PDA

View Full Version : Drawing from conceald

Harrylee
12-07-2013, 07:40 PM
OK just to stir things up a little how many practice drawing from concealed carry. I feel this a important thing to do if you carry a gun then you need to know how to pull it out. I practice all the time, if I can’t have it pointed and fired in less than 2 seconds then I feel I have failed. The times we live in mandate that we are prepared. And not to practice this skill is a failure on our part. Just split a order with my buddy and got some Laserlyte plinking cans a little pricey but what you can learn is unpriceable, I set the cans on my work bench stand back around 12 feet and draw with my laser trainer in the gun. And sometimes I can hit, it’s a small target I want to see a least 95% and to get to that mark I will need a lot more practice . That’s my thought on this, be aware and all ways think!!

xsailer
12-07-2013, 08:02 PM
I would like to practice draw and fire but the local range doesn't not allow draw or rapid fire. Trying to find a place in the country the is allowed by the land owner is really questionable and unlikely. Would like to be able to do it though. Of course I continue to practice around the house. Of course it's unloaded.

JohnR
12-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Laserlyte in my office, I draw from concealed all day long. Light switch, coat rack, door knob, all good targets.

olympicmotorcars
12-07-2013, 09:52 PM
I try to practice at least 10 times every evening.

JimC
12-08-2013, 05:01 AM
Coming from an LE background and a firearms instructor, drawing from concealed or at least from the holster with an off-duty weapon has come to be the only way I practice, it's the only way that I know.

Anyone can stand in front of a target and fire X amount of rounds from a static position and hit the target...I hope anyway.

Now that I'm retired (nearly 17 years) I qualify under LEOSA (HR218), I'm still required to draw from a holster firing the COF.

The only way I practice with a carry gun is from the holster.

This is the main reason that I am opposed to pocket carry, along with others.

No one alive using pocket carry could possibly qualify given the times allowed under any LE COF, not to mention a real life situation.

Back in the day, officers were required to qualify with their OD gun and drawing from whatever holster they carried it in. Those who used an ankle holster always had a difficult time and some did not make the times and did not qualify, they could NOT carry the gun.

There were a lot of ankle holsters for sale. ;)

"Train as you fight, you will fight as you train"

RRP
12-08-2013, 05:34 AM
Excellent post, JimC, and good contribution to the thread. Do you have any info on, or a link to the COF you use?

garyb
12-08-2013, 05:47 AM
I practice all the time. Part of IDPA. As an aside, everyone can practice draw dry fire. Laser helps.

JimC
12-08-2013, 05:56 AM
Excellent post, JimC, and good contribution to the thread. Do you have any info on, or a link to the COF you use?

This is one that I practice with and I qualify here in FL over the state mandated COF that is available online.

CQB Practice COF

Target(s): 2 FBI “Q” Type – cardboard or paper spaced 3’ apart edge to edge.

Distance(s): 3, 5, 7 and 10 yds.

Times: No set time limit but fired at a practical pace. Begin at a slower pace and progress from there to a faster pace.

Rounds: 60

3 yds. – Draw and fire two rds. each target center mass and then one rd. to each head.
Repeat for a total of 12 rds.

5 yds. – Draw and fire two rds. each target center mass and then one rd. to each head.
Repeat starting 90 degrees to the right.
Repeat starting 90 degrees to the left.
Total 18 rds.

7 yds. – Same as the 5 yd. string.

10 yds. - Draw and fire two rds. each target center mass and then one rd. to each head.
Repeat for a total of 12 rds.

The 3 yd. and 5 yd. lines are fired w/o actually using the pistols sights. You are just looking over the pistol at the target and firing as you would in an actual CQB scenario.

JimC
12-08-2013, 05:57 AM

If I were you, I wouldn't say that too often. There are those here who would disagree with you. ;)

JimC
12-08-2013, 06:00 AM
I practice all the time. Part of IDPA. As an aside, everyone can practice draw dry fire. Laser helps.

IMO, a laser sight is all but useless for normal CQB distances. Highly over rated but useful in some situations on some firearms.

Many shooters spend more time trying to keep the laser from bouncing around on the target then they do actually shooting.

RRP
12-08-2013, 06:00 AM
Good info, JimC. I like a COF that uses multiple threats. I may shoot this course, today.

JimC
12-08-2013, 06:01 AM
Good info, JimC. I like a COF that uses multiple threats. I may shoot this course, today.

Have fun...:)

Harrylee
12-08-2013, 06:40 AM
That's why I like the the laserlyte cartridge for training it only goes on for about a second when the trigger is pulled simulating a shot fire. Still not live fire but helps the muscle memory and reflexes. This is not saying we will ever need to draw our firearm and also saying the trigger must be pulled but a good skill to have

7shot
12-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Coming from an LE background and a firearms instructor, drawing from concealed or at least from the holster with an off-duty weapon has come to be the only way I practice, it's the only way that I know.

