PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 96 inox

berettabone
01-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Sometimes, when you own more than one firearm...........certain one's get ignored or not used as much as you'd like. Took my 96 out the other day, and shot 150 rds. Reminded me of why I purchased it in the first place. Great shooter, smooth operation, feeds anything and I mean anything. Not much of a fan of their other products, but IMHO, the 92/96 series is and has been one of the top firearms to own. Had an 86 Cheetah FS, but believable or not, my MK is more accurate for me, so the 84 had to go by the wayside. Would love a Billenium, but a bit pricey for me. Any other owners out there?

Bawanna
01-02-2014, 04:19 PM
I watched over 40 92's and 40 96's here at the dept before they switched to 45 Glocks. I never had any major issues at all with them. I still have a 92 from when we switched to 40's that I purchased for myself.

I don't get it out too often but I like it pretty much.

I went to Beretta Armorer School. That was very interesting. There are so many springs and detents in these things. The instructors rule was look for 2 minutes, if you couldn't find the spring or part go to his magic box and get a new one.

When I got back to my room and out of my chair I found half a dozen springs I was sitting on or hanging on my bags etc. It was great fun.

I even got beaned by a recoil spring, one of my own guys sitting clear across the class room in the head. I think he a done it on purpose.

BEARDOG
01-02-2014, 04:39 PM
I watched over 40 92's and 40 96's here at the dept before they switched to 45 Glocks. I never had any major issues at all with them. I still have a 92 from when we switched to 40's that I purchased for myself.

I don't get it out too often but I like it pretty much.

I went to Beretta Armorer School. That was very interesting. There are so many springs and detents in these things. The instructors rule was look for 2 minutes, if you couldn't find the spring or part go to his magic box and get a new one.

When I got back to my room and out of my chair I found half a dozen springs I was sitting on or hanging on my bags etc. It was great fun.

I even got beaned by a recoil spring, one of my own guys sitting clear across the class room in the head. I think he a done it on purpose.

Hey B, did you see many/any trigger spring failures in the 92's?
First pistol I ever bought was my 92F when I turned 21 yrs old. I've put 1-2 thousand rds through it with no failures what so ever. I did replace the recoil spring and also put in a "D" hammer spring not to long ago. But I was reading the other day about the trigger springs being a weak point? Guess I should have ordered one of them too??? What say you?

downtownv
01-02-2014, 05:11 PM
I know the PA State troopers went with them about 12 years ago, but I don't know what they use today.....

Bawanna
01-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Hey B, did you see many/any trigger spring failures in the 92's?
First pistol I ever bought was my 92F when I turned 21 yrs old. I've put 1-2 thousand rds through it with no failures what so ever. I did replace the recoil spring and also put in a "D" hammer spring not to long ago. But I was reading the other day about the trigger springs being a weak point? Guess I should have ordered one of them too??? What say you?

The only deal with the trigger spring is not knowing what it is and how easy it is to knock out. They don't fail. But take the grips off and go to brushing in a solvent tank and you can unknowingly knock it out. When this happens if your very lucky you get one shot, then the trigger bar falls down as designed and you have a paper weight.
I had one officer go to a range session or qual and he got one shot. Discovered the trigger bar spring gone. He was lucky he was only on duty for a couple weeks with a paper weight. This is also a very good reason to function check thoroughly whenever you disassemble a gun.
At a previous Beretta school class I think it was in the mid west, same instructor where they did actual shooting and not just working on the gun, at the end of the class they all cleaned their guns in a solvent tank.
Instructor said there was one straggler (says theres always one) that was more meticulous and still there after everyone had left.
He came to the instructor with something out of the tank and asked what it was. It was a trigger bar spring of course and they found 11 of them. Many had come from out of state and he spent all night calling every single guy in the class to confirm their springs were intact. Several actually came back.

With the grips on the spring is safe and you can't hurt it. It's actually very similar to a Kahr trigger spring but much easier to knock out but easier to install also.

If you need a trigger bar spring I think I still have a few I can send you a couple anytime.

BEARDOG
01-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Thanks much B!
Then it don't sound like it is an issue. (I think the guys I was reading saying such was ex-military so who knows how beat those guns were) I will just be aware if I get to poking around in there. I don't clean it in a tank with a brush, but I do have to take off the CTC grips to change out the batteries in them, so I will just be extra careful. Thanks for the offer I will keep it in mind.

