PDA

View Full Version : Where were you when President Kennedy was shot?

Bawanna
11-22-2013, 02:11 PM
I remember like yesterday I was in my 4th grade classroom, Mrs. Solomon's class. She was mean but we got along ok.

They announced over the PA system that he had been shot and then that he had died. They brought in TV sets to the classrooms and spent most of the rest of the day watching the events on TV.

Teacher wept as did most of us even though I don't think many of us really had a clue.

Sad day for sure.

Wondered ever since how things would be today if that hadn't happened. There was a lot of world changing events going on right about then.

7shot
11-22-2013, 02:18 PM
I was in morning kindergarden, it was only half days where I grew up. I don't remember anyone telling us or hearing about it on the news, but I do remember watching the funeral and John John saluting his dad on the tv.

jocko
11-22-2013, 02:20 PM
I waswalkingout of a class at Indiana State University, remember exactly where I was at and seen all the people (gals mostly) crying etc, so I know it was true...

O'Dell
11-22-2013, 02:34 PM
I was in a marine engineering class at USNA. Of course we weren't allowed TV's or radios, so the Academy made a general announcement.

getsome
11-22-2013, 02:38 PM
I was just about to turn 6 years old and was in our kitchen when the phone rang and my mom answered it and after a minute started crying and hung up....I had never seen her cry before and it scared me a bit but she hugged me and told me she was ok but was sad because something awful had happened to President Kennedy....

I had no clue who Kennedy was but I remember we went to my grandmothers house because she had a TV and the adults all gathered around the tiny little set and all were crying....

I remember watching the funeral march and couldn't figure out the riderless horse with the boots facing backwards and I distinctly remember John John giving his salute as his fathers casket rolled by....

chrish
11-22-2013, 03:18 PM
I was -7.

cigarrodog
11-22-2013, 03:18 PM
I was a high school sophomore getting a JV football letter when the coach made the announcement. We were quickly sent home. The weather was super windy and cold. I was planted in front of the TV all the way through the Funeral. They played Ruby shooting Oswald in the garage repeatedly. I remember the Boots riding backwards in the stirrups. I also remember the drums beating. To this day I could pound out that sad rhythm from memory alone. Sure did change things.

JohnR
11-22-2013, 03:19 PM
I was in my mom's belly.

Bawanna
11-22-2013, 03:25 PM
That was one of the cool things I liked about Reagans funeral, the boots riding backwards were actually really his boots that he wore.

The said at the time and I have not idea if it's true or not but that was the first time a Presidents real boots were used.

deadeye
11-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Had arrived at NAS Alameda air station 2 weeks before it happened. We were just coming in for a landing when they called us on the radio and informed us. Knew it had to be true as they didn't play around with the radios.

RevRay
11-22-2013, 03:56 PM
I was in my senior English class in high school. I don't remember much about the rest of that day, but I do remember sitting in front of the television set for the next 2-3 days.

berettabone
11-22-2013, 03:57 PM
I was standing in the kitchen of a new house with my parents and uncle. They were all painting. We heard it on the radio. My uncle, who served in Korea, was visibly shaken...................

AJBert
11-22-2013, 04:01 PM
I believe I was at the end of the first trimester in my mom's belly. Perhaps the beginning of the second trimester.

melissa5
11-22-2013, 04:25 PM
1.5 years from being born.

Bawanna
11-22-2013, 04:28 PM
1.5 years from being born.

Oh this is just great, now the guys are gonna call me a cradle robber for sure.

Ok, I can live with that. You've been neglecting us Melissa and "I" missed you very much.

Edit to add- the rest of these pathetic losers don't know your alive, especially Jocko who prefers woolies.

ltxi
11-22-2013, 04:40 PM
I was on my way back from the squadron orderly room where I’d just been notified I’d made my third stripe early when I got the news.

Don’t remember the precise time, but the precise point in space has been fixed in my memory and mind for 50 years....two thirds of the way across the street in front of and heading toward my barracks at Travis AFB.

jocko
11-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Oh this is just great, now the guys are gonna call me a cradle robber for sure.

Ok, I can live with that. You've been neglecting us Melissa as we missed you very much.

