PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Springs Completely Unrelated to Guns Question

RevRay
12-14-2013, 04:35 PM
For anyone who might be interested, I would be curious with your feedback on the eBay link below. I'd be curious to know what you think of the listing, etc., etc. If a remodeled Morris Minor is not your thing, then I don't need you to simply tell me that; but I could use some feedback before I make any final decisions.

AND, if anyone lives in the Colorado Springs area, and you would be willing to look the actual vehicle over, that would be fantastic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-2-Door-Morris-Minor-Leather-/261349761033

muggsy
12-14-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm more the Mini Cooper type. That's why I drive a Grand Marquis. :)

deadeye
12-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Hey, Rev. I've got a skate board with a chainsaw engine on it I'll make you a great deal on! Just joking. Looks pretty slick. Upgraded drive train makes it very worthwhile to look into depending on the workmanship. I've done that kind of work all my life and have seen some real butcher jobs. Would sure look it over before bidding.

ltxi
12-14-2013, 05:37 PM
For anyone who might be interested, I would be curious with your feedback on the eBay link below. I'd be curious to know what you think of the listing, etc., etc. If a remodeled Morris Minor is not your thing, then I don't need you to simply tell me that; but I could use some feedback before I make any final decisions.

AND, if anyone lives in the Colorado Springs area, and you would be willing to look the actual vehicle over, that would be fantastic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-2-Door-Morris-Minor-Leather-/261349761033

I love Morris Minors, along with old Anglias and such. I'd never thought of them as street rod material, but this look interesting.

I gotta say, though.....considering the extent of the mods I wouldn't buy this without some sort of hands on checkout unless you're willing write the whole thing off as a loss if it all goes south.

I live on the southeast edge of Denver metro and would be willing to run down to the 'Springs for a quick, educated check but I couldn't do that before mid day Tuesday.

RevRay
12-14-2013, 08:07 PM
I love Morris Minors, along with old Anglias and such. I'd never thought of them as street rod material, but this look interesting.

I gotta say, though.....considering the extent of the mods I wouldn't buy this without some sort of hands on checkout unless you're willing write the whole thing off as a loss if it all goes south.

I live on the southeast edge of Denver metro and would be willing to run down to the 'Springs for a quick, educated check but I couldn't do that before mid day Tuesday.

It hasn't hit the reserve yet ... so if it doesn't sell , I might take you up on the offer.

olympicmotorcars
12-14-2013, 08:52 PM
RevRay:

I make a living buying and selling cars on the internet. The first advice I would offer is definitely get someone who knows what they are doing to inspect if for you. A few pictures over the internet can not convey the condition of the car. There are too many things to count that may not show up in pictures.

The second thing is , resto-mods values are hard to determine. You are basically buying a one-of-a-kind vehicle. It is basically worth whatever you think it is worth to you.

Another thing to think about is if it ever needs any kind of service or parts where will you take it? If you are mechanically inclined you might work on it yourself, but might have trouble just taking it to someone else .

Also, (at least in this area of the country ) sales are really slow right now, so it is a buyers market.

Have you contacted the seller and asked how he wants to be paid? will he require a cashiers check? or will a certified check be sufficient? Can you just send some ernest money and then pay in full when you actually take delivery of the vehicle?

Are you going to have it transported or will you go yourself and drive it back?

These are just a few thing you may want to consider, I certainly do not know everything about buying cars but hopefully this helps a little.

Good Luck Rev.

knkali
12-14-2013, 08:56 PM
RevRay:

I make a living buying and selling cars on the internet. The first advice I would offer is definitely get someone who knows what they are doing to inspect if for you. A few pictures over the internet can not convey the condition of the car. There are too many things to count that may not show up in pictures.

The second thing is , resto-mods values are hard to determine. You are basically buying a one-of-a-kind vehicle. It is basically worth whatever you think it is worth to you.

Another thing to think about is if it ever needs any kind of service or parts where will you take it? If you are mechanically inclined you might work on it yourself, but might have trouble just taking it to someone else .

Also, (at least in this area of the country ) sales are really slow right now, so it is a buyers market.

Have you contacted the seller and asked how he wants to be paid? will he require a cashiers check? or will a certified check be sufficient? Can you just send some ernest money and then pay in full when you actually take delivery of the vehicle?

Are you going to have it transported or will you go yourself and drive it back?

These are just a few thing you may want to consider, I certainly do not know everything about buying cars but hopefully this helps a little.

Good Luck Rev.

great post

wyntrout
12-14-2013, 10:07 PM
No air... seriously... consider that!