Bawanna
01-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Yeah I have a stash so if anybody needs one, just send up a smoke and I'll head em in the right direction.
I should probably look for them before that statement but I know they are here, I'll find them.

berettabone
01-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Thanks much B!
Then it don't sound like it is an issue. (I think the guys I was reading saying such was ex-military so who knows how beat those guns were) I will just be aware if I get to poking around in there. I don't clean it in a tank with a brush, but I do have to take off the CTC grips to change out the batteries in them, so I will just be extra careful. Thanks for the offer I will keep it in mind.
Just for your own info....................Beretta tested the M9 in front of Army brass, and the average reliability was 17,500 rds. before malfunction. One test of 12 M9's had 168,000 rds. fired before malfunction. 2/3 of M9's tested at Beretta went 5000 rds. before any malfunction. Slide life average was 35,000 rds., then testing stopped. Frames averaged 30,000 rds. before testing stopped. Locking block average was 22,000 rds. They definitely have to be and continue to be one of the most reliable firearms on the planet. The only problem I have ever heard about, was a frame cracking issue with .40 cal. I think that this was very few and far between, and I do not know what kind of loads they were using.http://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

yqtszhj
01-02-2014, 06:51 PM
I thought about selling my 92 INOX one time just to pay for something I bought. Ended up I kept it and ate the expense of the new purchase (I cant even remember what it was.) I'm glad it didn't sell.

CJB
01-02-2014, 06:54 PM
a few catastrophic slide failures in the beginning spawned the little groove on the starboard rail along with a little orb shaped wedge device similarly on the starboard side, that prevents the slide from coming off when it fails and hitting the shooter right in the bullseye

Bawanna
01-02-2014, 07:07 PM
a few catastrophic slide failures in the beginning spawned the little groove on the starboard rail along with a little orb shaped wedge device similarly on the starboard side, that prevents the slide from coming off when it fails and hitting the shooter right in the bullseye

I asked specifically about that in class as we had some early the 92F's and more of the latter 92FS's.

The instructor said it clearly was no fault of the gun. The military was basically trying to make the 9 into a 40. I wanted to get rid of the 92F's we had for safety and not take chances.
The instructor who was very good and had been doing it a long time and in fact is still doing it today far as I know said not to worry.

The frame cracking issue was a little blip, not too many involved. They found the cure was to cut notch near the striker, firing pin.

Part of our routine was to hold the slide in finger tips and smack it with a hammer or screwdriver. If it rang like a bell it was good to go. If not look for the crack. Never seen one with a crack.

jeepster09
01-02-2014, 07:29 PM
I have a 96a1 and installed the d-spring conversion base on Wolf Springs recomendation.

WOLFF TRIGGER CONVERSION UNIT

This product was developed at the request of the then INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service), which was largest federal law enforcement agency in the country, to solve the problem of trigger spring breakage in their duty weapons. After more than a year of development and tens of thousands of rounds of punishing testing by INS and Wolff Gunsprings, we are pleased top make this available to everyone. This product is a must for law enforcement as well as the serious shooter.
This coil spring trigger return unit requires no modifications at all to the pistol other than the removal of the factory trigger spring. The main benefit of this unit is the elimination of trigger spring breakage. Additional features include smoother trigger pulls and improved staging. This units make an already fine pistol even better!
The components are custom manufactured for Wolff Gunsprings to exacting standards. The coil spring of course is manufactured by us to our normal high standards. The cam and pin are coated with Robar's NP3® finish for improved lubricity. Each unit is then hand assembled and inspected before delivery.
We are offering three variations of the unit. The INS unit which is essentially equivalent to factory strength. A reduced power unit for lighter pulls and an extra power unit for faster, crisper returns. This is the product you have been waiting for to enhance your Beretta 92 or 96 series pistol.

PLEASE NOTE:
Will not function in Beretta 92A1 or any model 92/96 pistols with polymer triggers.

berettabone
01-03-2014, 11:36 AM
I have never found the need or necessity to change the springs in any Beretta firearm I have owned. I always thought that the trigger was fine. Not everyone's cup of tea. Never had a malfunction with any I have owned.