.

Turned out to be the worst timing in the world. Figured I'd give it some time and do a bit more research as to what I really wanted/needed and for what reasons. Maybe this whole mess has been a blessing in disguise. I've learned much more over the past year than I had learned before from reading forums, talking to a few experienced reloaders and just keeping my eyes open.

I'll be purchasing a Hornady Classic Lock-n-Load Kit next month. Single stage and comes with "most" of what a beginner needs. I know I'll need to get a few other items/tools before I start. I won't start reloading anything until we move sometime next year where I can set things up properly. In that time I'll start gathering the dies, bullets and casings, along with the other tools I'll need.

What really pushed me finally over the edge was the price of .41 magnums! I'm very happy with the Winchester .270 rounds for hunting as the bullet itself is not even available to the reloader. Hopefully, it will be one day. But I've got a rather large number of calibers I could reload for and will get more than just the .41 dies. I've got a lot more learning to do but I'll be having much more time on my hands once we move than I do now.

I won't be doing it to "save" money as I know I'll be doing a lot more shooting. I'll be doing it so I can shoot more. Almost went with an AP press as the Tommy Gun loves to eat those .45's but I think I'll be able to get by...

For handgun, you would not be disappointed with the LNL AP press over the Classic. Rifles are another matter. I don't shoot enough rifle to reload for them (being that I live in an area that only allows shotgun and muzzleloader hunting). The Hornady LNL AP has been fantastic for handgun loading. Very simple to use. The powder cop is a nice station for quick powder checks during the process. Get your self a couple of reloading manuals and read them. You'll be ready to go.

MW surveyor
12-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Well, didn't get to reload the other week but made up for it today!

Loaded up 200 rounds of 45 ACP today. That is 800 pulls of the handle. Used up the last of my Wolf primers so at least 200 of those handle pulls was pretty stout.

Tinman507
12-08-2013, 03:59 PM
800 pulls?

http://www.dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-Articles/0804-Winter-2008-09/~/media/Images/DGAQ%20Article%20Images/0804%20Winter%202008%2009/screeningRoom_YoungFrankenstein03%20jpg.ashx?w=275&h=172&as=1

mr surveyor
12-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Yesterday, I loaded a hundred rounds of .45 acp, then ran across a box of Rim Rock 158 gr lswc's with about 400 left and loaded up 50 in .38 spl brass and 50 in .357 brass. The plan was to load up 300-400 .45 acp, but my stash of Bayou Bullets is getting pretty slim.

I didn't "pull the handle" 800 times, but I suppose I did squeeze the hand press at least 400 times yesterday.

garyb
12-08-2013, 05:57 PM
I guess if you enjoy the process...you enjoy the process. I can see where working on the single stage for handgun ammo is OK too. It is relaxing to reload.

MW surveyor
12-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Use a turret press. The time saver is not having to remove the case after each stage.

garyb
12-09-2013, 06:15 AM
Use a turret press. The time saver is not having to remove the case after each stage.

I have the AP press for handgun ammo. Are you suggesting the turret for rifle ammo over a single stage? (Not that I have any immediate plans to reload for my rifles.) Just curious.

MW surveyor
12-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Oops - should have said, I use a turret......

If you are just loading up a few rounds for the rifle, then the single stage is more than OK. I only load pistol ammo and did not want to go to the expense of a fully automatic press so the next best thing is a turret for loading multiple rounds one at a time.

Bob T
12-09-2013, 02:40 PM
I guess if you enjoy the process...you enjoy the process. I can see where working on the single stage for handgun ammo is OK too. It is relaxing to reload.

That's me to a "T"....

I've been using a single stage press for handgun and rifle for at least 30 years....And I weigh each charge in an old 5-0-5 scale....
I enjoy the process immensely...slow and easy...:D

Bob T.

garyb
12-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Oops - should have said, I use a turret......

If you are just loading up a few rounds for the rifle, then the single stage is more than OK. I only load pistol ammo and did not want to go to the expense of a fully automatic press so the next best thing is a turret for loading multiple rounds one at a time.

OK. Understood. Thanks for clarification.

mr surveyor
12-09-2013, 06:29 PM
That's me to a "T"....

I've been using a single stage press for handgun and rifle for at least 30 years....And I weigh each charge in an old 5-0-5 scale....
I enjoy the process immensely...slow and easy...:D

Bob T.

pretty much what I do too. About the only difference is I use a PACT digital scale. I throw each charge with a dipper and trickle up to my load weight, then powder in a loading block, 25 at a time, then check with a light to verify that I didn't skip one or double charge one. Then a short break from powdering to seating bullets, and repeat until done. When I get them all seated, they get cycled through the Lee FCD and boxed up. At some point you have to make a trip to the range to empty out the brass so there will be some to reload.

Bob T
12-09-2013, 06:37 PM
At some point you have to make a trip to the range to empty out the brass so there will be some to reload.

Hahaha....I ofttimes tell my friends I just go to the range to empty brass so I can fill it up again.:)

mr surveyor
12-26-2013, 09:29 PM
it sure has been quiet here in the reloading room at Kahr Talk lately.