Wynn:D

RevRay
12-15-2013, 05:35 AM
Thanks guys ... great feedback ... just what I needed. I'll keep you posted.

jeepster09
12-15-2013, 08:12 AM
I wouldn't worry about having AC. Looks nice in pictures and should be a fun car. Like we all know pictures can be deceiving. Like you already know, get someone to look at before buying. Cars that are sold on e-bay tend to worry me. Makes me wonder why he couldn't sell locally?

b4uqzme
12-15-2013, 08:59 AM
I wouldn't worry about having AC. Looks nice in pictures and should be a fun car. Like we all know pictures can be deceiving. Like you already know, get someone to look at before buying. Cars that are sold on e-bay tend to worry me. Makes me wonder why he couldn't sell locally?

A car like that needs a special buyer so the internet makes sense...advertise to as broad an area as possible looking for that right buyer.

This one appears a little riskier than most internet car buys. It's one thing to buy a late model, stock vehicle but this one has been pieced together. It could be a really neat build or it could be a nightmare. Some sort of inspection seems mandatory. As well as some way to protect your money until you are confident all is good. Some research on the seller would be advised.

I'm too chicken myself but...nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck.

b4uqzme
12-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Oh, and 16.5 inch wheels? What's up with that?

b4uqzme
12-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Patiot motors is not registered with the BBB. Doesn't mean they are bad...just doesn't confirm they are good.

http://www.bbb.org/southern-colorado/accredited-business-directory/auto-dealers-new-cars/colorado-springs-co

yqtszhj
12-15-2013, 10:42 AM
No air... seriously... consider that!

Wynn:D

Rev lives in CT. Does the heater work :D

My 17 year old daughter wants a 79 Camaro. I told her when she can get a job and buy it and gasoline for a 10MPG car.

Ikeo74
12-15-2013, 12:27 PM
I don't see any seat belts in the pictures, rear view mirrors are on the front fenders. For $10,000 you could be looking at some KIA's or a much more modern car. Probably doesn't have a catalitic converter exhust. Emmisssion control may not meet requirements in your location.

Now, how are you planning to use this car if you buy it? Looks like it's good for parade driving instead of everyday use. It's not a good kid's car either.

I would pass on it. Reserve price may be out of sight too.

No: power windows, power locks, AC, seat belts (?), 42 years old, but it looks cute though.

A little old lady could drive it to Church on Sundays too. (your wife) :D

jeepster09
12-15-2013, 02:13 PM
I don't see any seat belts in the pictures, rear view mirrors are on the front fenders. For $10,000 you could be looking at some KIA's or a much more modern car. Probably doesn't have a catalitic converter exhust. Emmisssion control may not meet requirements in your location.

Now, how are you planning to use this car if you buy it? Looks like it's good for parade driving instead of everyday use. It's not a good kid's car either.

I would pass on it. Reserve price may be out of sight too.

No: power windows, power locks, AC, seat belts (?), 42 years old, but it looks cute though.

A little old lady could drive it to Church on Sundays too. (your wife) :D

It's a collector car....a toy...I think it would be a blast to have. Don't need no stinking power options....it ain't an everyday transportation car! :cool:

Bawanna
12-15-2013, 02:41 PM
It's a collector car....a toy...I think it would be a blast to have. Don't need no stinking power options....it ain't an everyday transportation car! :cool:

I agree. Nice to be able to roll up the windows in a rain storm when your power everything quits on ya.

I don't trust anything that runs on a battery. Total faith in my hands and arms.

Being it's age it's probably not required to meet emission standards and seat belts would not be required either.

It's a nice toy, if I could move my legs and work a clutch I'd have a desire for it myself.

Armybrat
12-15-2013, 03:38 PM
One of my neighbors back in the '70s had a restored '50s Morris Minor he used for a daily driver. Neat little car.

I was an MG guy myself - had a 1960 MGA roadster in college fifty years ago, then during my mid-life crisis bought a low miles (35,000) pristine '74 MGB from a good friend in 1990. Sold it to a collector from Dallas in 2000 after putting 4,000 more miles on it:

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/ScoPro/GregoryBirthday2011037.jpg

ltxi
12-16-2013, 05:08 PM
It hasn't hit the reserve yet ... so if it doesn't sell , I might take you up on the offer.

Didn't make the reserve I see. I'd still be happy to run down there and take a look at it for if you choose to pursue it.

Don't claim to be an expert, but I'm an old car guy who's done a few restos and mods in the past.