PDA

View Full Version : Hey Texans, we love your State

AIRret
12-06-2013, 03:41 PM
We are traveling in a fifth wheel (which is why I haven't been on the forum as much lately) and have been enjoying your State and your amazing history.
I've always respected you folks but your history has added to it!!
Here are a couple of posts from my trip journal (I'm saving it for my old age,
I figure if I keep writing in it I'm not old yet);
11/23/13 Today we visited the "Texas Civil War Museum" located on the outskirts of Fort Worth. The Museum was well organized and staffed with friendly knowledgeable people. It's also the largest Civil War Museum west of the Mississippi.
I've read at least 9 books about the civil war and watched everything I could on PBS and the history channel, and yet I was unaware of Texas's significant role in the war. I thought that they contributed some troops and that was about it. Slavery wasn't a big issue for Texas but "States" rights were huge! They didn't want the Federal Government telling them
what to do. When this country was formed the individual States were to be powerful and the Federal government was to be a loose organization for the common good, well we all know that didn't last! Because of this mindset, Texas joined the Confederacy. The vote to secede from the United States was over welming, and yet the governor of TX disagreed, which then lead to his resignation from office (first name ? last name Houston).
Texans' fought in all the major battles out East (often under Gen. John Bell Hood) but they also fought off several invasions of their State. The Battles at Galveston were the most successful for the North and even there the North only held the city a few months.
The North also tried to invade by sea several times but were always fought off. One Southern commander even attached very large bales of cotton all over his ship to blunt the cannon fire from the Yankees, and it worked!
The Museum had many artifacts from the war and continually compared the equipment each side had. When it came to manufacturing and raw materials the South was sorely lacking which contributed greatly to their defeat. It was not uncommon for the North to have 4 times the number of rifles, canons, or even war ships. The North also had more men of fighting age available, which was true even before the North started using all Black regiments.
The Texans are fiercely proud of their Southern Military traditions. It was almost a little uncomfortable talking to an older Texan historian about the war…..I was very conscious of my Northern roots. He was kind but also wanted us to know that the South had nothing to apologize for and he believed that Texans could beat anybody in a fair fight and most people in an unfair fight…. It's interesting that recently I've read that there is a disproportionately large number of Texans in the US military's Special Forces.
After the war Texas was broke like the rest of the South, but their cities, farms, and ranches were not destroyed the way the South East was, so they had an advantage over the East. Soon, Confederates from the East began to flock to Texas for the land and a chance to work in the cattle industry. This was so common that people would often leave notes and signs saying; "Gone to Texas" or simply "GTT".