WE?

why do u always say WE whenur hitting onforum gals. Does it take the pressure off of u??? Just sayin. I have never hit on her, utter than u, there is no WE...:amflag:

Bawanna
11-22-2013, 05:17 PM
OK, I manned up and fixed it. Glad you never hit on her, I'd have to take ya out. No chance now that I let your preferences out of the sack too.

jeepster09
11-22-2013, 05:33 PM
:eek: eeeooww......talk of the sack :ohmy:

bob98366
11-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Sick at home from school, so watched the TV coverage live. Mom and I watched Cronkite.

ltxi
11-22-2013, 05:58 PM
:eek: eeeooww......talk of the sack :ohmy:

Oh, stop that....I want to hear this....

muggsy
11-22-2013, 06:01 PM
I was a junior in High School and in Drafting Class when the announcement was made on the P.A. system. There is no truth to the rumor that I was standing behind a picket fence on the grassy knoll.

ripley16
11-22-2013, 06:07 PM
In school in District Heights, Maryland, We lived just a few miles outside of D.C. then. My Dad was F.B.I. He was very busy for the next few weeks. We all went to see the funeral procession. It was a pretty big somber crowd, cold and windy day.

CJB
11-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Kindergarten. Miss Matthis. Teach got a knock on door...we were in a circle on the floor. A bad man shot president Kennedy. Patty Adamo dropped her Lornadoon. I picked it up and ate it.

Jeremiah/Az
11-22-2013, 08:04 PM
I was workin' in Hemet, Cal. , a lineman buildin' power lines. Didn't hear about it 'til we came in that evenin'.

Yogi 117
11-22-2013, 08:14 PM
3rd grader having lunch in the school cafeteria when it was announced on the West Coast. Everyone was sent home just before noon Pacific time.

xsailer
11-22-2013, 08:20 PM
I was 23 and working at Cessna when a working buddy walked up and said Kennedy had be shot. I didn't believe it. The following days were awful. The 60's were terrible for tragedies. King, another Kennedy, got drafted, Kent State early 70, Viet Nam. It just seemed every week there was a problem

Tinman507
11-23-2013, 02:22 AM
Sitting in my 3rd grade classroom. Sister George Marie. There's a knock at the door and a couple of 8th grade girls are there crying. Whispered something to Sister and she goes pale. The church bell next door begins ringing non stop.
Sister told us the president was dead. They herded the whole school over to the church for a prayer service I suppose while they organized transportation home. I remember it was grey and cold and anxiety filled.
Watched the next 4 days nonstop on TV.
Hard to separate memories of later seeing video of the funeral with memories of actually watching the events live on TV.
Feels like the whole world changed that day.

RRP
11-23-2013, 03:43 AM
Kindergarten. Miss Matthis. ~
Patty Adamo dropped her Lornadoon. I picked it up and ate it.

This gave me a hell of a chuckle!

muggsy
11-23-2013, 06:58 AM
I was 23 and working at Cessna when a working buddy walked up and said Kennedy had be shot. I didn't believe it. The following days were awful. The 60's were terrible for tragedies. King, another Kennedy, got drafted, Kent State early 70, Viet Nam. It just seemed every week there was a problem

Kinda like now ain't it?

VN Vet
11-23-2013, 09:30 AM
I was a Freshman in High School. I was in Herr Baker's German language class. Class was dismissed and School was dismissed.

OldLincoln
11-23-2013, 11:06 AM
I was in a theater in Newbury, England. They shut off the projector. raised the lights and a man went to the stage and announced he had been assassinated. I was stunned and the Brits started wailing. It took me a long time to leave and one after another embraced me and gave their sincere condolences. I walked back to the base and was told everything was on full alert.

It was years later when something came up about the country's reverent relationship with the queen that I understood they thought of Kennedy on par with the queen.

yqtszhj
11-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Kindergarten. Miss Matthis. Patty Adamo dropped her Lornadoon. I picked it up and ate it.

An opportunist since your childhood I see.:amflag:

VN Vet
11-23-2013, 04:51 PM
I was in a theater in Newbury, England. They shut off the projector. raised the lights and a man went to the stage and announced he had been assassinated. I was stunned and the Brits started wailing. It took me a long time to leave and one after another embraced me and gave their sincere condolences. I walked back to the base and was told everything was on full alert.

It was years later when something came up about the country's reverent relationship with the queen that I understood they thought of Kennedy on par with the queen.

I was too young to vote. My family voted for Nixon, but I was told even Republicans loved JFK.

If ever there could have been a Camelot, it would have been the US. If ever there could have been a King Arthur and his Queen Quinevere, it would have been John and Jackie Kennedy.

As with Camelot, it all died in the hearts of men everywhere in a place sometime long ago. Camelot, Oh Camelot...........you are truely missed.

jocko
11-23-2013, 05:18 PM
I like him also but the news media back then covered up for alot of his Monica back door white house stuff.

