PDA

View Full Version : Remington FMJ 115 gr UMC shells

Allen
11-15-2013, 01:01 PM
I've noticed Wal Mart is starting to get in some 9mm Remington 115 gr FMJ shells in 50, 100, and 250 Value Pack. These boxes all show UMC on them and the 250 pack shows Union Metal Corporation.

What does UMC stand for? Are these metal cases instead of the usual brass? And if so, should they be avoided? Wal Mart still has some WWB and Federal 9mm in stock.

I have always thought Remington was a good cartridge, but if these are metal cases will this be such a good deal as Wal Mart has them priced?

JimC
11-15-2013, 01:07 PM
In the old days, UMC stood for Union Metallic Cartridge Company.

I have not idea what it might stand for today except United Methodist Church!

scosgt
11-15-2013, 01:24 PM
It is just a Remington brand name for marketing purposes.
I must say this however:
Last year I had a Remington UMC JHP squib in my Glock .45. They sent me a check for $10 for my trouble - which fortunately did get the bullet out of the barrel so I did not have a disaster.

A few weeks ago I had a fail to eject on the 115 FMJ in my HK P7!!!!!
Yes, a malfunction in a P7!!!!!!!!!
First one EVER.
Fired about 300 S&B and Fiocchi after that, flawless. Had to be the ammo.

The round must have been severely under powered.

So in my opinion, if you can but it cheap it is fine for the range but it can be inconsistent and cause failures.

getsome
11-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Had the same thing happen a couple years ago using Remington UMC .45 ACP in my 1911 my youngest son was shooting...Cartridge ejected but gun wouldn't go into battery with a fresh round...Couldn't figure it out at first because the gun had been rock solid for thousands of rounds before....Used a rod and found out it was a squib bullet stuck in the barrel...

If the stuck bullet had of gone in just another 1/4 inch then a fresh round would have chambered and he would of Ka-Boomed the gun...:eek:...I looked at the remaining rounds in the box of 100 and found 2 that had the bullet seated at an angle partially crushing the brass....

I would agree that UMC is under powered at best and the quality controll may not be as good as other range ammo....I have never had the first problem with Winchester WWB Wally World ammo and if it's available it is my choice....If you do go with the UMC be alert for squibs and ammo caused malfunctions....

JimC
11-15-2013, 01:58 PM
As I recall, Rem. back in the early '90's, Rem. had a yellow box with black lettering UMC line that was made in Mexico.
It was noted for being dirty and under powered.
I know the current UMC line comes in green and white boxes. I've stayed away from it due to less than stellar experiences with the old UMC line.

Allen
11-15-2013, 02:04 PM
In the old days, UMC stood for Union Metallic Cartridge Company.

I have not idea what it might stand for today except United Methodist Church!

You are probably right on the UMC. My memory may not have served me exactly correct by the time I got home and on the Forum. Good call on the Methodist Church.

RRP
11-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Allen,

Union Metallic Cartridge (UMC) company, goes way back. This link (http://www.remington.com/pages/our-company/company-history.aspx) provides some history.

I have had good luck with UMC ammo. The round nose bullets feed nicely in my compact Kahr pistols. In my experience it isn't any dirtier than any other target fodder, and it is often less expensive than some other brands.

Allen
11-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Glad to get the information on under-powered cartridges. I've seen a rifle in past years that had a bullet lodged in the barrel with a second on fired. Bulged the barrel but since it was a .22 no harm came to the firer. Can't imagine what would happen with a larger caliber, and since we often practice with double taps this could be a real danger. Popular named products don't mean much any more as far as the quality we used to know.

JimC
11-15-2013, 02:29 PM
The UMC brand old...I would say so.
Before they were actually Remington.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/KobraCarry/Miscellaneous/IMG_1371800x596_zps21d2960b.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/KobraCarry/media/Miscellaneous/IMG_1371800x596_zps21d2960b.jpg.html)

jocko
11-15-2013, 02:51 PM
I've noticed Wal Mart is starting to get in some 9mm Remington 115 gr FMJ shells in 50, 100, and 250 Value Pack. These boxes all show UMC on them and the 250 pack shows Union Metal Corporation.

What does UMC stand for? Are these metal cases instead of the usual brass? And if so, should they be avoided? Wal Mart still has some WWB and Federal 9mm in stock.

I have always thought Remington was a good cartridge, but if these are metal cases will this be such a good deal as Wal Mart has them priced?

think Remington makes any STEEL cased 9mm..

Sage
11-15-2013, 03:04 PM
A couple of years ago I bought ten 50 round boxes of the 9mm 115gr UMC and shot it through my P226. I had no problems with it. Then again I've never had a problem with any ammo in my P226.

scosgt
11-15-2013, 03:23 PM
The 250 round packs are yellow. The hundred round packs are green.
AFAIK the ammo is the same, but I don't think JHP comes in 250 round packs.

Aside from the squib, the JHP is definitely loaded hotter.

jocko
11-15-2013, 03:44 PM
I think the 250 round boxes that I have seen have been marked UMC, why they do that is beyound me. I think it is good ammo no doubt.

RRP
11-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Well, I just checked my ammo cabinet. The 50 and 100 round boxes, as well as the 250 round Mega Packs are all labeled "Remington UMC". But on the Mega Packs, the UMC logo is much more prominent than on the smaller boxes.

TheTman
11-15-2013, 04:57 PM
From Brownell's Online Catalog:
Reliable, Economical, Popular Handgun Calibers & Loads

Made with Remington components right here in the USA, UMC ammo provides shooters with an excellent blend of value and performance. It’s available in today’s most popular pistol and revolver calibers with both metal case (MC) or jacketed hollow point (JHP) bullets. For target shooting, tactical training, action-pistol competition, or any other high-volume shooting activity, UMC handgun ammunition offers outstanding performance without any compromise in quality or reliability. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a better value anywhere. Many of the most sought-after calibers are available in convenient bulk packs.

jocko
11-15-2013, 05:36 PM
so then is UMC not brass cases???/ I didn't know that..

RRP
11-15-2013, 05:41 PM
It is brass.

Allen
11-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Glad to hear this Remington ammo is good to use on the range as it gives another source with the tight supply we seem to be having to contend with lately. I'll have to try a couple boxes of it during my new Kahr break-in. So far this little CM9 doesn't seem to be very particular about what I run through it. I will admit during the last range visit I used a couple of mags of WWB 147gr JHP and could definitely feel the harshness in the base of my thumb area where the gun handle rests. Wouldn't want to be practicing very much with that load.

scosgt
11-15-2013, 10:05 PM
You are complaining about 147gr 9mm?????

Move up to the CM40 180gr son.

muggsy
11-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Bulk ammo is generally bargain basement ammo. It's ok for range ammo, but it's generally on the low power end and very dirty. You get what you pay for. My only gripe is with the people who use it and experience malfunctions and then blame the gun. Garbage in, garbage out. To my knowledge UMC only makes brass case ammo.

Rubb
11-16-2013, 02:41 PM
I'll never use UMC again.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8856

Allen
11-16-2013, 07:21 PM
You are complaining about 147gr 9mm?????

Move up to the CM40 180gr son.

Just not completely used to my little CM9 yet. 158 gr .357 magnum or 240 gr .44 magnum don't bother. I'm sure the CM40 would be a handful too.