Anyone can stand in front of a target and fire X amount of rounds from a static position and hit the target...I hope anyway.

Now that I'm retired (nearly 17 years) I qualify under LEOSA (HR218), I'm still required to draw from a holster firing the COF.

The only way I practice with a carry gun is from the holster.

This is the main reason that I am opposed to pocket carry, along with others.

No one alive using pocket carry could possibly qualify given the times allowed under any LE COF, not to mention a real life situation.

Back in the day, officers were required to qualify with their OD gun and drawing from whatever holster they carried it in. Those who used an ankle holster always had a difficult time and some did not make the times and did not qualify, they could NOT carry the gun.

There were a lot of ankle holsters for sale. ;)

"Train as you fight, you will fight as you train"

+1 on this! Only wish I could practice like this more, right now I only get to when taking a defensive pistol class, which is currently twice a year..We do have an outdoor range about 45min away that allows drawing and firing, gonna have to hit this place to get more practice in.

ParabellumJ
12-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Every time I shoot I bring my carry gun and practice drawing from concealment. I load two rounds each in two magazines. At 7 yds I draw, double tap, reload, double tap. After 5 sets of this I work on drawing and firing a NSR. That breaks me of always firing two shots. Between range visits I try to work on draw and dry fire as much as possible. I also try to take one or two defensive pistol classes a year, or a carbine class that integrates pistol.

yqtszhj
12-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Good topic Harry Lee. I do it regular when dry firing.

I used to have a crimson trace on a .380 I carried and I could pull and pocket fire from a pocket in about 2 seconds and see where the laser stopped. Now if I have my CM9 in my pocket it's a bit more testing to make it in 2 seconds but if I have the CM9 or CW45 IWB about 2 seconds is all it takes.

garyb
12-09-2013, 06:11 AM
IMO, a laser sight is all but useless for normal CQB distances. Highly over rated but useful in some situations on some firearms.

Many shooters spend more time trying to keep the laser from bouncing around on the target then they do actually shooting.

"But useful in some situations on some firearms." Agreed. That's why I have one. Also useful for dry fire practice and practice drawing from conceal...which is what this thread is about. Most understand there are situations where a CTL is useless. But as long as there are situations where it is useful, I will have one on my CCW. The shooters that spend time trying to keep the laser from bouncing, quickly learn from the laser how to stop the bouncing via dry fire practice. It becomes immediately obvious as soon as you put the laser on. It is a great tool to correct that issue. Then when they are at the range, be it competition or casual shooting, they spend their time on doing the actual shooting. The laser is useless to me on the range in bright light. I find it most useful when the light is very low and for very close ranges for point and shoot (without the need for sights). But don't listen to me because I am not an expert.....Watch Crimson's videos and see what the real experts have to say. JMO.

muggsy
12-09-2013, 07:25 AM
Every day 3 sets of 10 reps in front of the mirror practicing my scowl. :) I got the lookin' mean and ugly part down to a science. :)

JimC
12-09-2013, 07:29 AM
"But useful in some situations on some firearms." Agreed. That's why I have one. Also useful for dry fire practice and practice drawing from conceal...which is what this thread is about. Most understand there are situations where a CTL is useless. But as long as there are situations where it is useful, I will have one on my CCW. The shooters that spend time trying to keep the laser from bouncing, quickly learn from the laser how to stop the bouncing via dry fire practice. It becomes immediately obvious as soon as you put the laser on. It is a great tool to correct that issue. Then when they are at the range, be it competition or casual shooting, they spend their time on doing the actual shooting. The laser is useless to me on the range in bright light. I find it most useful when the light is very low and for very close ranges for point and shoot (without the need for sights). But don't listen to me because I am not an expert.....Watch Crimson's videos and see what the real experts have to say. JMO.

As long as it floats your boat, there you have it. ;)

Bill K
12-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Yes! I believe that clear, draw, point (yes, I said point) are perhaps the most important things for a CC holder to practice. Nice thing is it can be done without live ammo though for a semi you're not going to simulate double taps, etc. Most of my "shooting" is actually done with gas blowback Airsoft guns. I've got both a Airsoft G26 and a XDM compact .45 with which to practice.

I have my own backyard range but rarely practice clear, draw, point and shoot with live fire. The few times I do it is done very slowly with just myself doing the shooting.

Wish I could add an Airsoft Kahr PM9 to my G26 and XDM collection.

Ps. Big fan of pocket carry then AIWB. I believe all carry positions, holster types, etc. have their pros and cons, pluses and minuses.

Armybrat
12-09-2013, 02:14 PM
I haven't missed this target yet...

http://static.uglyhedgehog.com/upload/2013/11/27/1385590611020-4164790514_d689bf8318_z_1_.jpg