Personally I don't reallycare what they do after hours even TODAY, I vote for the presidkent to run this country and to do right. If he wants to bang some gal while Jackie is in the utter room sleepin, that is between to adults. Just run this country for the GOOD OF THE COUNTRY. Today our POTUS could care less about our cuntry.

I nver everthought Jackie was a knock out either buyt she played the rold of th presidents wife as best of anyone. I can't remeber is she got into any of those TAKE THE BILLBAORDS OFF TGHE HIGHWAY or WATCH WHAT KIDS EAT AND TELL SCHOOLS HOW TO FEED THE KIDS,or SAVE THEWHALES sh!t. Seemsnow the first lady has to now be out in front with general Bull sh!t stuff.

I do find it ironic that our POTUS who is promoting his ACA to everyone, the sh!thead smokes. Heis a great example IMO of what a walking POS should look and act like. Just sayin

ltxi
11-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Smoking is different than doing interns or Marlyn on the side. It's less acceptable.

jocko
11-23-2013, 05:32 PM
which, the smoking or doin the interns???

ltxi
11-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Smoking of course. Thought that was obvious. What be wrong witchu, Julius?

cobrasjp
11-24-2013, 12:45 AM
Sitting in my 3rd grade classroom. Sister George Marie. There's a knock at the door and a couple of 8th grade girls are there crying. Whispered something to Sister and she goes pale. The church bell next door begins ringing non stop.
Sister told us the president was dead. They herded the whole school over to the church for a prayer service

Tinman,
We must be the same age. I was sitting in Sister Rose Teresa's 3rd grade classroom. It was already a somber day because my sister in 4th grade was having open-heart surgery and all the classes were praying for her. Then the news came about Kennedy being shot and it made a bad day even worse.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

OldSarge
11-24-2013, 06:59 AM
I was in Germany, we went on full alert and spent the night in the back of a truck waiting to be thrown into the Fulda Gap.

muggsy
11-24-2013, 07:15 AM
I like him also but the news media back then covered up for alot of his Monica back door white house stuff.

Personally I don't reallycare what they do after hours even TODAY, I vote for the presidkent to run this country and to do right. If he wants to bang some gal while Jackie is in the utter room sleepin, that is between to adults. Just run this country for the GOOD OF THE COUNTRY. Today our POTUS could care less about our cuntry.

I nver everthought Jackie was a knock out either buyt she played the rold of th presidents wife as best of anyone. I can't remeber is she got into any of those TAKE THE BILLBAORDS OFF TGHE HIGHWAY or WATCH WHAT KIDS EAT AND TELL SCHOOLS HOW TO FEED THE KIDS,or SAVE THEWHALES sh!t. Seemsnow the first lady has to now be out in front with general Bull sh!t stuff.

I do find it ironic that our POTUS who is promoting his ACA to everyone, the sh!thead smokes. Heis a great example IMO of what a walking POS should look and act like. Just sayin

If he wants to bang some broad it's between two women and his two children. The way that I feel about it, Jocko, is that if a man is willing to cheat on his wife and risk losing his children, he'll cheat on you in a heartbeat. A man's integrity is all that he really has. Yeah, I know, I'm a boyscout.

swampman
11-24-2013, 08:09 AM
I was 6 yrs, old on the city bus with my mom,Someone had a transistor radio,When the news came on the radio.Most of the people started crying

warbird1
11-24-2013, 05:07 PM
I was 11 so probably in school. I remember the funeral primarily because of the funeral carriage. He wasn't real popular in my neck of the woods.

Harrylee
11-24-2013, 07:30 PM
I was home sick at the time from school and remember all the news flashing about the president getting shot. Still at that young age I felt said to see this, this was a time mark for all of our lives. To be in a time when the president was assassinated was a mind boggling thing to happen. Seems like all of America liked the man I was young and didn’t know, but still to see and hear the head of the US was shot down was a very uneasy state of mind. Really don’t know what kind of president he would have been if he stayed alive, some say good and some say not good, don’t know answer to that. Just remember a said day

jlottmc
11-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Not even a twinkle in my daddy's eye (wait never was that ever). I wasn't even in the seed sack yet as he would have been 7 or 8.

Bawanna
11-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Aw the insanity of youth.

jlottmc
11-25-2013, 07:29 AM
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it.

jdlott74
11-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Never even thought about yet...I wouldn't be born for another 11 years.

Legend
11-26-2013, 05:48 PM
On a bayonet course at Ft. Knox, Ky .... Kill, Kill, Kill

Bawanna
11-26-2013, 06:48 PM
I kind of like that. Kill, Kill, Kill.....kind of rolls off the tongue.

For any antigun communist pinko *** spies. I'm kidding.....................