11/29/13 Today we went to the Texas Ranger Museum in downtown Waco. We really enjoyed it, but it would have helped if the entire museum was organized chronologically.
Instead, they had six separated galleries that were sponsored ( $ ) by different individuals and groups. Some of the items were from private collections or from the TX government.
Each gallery was chronological, but that happened 6 times, i.e.. you started over when you walked to the next gallery. Anyway, that made it a little confusing, but we still enjoyed it.
Heck, we got there at 10:30am skipped lunch and didn't leave until 3:30pm.
Besides the galleries, they had a film about the TX Rangers which was very interesting. Originally the Rangers were intended to protect the settlers from Indian raids (the Camanchies
seemed to cause the most trouble, but hey wouldn't you cause trouble if someone was taking your land), and eventually from cattle rustlers. Early on they really were at a disadvantage when fighting the Indians. The rangers had to provide their own horses, weapons, and ammunition and the early firearms only shot one round before they needed reloading. So the Indians would draw the Rangers fire and then attack them while they were reloading. The Indians could shoot 10 arrows to the Rangers one round…….! It's a wonder the Ranger lasted long enough to even the odds. In response, the Rangers modified their fighting techniques, first one group would fire while another reloaded and so on, then they began fighting more like Indians, they would essentially use guerrilla warfare techniques. Soon repeating revolvers became available, and really changed the balance of power.
Next, during the Mexican war (I think that was 1846 or 1848) the Rangers became scouts and trackers for the regular army and during these fights they gained a fierce reputation as fighters, so much so that the Mexicans had a term for them that when translated was "devil soldiers or devil fighters".
Over time the Rangers role slowly evolved into more law enforcement. They are very respected and extremely good at getting the job done. But there were times when their numbers grew too fast and some questionable characters became Rangers, which lead to all kinds of trouble (criminal behavior). Around the turn of the century they decided to clean up their act, which meant shirts and ties (instead of looking like mountain men), clean shaven and formal training. This didn't eliminate all the bumps in the road but it was an improvement. Most of those bumps could be described as use of inappropriate force……they got the job done at all cost!
Because of their skills they have been called in on all kinds of famous/difficult cases. For instance they were directly instrumental it the capture and death of Bonnie and Clyde Barrow.
I hadn't realized that the Bonnie and Clyde's gang were responsible for 9 police men and 2 civilian deaths. Not too many things anger a lawman more than a cop killer. Several of the Texas Rangers actually came out of retirement to work the case.
Another significant part of the museum was the firearms, which of corse we enjoyed immensely. Some of the early revolvers weighed 5 lbs, these actually were in holsters attached to the horses saddle. I guess the main thing that surprised us about the firearms were how ornate many of them were. The engraving was over the top, many of the grips were made out of ivory and had things (small badges, precious stones, initials …) inlaid into them. Other grips were made out of stag horns, or sterling silver. I guess other than the old west I always though of cop guns as being high quality and functional, not ornate and pretty. Even the holsters were something to behold. Most of the handguns were revolvers or 1911's.
When examining the 1911's we were surprised at how thick the grips were. The stock grips on a 1911 (even the originals) were only half as thick as these ornate grips were. Today
most shooters like something thinner, unless they have HUGE hands.
The Texas Rangers have a mystique about them….they are respected, have a high code of ethics (for many years now), and they get the job done. Therefore, we were impressed that the museum presented their entire history, not just the positive parts.
Please feel free to correct anything that I have wrong or mixed up. I hate history if it's wrong.
Thanks,
And God Bless Texas

laserfish
12-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks much. Hope you continue to have a good time. Texans are known for their pride, unfortunately, there are many from CA, IL, NY and such moving down here and then they complain and start trying to make it like the place they came from. Us natives do not take to kindly to that. Have a great time, there are many historic sites here.

AIRret
12-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Ahmen!!!
Don't you hate it when liberals move in to good God fearing States!!
I'm sure you folks can handle things.
As a retired AF person I have seen a bit of San Antonio (which is great) but we are also looking forward to seeing more, more, more.
What a PROUD tradition!

mr surveyor
12-06-2013, 06:27 PM
If you swing South a bit more to Fredericksburg you can see one heck of a nice WWII museum ... The Nimitz Museum (Admiral Nimitz's family settled in the old German settlement of Fredericksburg in the 1800's). It's a two day event if you really try to soak it all up. Also in the George H.W. Bush WWII museum ... all types of Pacific theater hardware. And just down the street a block or two on the South side of the highway is the Fredericksburg Brewery (a micro brew with a great restraunt). Since it's cold out, the yuppie crowd from Austin shouldn't be clogging the streets.

AIRret
12-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Hey Mr. Surveyor, we did get to the Pacific Theater Museum. and this is what I wrote in my travel journal;…. please correct me if I have anything wrong/mixed up.
By the way we LOVED it.

