PDA

View Full Version : PM9 Magazine Question

cigarrodog
11-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Hello Kahr Folks. Took my PM9 to the range today with 200 rounds. Did all the prep and lube as recommended. I never sling shotted. All went well. Except... 5 times, the round went downward, resulting in a ftf. At these times, it was difficult to remove the magazine, but I did it. Other than that, it was a pleasure to shoot. Loved everything. The sound, the trigger, the feel. I didn't even notice that I had cut my trigger finger. Is it legal to have this much fun?

So my question is what am I doing wrong with the magazines? What is the fix?One issue I'm having is determining which end is up with the magazine spring. Other than that, I'm confident that the Kahr is a great choice. Thanks in advance for any answers to my query.

jocko
11-25-2013, 01:29 PM
LOOK AT THE KAHR tech section under propper prepping of ur kahr. There are some things there u can check out. Such as the magazine follower could be grabbin on the slide loc lever at around round 2. Can u remember what round in the magazine it was doingit at?/

Could also be a tired shooter. 200 rounds is alot at one session, Owner gets tired but doesn't realize it, and then grip changes etc. shortrenur session to 100 or less.

Also just could be the final stages of the gun shootingitself in to. They seem to wok littleissues out in the first 200+ rounds. IMO if it was a bad part causing it, then it should duplicate itself more.

I think ur gonnabe OK, but give the feed ramp a good repoli9shing, and under the feed lips of the magazine also. Hopefully ur using the 6 round flush magazine to. Sometimes the extended version gives fits to someowners.

Keep us posted. these guys here can get ur going OK..

cigarrodog
11-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Thanks jocko. I'm going to do everything you suggested. The very first round fired nose-dived. The other four were in the middle. The seven rounder only did it once. I'm sure your other suggested causes were the culprits. At the end, I treated the gun to 6 Gold Dots. They loaded and fired perfectly. I'm stilly unsure which side of the spring goes to toward the follower. Thank you.

RRP
11-25-2013, 01:58 PM
The long point of the spring corresponds to the bullet tips. The bullet tips point upward, right, so you want the long point of the spring on the projectile side of the mag.

jocko
11-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks jocko. I'm going to do everything you suggested. The very first round fired nose-dived. The other four were in the middle. The seven rounder only did it once. I'm sure your other suggested causes were the culprits. At the end, I treated the gun to 6 Gold Dots. They loaded and fired perfectly. I'm stilly unsure which side of the spring goes to toward the follower. Thank you.

RP said is correct but if u have doubts, takethe one magazine that has never been apart and look how it is oriented. .

anything that u can polish with some fine 600+ grit paper or a dremel and a nice cotton swab and some flitz or fine compound. will help the gun. If the gold dots worked OK and u onlyt had 5 what evers, I am gonna say chalk it up to maybe tired shooter. Keep ur sessions shorter and do the prepstuff,and retest.

cigarrodog
11-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Thanks for your "food for thought."I will follow through with all the suggestions.

340pd
11-26-2013, 07:17 AM
Here is the option I went for. I sanded less than half of what was recommended and my gun chambers and shoots anything even with ultra slow slingshot method.

I did this to my stock Kahr mag followers.

Remove stock follower, 600 grit wrapped around a round pencil or dowel, three minutes later and after careful reassembly of mag (make sure spring is oriented correctly), and you are good to go.

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6943&highlight=follower+mod&page=2