PDA

View Full Version : PM45 Recoil Spring Assembly

Michael W.
05-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Wasn't quite sure if this post belongs here or in the Tech section.

As some of you know, my last range report I mentioned that I shot
off the retaining flange on my PM45 recoil spring assembly.

The replacement arrived in the mail today and I noticed it was
longer than the one I pulled out. I figured this was just due to the
fact that the original having been compressed for a lot longer and
shot more.

Well, I had a HECK of a time getting the new assembly in but finally
managed to get it installed after some choice &%$$*#*&^@^$!!!!
and bodily contortions.

Racking the slide with the new recoil spring felt tight but no tighter than
the gun felt when it was brand new. Then I noticed that I could not
lock the slide back. I tried inserting an empty mag and tried pushing up
on the slide lock but it just would't go that last 1/32" to lock.
So I'm like WTF? I pulled it apart and *carefully* took the recoil
spring out so I didn't spear myself in the eye. Sure enough, it's
got more coils than the old one!

http://www.fototime.com/DD9D0E059685A1E/orig.jpg

Only thing I can figure is that they sent me a P45 recoil assembly?
Anyway, I swapped the primary spring of the old one onto the new
assembly and now everything works again, I can install it without invoking
every known curse and the slide locks back just fine.

The only problem with this theory is that in all the pics on the Kahr site
the PM45 is the only 45 with a dual recoil spring assembly. All the other
.45 pics including the P45 show a solid recoil spring rod.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael-

Bawanna
05-15-2010, 02:57 PM
I don't have a for sure good answer but I know I played bloody heck trying to reinstall mine this morning. First time I did it, it seems very easy, no problem at all. The second time, I thought I'd messed something up, I couldn't get it to go for love nor swear words. It finally went and all is well but I still don't understand why two different effort ratios.

jocko
05-15-2010, 03:16 PM
calll um and inquire, make note of the coil count on each and then run it by IAN or Clay Covel, either one should be able to answer ur question. IMO there is to many extra coils on that new recoil spring and ur theory sounds more right than wrong..

Michael W.
05-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Ok, got an email from Ian today.....here's what he said:

"They were supposed to clip that recoil spring to the right length. Unfortunately they did not, however feel free to remove the excess coils from the recoil spring. It should have 13 coils. Sorry for the confusion. "

So mystery solved....

Michael-

jlottmc
05-18-2010, 07:02 AM
Hmmm, oops is in order I guess. makes a world of difference though doesn't it?

cgo99
05-18-2010, 07:25 AM

"They were supposed to clip that recoil spring to the right length. Unfortunately they did not, however feel free to remove the excess coils from the recoil spring. It should have 13 coils. Sorry for the confusion. "

So mystery solved....

Michael-
Wow, that makes quite a big difference doesn't it.
I received one for my PM9 to replace after the 1200 shots recommended maintenance, I wonder if mine has the right length?.

Bawanna
05-18-2010, 09:07 AM

So mystery solved....

Michael-

Sooo, this involves removing the retaining flange that you shot off the first time which should never come off (yeah right) and cutting the spring and reinstalling the flange which if I'm not mistaken will be no easy feat in itself? Along with a large quantity of RED locktite and make a weld job? I don't think I like that much.

wyntrout
05-18-2010, 09:35 AM
I think Ian was talking about the outer spring. It looks like it's about two coils longer. I wouldn't want to mess with that inner one! I just looked at the inner one on the right... it's different... more coils to the inch. Are the guides the same length?? Inner and outer barrel-looking part?

Unrelated note: running the house on the generator... generator seems better. The UPSs I can hear have settled down. There was quite a cacophony! I'll run it for half an hour until the Gumout has had a chance to work on the carburetor.

Wynn:D

Bawanna
05-18-2010, 09:47 AM
I think Ian was talking about the outer spring. It looks like it's about two coils longer. I wouldn't want to mess with that inner one! I just looked at the inner one on the right... it's different... more coils to the inch. Are the guides the same length?? Inner and outer barrel-looking part?

Unrelated note: running the house on the generator... generator seems better. The UPSs I can hear have settled down. There was quite a cacophony! I'll run it for half an hour until the Gumout has had a chance to work on the carburetor.

Wynn:D

I think your right now that I ponder that a bit. The out spring rides over that flange. I suspect that inner spring would be a real wrestling match trying to get back together. When/If I replace mine I think I'll try it just for the challenge.