12/3/13 Drove back to Fredericksburg using the new route and it was even more scenic and shorter, than yesterday. We saw a lot more farms and less developed areas.
We finished going through the Pacific War Museum today. Wow, it was very well done and the information presented was mind boggling… information overload!
I'll try to just hit the highlights. Prior to WWII Japan had invaded China (classic book "The Rape of Nanking"), they were interested in China's raw materials. The United States Politics of the time was one of isolationism so they took no military action but they did cut off oil and other materials going to Japan. Of course this angered the Japanese and eventually led to the Pearl Harbor attack. Japan felt that with a surprise attack of this harbor that they could cripple the US Navy and therefore be able once more to receive the oil and other raw materials essential not only for their war machine but also for their economy. Japan did cripple the Navy, but not for long. The US immediately went to war and the entire country was placed on war footing; by this I mean, they increased the draft quotas (with tensions in Europe and the Pacific the US had already begun to draft men…this was the first peace time draft in history, but after Pearl the numbers went way up). Almost all manufacturing became war oriented, for instance you couldn't buy new tires because the military needed them, all available metal was used to build ships and tanks (etc.). On the home front food and gasoline (can't run an army/navy without fuel for bodies and machines) was rationed and civilians were asked to grow "victory gardens" (to ease their own requirements) so more food would be available for the troops and refuges. All this ramping up, all these sacrifices led to a phenomenally quick recovery from Pearl Harbor and the ability to also fight on another front (Europe). Towards the end of the War the US was manufacturing one new ship EVERY day!!!!!!!
Just before WWII the US reduced the size of their forces to roughly 225,000, they didn't want to fight anyone else's war like they did (in their opinion, and I'm not sure because I don't know enough about WWI to have an opinion) in WWI. In other words they became isolationist. However, because of our manufacturing ability, raw materials and the fairly simple technology of the 30's and 40's they were able to get away with these low numbers and still be fully ready to fight in two theaters within six months. With today's technology and our reduced manufacturing ability that would never happen.
I bought the Museums companion magazine because I would never be able to put/cover everything we saw in this journal. Now I'm just going to copy a few quotes that I found interesting;
"The Arizona (aircraft carrier) was hit by 8 bombs (Early during the Pearl H. attack). One of these bombs penetrated a powder magazine that caused a massive explosion. The Arizona burned for 2 days. More that 1,100 sailors lost their lives (most were trapped when it went down)."

"Fear and distrust abounded in the US as aliens and citizens of Japanese ancestry were sent to internment camps under the authority of the Relocation Authority. While surrounded by barbed wire, these loyal citizens still recited the Pledge of Allegiance daily." By the way, later in the War Japanese Americans were allowed to serve in the Military (over 94% went to the European Theater) and they had one of the best records of any regular unit. They must have been out to prove something.
Many Japanese WWII Vets served in our Government after the War.

"The Bataan Death March." (When the Japanese capture the Philippine islands they marched the American POW to Bataan for internment) "They'd halt us intentionally in front of these wells so we could see the water and they wouldn't let us have any. Anyone who would make a break for water would be shot or bayoneted." The Japanese were notoriously rough on their POW's. They believed it was dishonorable to surrender, you must fight to the death, it was the samari code of conduct that the nation adopted.
When Japan finally surrendered there were a number of Japanese soldiers on various islands who refused to believe that their Nation would surrender. In fact from 1970 to 1974 there were three Japanese who finally decided to surrendered their arms. Most of these hold outs lived in caves on the islands.

The Doolittle Raid. "To boost American morale, President Roosevelt wanted to strike the Japanese homeland. Lt. Colonel James H. Doolittle, a pilot and aeronautical engineer was selected to lead the attack. On 18 April 1942, sixteen B-25's took off from the USS Hornet. Despite fifteen of the sixteen bombers being lost, seventy-one of the eighty pilots and crewman survived (including Doolittle). The Doolittle Raid's success is not measured in physical damage to its Japanese targets; (but) the raid's psychological impact on both Japan and the United States was extraordinary."

Some other battles to check out; Midway,Guadalcanal, part of the Solomon islands (the Japanese soldiers called it starvation island), Battle of Buna, New Guinea, the Marshall and Mariana Islands, and Iwo Jima which was the only island we took where we had more casualties than the Japanese (The famous flag raising by the Marines occurred here), and Okinawa.

An aside, Japanese "children were taught to admire the military and were assigned to work in the war industries instead of attending school beyond the sixth grade."

"The contribution made by submarine service ultimately helped to bring about a much swifter and victorious conclusion to the war with Japan. This chapter of the naval conflict did not, however, come without its share of tragic losses. The submarines fleet consisted of 250 subs by 1944, of which 52 would be lost, 48 of them were in the Pacific Theater.

The Atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima on Aug 6, 1945 and on Nagasaki on Aug 9th and finally the war ended.

There are a couple of reasons I'm posting this; one is because of my respect for TX and it's history and the other is that if anyone comes to visit this great State they might find a few places to include on their trip.

