PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday United States Marine Corps!

gb6491
11-10-2013, 09:28 AM
I'd like to wish all Marines a "Happy Birthday"
I hope this 238th birthday of our Corps finds you and yours happy, healthy, and safe.
It was and continues to be my great honor to have served with you all.
A special prayer for those going in harm's way, God speed brothers and sisters.
Semper Fi,
Greg
http://i39.tinypic.com/263ion4.jpg

Bawanna
11-10-2013, 10:10 AM
My first guess is your are back row 8th from left, second guess is back row second from right, third guess is 3rd row (not counting sgts) first guy on left.

Forth guess is your not in this picture and you just fooled me into guessing all morning.

Wish I could have been with yall.

gb6491
11-10-2013, 10:23 AM
My first guess is your are back row 8th from left, second guess is back row second from right, third guess is 3rd row (not counting sgts) first guy on left.

Forth guess is your not in this picture and you just fooled me into guessing all morning.

Wish I could have been with yall.
Darn Bawanna, did you have to choose all the ugly guys as your guesses?:D
I was the platoon guide at the time, so I'm down in the front (just noticed that the guidon is pointed right at my head:eek:).
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
11-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Well crap, I blew that, although that was my 27th guess.

You were quite the handsome lad and I bet a super chick magnet. I being an unworthy civilian puke don't even know what a platoon guide is. Didn't even look too much to the front.

In my own defense you were wearing a different hat. Guess I was going on facial figures or something, I sure missed the mark by about a mile and 3/4.

b4uqzme
11-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Spent the weekend with my FIL who is a Marine. Happy Birthday.

dirtkicker
11-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Happy Birthday Marine Corp!

I watched a show last week, I believe on the Military channel, that documented the history and training of the Marine Corp Recon units.

Those were/are some bad a z z boys.

God bless all our soldiers. Veterans day tomorrow!

SGT5711
11-10-2013, 11:13 AM
OOH RAH! Happy Birthday to my brother and sister Marines!

Bill K
11-10-2013, 01:42 PM
It was a honor to serve. [USMC 1962-1966.]

Semper Fi

muggsy
11-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Well crap, I blew that, although that was my 27th guess.

You were quite the handsome lad and I bet a super chick magnet. I being an unworthy civilian puke don't even know what a platoon guide is. Didn't even look too much to the front.

In my own defense you were wearing a different hat. Guess I was going on facial figures or something, I sure missed the mark by about a mile and 3/4.

In the Navy we said that you could always tell a marine, but you couldn't tell the much. I bet that still applies. I used to train them in how to make an amphibious assault. Great bunch of guys.

Alfonse
11-10-2013, 02:12 PM
My first guess was the guy on the left on the bottom, because his hat is shading most of his face. :)

jeffy56
11-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Semper Fi. Guaduated 25 May 1977. Platoon 1017, MCRD San Diego. Was that bugle even used? Never saw one that I can remember. Things got weird soon after, no budget, no money. Between Carter & Congress soon the Corps was looking to shed some people. Then there was Beirut.

Things have changed a lot. I talked to young man out about 18 months ago after 6yrs. In many ways they are better trained, but there are also many changes due to political correctness. Not good ones either.

gb6491
11-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Semper Fi. Guaduated 25 May 1977. Platoon 1017, MCRD San Diego. Was that bugle even used? Never saw one that I can remember. Things got weird soon after, no budget, no money. Between Carter & Congress soon the Corps was looking to shed some people. Then there was Beirut.

Things have changed a lot. I talked to young man out about 18 months ago after 6yrs. In many ways they are better trained, but there are also many changes due to political correctness. Not good ones either.
I'm not sure I ever knew how the bugle came about. The guy holding it was Pvt. Schmidt and he had some skill with it. They had him play reveille and taps with it when we were in our 2nd Bn barracks. I don't think he played it when we were at the rifle range or during a short stay in some 3rd. Bn barracks.
Regards,
Greg

bob98366
11-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Happy Birthday, Devil Dogs, from a squid who served with you on USS ESSEX (LHD-2) out of Sasebo. :Amflag2:

jdlott74
11-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Happy Birthday Devil Dogs, and to my Marine jlottmc

SGT5711
11-11-2013, 02:04 AM

I got out in 1998, and back then we still had 1950's field jackets and shelter halves. A couple of years ago, a fellow Marine and I traveled to St Louis for a day during Marine Week, which was held there that year. Awesome day, but what I was most impressed with was the gear they currently have. Today's Marines have the newest, and best gear available. I was amazed at how far they have come since I got out. Very happy for them, the finest should have the finest gear.

Greg, is that a rifle marksman badge I spy on your uniform? I would have figured you were at least a sharpshooter.

johnh
11-11-2013, 06:47 AM
Happy birthday Marine Corps! Some of the finest fellows I have known were Marines. Consistently men I could count on no matter what. I wonder where they learned that? :)

gb6491
11-11-2013, 07:40 AM
....Greg, is that a rifle marksman badge I spy on your uniform? I would have figured you were at least a sharpshooter.
Yes it is and I was glad to have that toilet seat. The wind was very bad for the first relays to shoot that day and we had a lot of guys that didn't qualify.

I got out in 1998, and back then we still had 1950's field jackets and shelter halves. A couple of years ago, a fellow Marine and I traveled to St Louis for a day during Marine Week, which was held there that year. Awesome day, but what I was most impressed with was the gear they currently have. Today's Marines have the newest, and best gear available. I was amazed at how far they have come since I got out. Very happy for them, the finest should have the finest gear.

I agree. I retired about the same time frame (01 Sept. 2001) and some the equipment I see in use today seems light years ahead of what we had then.
Semper Fi,
Greg

wyntrout
11-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Semper Fi, USMC!

My "cube mate" was a very big Marine(>6'4") at the Defense Language Institute, West Coast, Presidio of Monterey, CA, 1964-1965.

And I gave a lift to many Marines when I was driving our aircrew bus at Danang AB during First Tet, January-March 1968. Those guys went to Danang for R&R!

It was my honor to serve alongside them.

:Amflag2:

Wynn:)

SGT5711
11-11-2013, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=gb6491;272965]Yes it is and I was glad to have that toilet seat. The wind was very bad for the first relays to shoot that day and we had a lot of guys that didn't qualify.

My confession: Same sort of story, I shot well all week, but ended up a marksman on qual day in boot camp. I hated that damn toilet seat on my uniform, but I qualified expert every year after that, and one year was mid 240's. I think that year was after they changed the scoring system, but that's what it equated to.

BTW, I couldn't shoot the Beretta for crap. It has too wide a grip for me. That's why I love the Kahr single stacks so much.

I would imagine it was hard for you to retire knowing what came 10 days later. Thank you for your service to our country and Corps. Semper Fi!

muggsy
11-11-2013, 11:48 AM
In the Navy the guide was awarded to the smallest guy in the company. I almost received the honor.