I spent most of my free time last week tinkering with various .44 mag loads for the Super RedHawk and Rossi R92. Also shot a box of my .45 acp Bayou Bullet loads through the Springfield XDs that recently cam back from a 2 month visit at the mother ship. That range trip was so disappointing that I made another trip with my old Kimber to pop another box downrange just to prove to myself that the poor performance of the XDs wasn't due to my loads or all due to my lack of ability. The XDs was sold the next day (at a total loss of $28 over the 4 months I had it). Part of the proceeds went as a stocking stuffer for mrs surv, and the other part is going into a Shooting Chrony F1 and an RCBS 750 digital scale (so I can return the borrowed PACT scale I've been using for the last year or so). I don't own a chrony and it's a real pita to have to impose on my two buddies that do, so the addition of the chrony will be a new step in my load development at just the right time as I've nearly tweaked out the accuracy on a few. The RCBS scale won't be anything different as I believe it's the exact same scale as the PACT, only with the John Deere .... I mean RCBS colors.

Just trying to keep the door to the reloading room open :D

JD

garyb
12-27-2013, 06:37 AM
it sure has been quiet here in the reloading room at Kahr Talk lately.

I spent most of my free time last week tinkering with various .44 mag loads for the Super RedHawk and Rossi R92. Also shot a box of my .45 acp Bayou Bullet loads through the Springfield XDs that recently cam back from a 2 month visit at the mother ship. That range trip was so disappointing that I made another trip with my old Kimber to pop another box downrange just to prove to myself that the poor performance of the XDs wasn't due to my loads or all due to my lack of ability. The XDs was sold the next day (at a total loss of $28 over the 4 months I had it). Part of the proceeds went as a stocking stuffer for mrs surv, and the other part is going into a Shooting Chrony F1 and an RCBS 750 digital scale (so I can return the borrowed PACT scale I've been using for the last year or so). I don't own a chrony and it's a real pita to have to impose on my two buddies that do, so the addition of the chrony will be a new step in my load development at just the right time as I've nearly tweaked out the accuracy on a few. The RCBS scale won't be anything different as I believe it's the exact same scale as the PACT, only with the John Deere .... I mean RCBS colors.

Just trying to keep the door to the reloading room open :D

JD

Glad to see someone out there keeping our gift of reloading dialogs alive. Having that chrony will be a great advantage to your reloading equipment. Good move on your part to pick one up. I have had one for over 30 years and although it does not get used a whole lot, I find it very informative at times. This spring I plan to test my arrow velocity so I can determine the kinetic energy of 100 vs 125 gr broad heads with the arrows I am currently using through my 60# bow. Ive been using 125gr, but I may just learn something from the test relative to velocity vs KE. I also use the chrony when I develop a new load for my muzzleloaders or my 40. Now that I have 380 dies for my wife's gun, I will be using it for that too. I'd own a chrony before I would a digital scale....(because I don't own a digital scale. I've had a 10/10 for over 30 yrs too). Chronys are a Great tool to have at your convenience.

mr surveyor
12-27-2013, 01:46 PM
my order along with my son's want list was all available at only one place, and it wasn't Midway or Brownells. Natchez Shooters Supply always seems to come through for me. They were the only ones to have any new .357 brass available, so they got our full order filled .... hopefully delivered by next Friday. I should have ordered 2 boxes of 140 gr XTP bullets (like my son) while they were in stock, but only ordered one. It wouldn't have added much of anything to the shipping cost.

garyb
12-27-2013, 02:27 PM
I've short ordered for myself from time to time and later kick myself for it. It's always good to double everything. When I'm ordering powder or primers, I always over order because of the hazmat fees. My 40 components are in good supply right now, but they will dwindle this spring when IDPA starts back up.

mr surveyor
12-27-2013, 09:30 PM
yeah, I had about $50 more I should have put into that order which would have bought another couple boxes of the 140 XTPs, or the bench block, or a set of pin punches, or......

I was just excited to hear that they had everything in stock on our immediate list. Got a bit too giddy and lost my focus :)

I've never had enough need to order powder/primers and pay the shipping and hazmat fees. Been lucky enough to have local small shops put together "group buys" to include the shop owner for stocking his shelf and the "friends of the shop" to cover a small share of the shipping/hazmat fee. Nice to live in "small town America". :Amflag2:

JD

muggsy
12-28-2013, 06:00 AM
Berry's is back in the bullet business. I just received an order of .380, 9mm, .38 and .45 projectiles, 250 each. That replenishes my supply and should keep me out of trouble for a little while. I haven't been to the range of late due to the holidays. A shooting session is long overdue.

garyb
12-28-2013, 06:44 AM
I hear ya. I won't get to the range again until we head to FL in our Class A for the winter. I usually go shooting with my daughter, son-in-law and the grandkids. Taking my 6 yr old grandson down a new compound bow all tricked out, a couple doz arrows, new release, etc... Fun days ahead.