AIRret
12-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Here is another story/truth that I love from the Pacific Theater;

I LOVE THIS STORY!!! "On 16 August 1945, General MacArthur issued General Order No. 1 ordering Japanese military to disclose the location of all their Prisoner of War camps. POWs had suffered brutality and malnutrition. They also faced beatings in retaliation for Allied bombing raid and were transported on crammed cargo ship named "Hell Ships" by survivors. The harsh treatment of POWs led to significant charges against Japanese military commanders during war crimes trials.
Prior to their capture on Mindanao in 1942, POWs Paul Spain, Joe Victoria, and Eddie Lindros removed the stars from the U.S. flag. They had been ordered to burn the flag so it would not be captured. The 48 stars were hidden and remained with the men for 42 months, through multiple POW camps, and a Hell Ship. Just before their liberation, the soldiers reassembled the flag with parachute material and their safeguarded 48 stars, using a rusty nail and an old sewing machine." It was SOOOOO cool to see the actual flag at the museum!

mr surveyor
12-06-2013, 08:09 PM
perfect. I'm glad you made it to Fredericksburg. I suppose they still have the Japanese mini-sub in the outside display. The outside monument walls were pretty sobering to me too.

In 1995, mrs surv convinced me to take a weekend to make the 5 hour drive down there, with the promise of the Fredericksburg Brewery. That encounter in the summer of '95, and their summer Wheat Ale, was what got me started on home brewing. We made many trips down there over the course of the next 15 years until the traffic and yuppie crowds were just too much to endure during the normal "tourist season". We have made several trips during December and January that were very pleasant. There is a lot to see in that part of the country other than just the tourist trap stuff.

If y'all plan to swing through East/Northeast Texas, let me know. Mrs surv and I would love to meet you.

JD

Jeremiah/Az
12-06-2013, 09:31 PM
We had a Japanese internment camp here in Phoenix during the war. I worked removing the power lines from there as a young man years later.

muggsy
12-07-2013, 06:07 AM
The thing that I liked the most about Texas, aside from the Bar-b-cue and beer was that I could hit a golf ball three hundred yards. One hundred yards in the air and two hundred yards of roll. The other thing I liked was the people. I never felt like I wasn't welcome their. I'd move to Texas in a heartbeat, but my wife is a young thing and cannot leave her mother. :)

garyb
12-07-2013, 06:26 AM
It's good to have a young thing Muggsy!

AIRret
12-07-2013, 06:38 AM
perfect. I'm glad you made it to Fredericksburg. I suppose they still have the Japanese mini-sub in the outside display. The outside monument walls were pretty sobering to me too.

In 1995, mrs surv convinced me to take a weekend to make the 5 hour drive down there, with the promise of the Fredericksburg Brewery. That encounter in the summer of '95, and their summer Wheat Ale, was what got me started on home brewing. We made many trips down there over the course of the next 15 years until the traffic and yuppie crowds were just too much to endure during the normal "tourist season". We have made several trips during December and January that were very pleasant. There is a lot to see in that part of the country other than just the tourist trap stuff.

If y'all plan to swing through East/Northeast Texas, let me know. Mrs surv and I would love to meet you.

JD

Yes, I'm glad we were there in the off season, and I think we ate at the "Auslander", the food was great and the beer was cold!

If our travels take us back to the Northeast we would love to look you folks up!

AIRret
12-07-2013, 06:45 AM
The thing that I liked the most about Texas, aside from the Bar-b-cue and beer was that I could hit a golf ball three hundred yards. One hundred yards in the air and two hundred yards of roll. The other thing I liked was the people. I never felt like I wasn't welcome their. I'd move to Texas in a heartbeat, but my wife is a young thing and cannot leave her mother. :)

My folks spent a couple of winters in Tx and my Dad said the same thing about the golf. And you are absolutely right, Texans really know how to make you feel welcome!

TheTman
12-07-2013, 10:20 AM
On the way back North, if you get a chance, visit the Woolaroc museum south of Bartlesville OK. It's Frank Phillips (Phillips 66) old hunting lodge that has been turned into a museum. They have a very impressive collection of firearms. About every version of the 1911 and some of it's predecessors are on display, along with a large number of assorted firearms. I think there is a large display of Winchester lever action rifles.
I've never seen so many 1911's in one place before, that was very impressive. It's kind of a small museum, and only takes a couple of hours to go through, or you can spend as much time drooling over the various displays as you want. I would have liked to stayed longer, but the wife and kids were getting bored and whining about wanting to go somewhere else.

