PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Kansas City, Missouri

The Faux King
11-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Hello!

I have recently been wanting to purchase an alternate carry gun & found myself debating between a Colt Mustang, Sig P238, and the Kahr P380. I obviously decided on the Kahr. I have only been shooting for about eight years and consider myself to be a relatively new shooter. I generally go to a local range about twice a month; I have a CZ P-01, a Glock 26, Browning Buckmark Camper, and a Colt LE6920 SOCOM. I think very highly of all those firearms and expect this new Kahr P380 to be just as reliable and a joy to shoot. Not to mention a breeze to carry once summer comes back around -- really the main reason why this gun was purchased.

I purchased this gun from a member on gunbroker.com and this is the first online firearm purchase. Hopefully by this afternoon my money order will be received in Oregon and my new pistol (Black P380) should be in my hands by early December. I've read the .pdf file of the Kahr manual and watched the takedown video available on Kahr's website. I have also read the "proper prep" thread & studied the lube diagram & a variety of other threads in my short time here on the KahrTalk forum. Once my new P380 arrives I will update this thread with pictures of the gun and follow the steps outlined in the "proper prep thread" and deliver a fully detailed range report! Currently I only have one box of American Eagle 95 grain FMJ but I plan on going to Cabela's tomorrow to hopefully get a few more boxes of different varieties. I am very happy to be here and to have the opportunity to benefit from everyone's knowledge! Here is a pic of my current collection and can't wait for the new addition to arrive and go shooting!

http://i39.tinypic.com/x5nnnp.jpg

garyb
11-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Welcome. The 380 makes a fine pocket piece.

The Faux King
11-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Thanks Gary.

I went to a local shop this afternoon to look for some mags and a pocket holster -- struck out there but I did manage to pick up a box of PMC Bronze 90 grain FMJ and a box of Blazer Brass 95 grain FMJ.

SGT5711
11-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Welcome from Olathe. I also have a P380, and I love mine.

warbird1
11-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Welcome to the forum from the Heart of Dixie. Fine looking CZ you have.

The Faux King
11-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks Warbird, I love that P-01 -- it is the first pistol I ever purchased.

The Faux King
11-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Just got the gun this afternoon. Did the prep & lube as outlined here on KahrTalk. Shot 100 rounds -- absolutely flawless. Not a single FTF or FTE. This gun is an absolute dream! Can't wait to go shoot again!

http://i42.tinypic.com/1215s42.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/rlvyud.jpg

yqtszhj
11-28-2013, 07:29 AM
Welcome to the forum. I'm glad that P380 is working good for you so far. Hang around. You may consider yourself a relatively new shooter but that's a nice collection that you have so far.

That name you have there is unique too. Caused me to really think there for a bit. :)

warbird1
11-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Some nice shooting there!

The Faux King
11-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Picked up three standard capacity mags at Cabela's today and have a DeSantis Super Fly pocket holster on order

The Faux King
12-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Another 100 rounds of PMC Bronze 90 grain down the pipe today. Had two instances where the slide failed to lock back after the final round was fired from the magazine. Great shooting little gun and incredibly fun to shoot. Been carrying it daily as a BUG for about a month now and it's everything I expected and more -- very satisfied with this purchase!

RRP
12-28-2013, 01:37 AM
Had two instances where the slide failed to lock back after the final round was fired from the magazine.

Are you a right-handed shooter? That's a common occurrence with righties, because there's so little room for your thumbs on that tiny pistol. You could try shooting a few mags with your left hand, to see if the problem is hardware related.

Safe shootin'.

The Faux King
12-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Correct, I am a right handed shooter. However, instead of the typical thumbs forward grip I use with all my other pistols I always trap my right thumb beneath my left thumb. Also, when shooting this little gun I completely stray from conventional wisdom and pull the trigger with my second knuckle instead of just the pad of my trigger finger. Seem to be a little more accurate using that method. I also use four different magazines -- if it happens again I will try to isolate which magazine it happened with and do some troubleshooting.