AIRret
12-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks TheTman, we'll keep that on our radar, it sounds like our kind of place!

We are blessed to be traveling the South West in our 5 th wheel. We hope to be home in
May so maybe we will hit that place on the way back.

jdlott74
12-11-2013, 07:30 PM
You must have been traveling down 35? Gotta love our state, I'm from NC originally, met jlottmc (TEXAS born and bred) while he was in the military and we moved here when his enlistment was up. We are in Dallas/Ft. Worth, more toward the OK border (an hr or so from us), than toward Ft. Worth where you were now. Love living in TX, LOTS of history and we are a GUN FRIENDLY state. Hence the revolver Gov. Perry had made after him and for the most part it's surprising to find a house that DOESN'T have a gun in it. Hope you had a chance to make it down toward San Antonio/Fredericksburg and lots of other cool historical places rich in history for TX.

CarlCyrus
12-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Just came back from visiting El Paso, TX and my son who returned from a tour in Afghanistan. Oh boy that part of the state is desolate.

Earlier in the year we visited our daughter-in-law (married to the son in El Paso) as she attended the U.S. Army Nurse course in San Antonio. Now that is one nice city. I could retire there in a heart-beat.

Carl

phil413tx
12-11-2013, 10:18 PM
I am glad you made it to Texas! You really did your homework and picked some great areas to visit. I have lived here all my life. You are all welcome to come visit! We love to show off our state. We are just slightly proud of it. ;). God Bless Texas!

TheTman
12-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Most of my memories of Texas are from visiting my brother while he was stationed at Ft. Hood a couple of times. That is some desolate country down in those parts.
That and a few visits to a church camp in one of the offshoots of the Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo. That canyon is really something to see.

tx_native
12-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks much. Hope you continue to have a good time. Texans are known for their pride, unfortunately, there are many from CA, IL, NY and such moving down here and then they complain and start trying to make it like the place they came from. Us natives do not take to kindly to that. Have a great time, there are many historic sites here.

fortunately the californians and yankees are sticking to dallas and austin.

tx_native
12-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Just came back from visiting El Paso, TX and my son who returned from a tour in Afghanistan. Oh boy that part of the state is desolate.

Earlier in the year we visited our daughter-in-law (married to the son in El Paso) as she attended the U.S. Army Nurse course in San Antonio. Now that is one nice city. I could retire there in a heart-beat.

Carl

el paso sure must have changed in the past 10 years. at one point was the car theft capital in the US, not to mention drug cartels. good for el paso.

AIRret
12-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Tomorrow we will be visiting NASA, can't wait!

jdlott74
12-12-2013, 07:31 PM

We have a guy and his wife that moved here from Detroit because he got a job with Dallas PD.

Armybrat
12-13-2013, 11:33 AM

We moved out of Austin to the west side of Round Rock just in time (1995). Still have an Austin mailing address even though we are in an unincorporated area of Williamson County. :mad:

My next door neighbor is from California, but he's a gun guy.

01svtL
12-13-2013, 12:17 PM
If you're visiting NASA, I believe there is also a cool war museum over in Deer Park. Civil War related. I've lived here for over 20 years and just found out about it a couple of weeks ago.

AIRret
12-13-2013, 03:07 PM
We went to the Civil War Museum in Dallas Fort Worth, is the Deer Park Museum a different one?
My Geography isn't that good when it involves the smaller towns or the metro areas where one city bleeds into another.

01svtL
12-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Deer Park is in southeast Houston.

AIRret
12-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Deer Park is in southeast Houston.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. The Civil War really fascinates me, I've been reading about it (and watching the history channel, PBS etc.) since the late 80's

Armybrat
12-14-2013, 10:57 AM
The Bullock Museum is the State of Texas museum - just a few blocks north of the State Capitol in Austin. The Capitol and its large underground extension itself is worthy of a visit.

http://www.thestoryoftexas.com/

http://www.tspb.state.tx.us/SPB/Plan/Plan.htm