PDA

View Full Version : Gun Lubrication

muggsy
01-03-2014, 08:01 AM
This is a link to a you tube video on gun lubrication. What this gentleman tells you is gospel. My father who was a gunsmith and custom stock maker taught the same things very early on and they have served me well for a lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQuNgXqWPEo

Harrylee
01-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Good information muggsy thanks for sharing and your dad was a gunsmith too very cool

340pd
01-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Great video. Thanks

cigarrodog
01-03-2014, 11:14 AM
This was eye-opening. I also watched his lecture on gun cleaning. I agree with one of the comments made. "They don't make make a lot of men like this any more." Thank you.

muggsy
01-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Good information muggsy thanks for sharing and your dad was a gunsmith too very cool

I learned a lot from my dad. He did a lot of pistol smithing and started building custom sporting rifles right after WWII. I have three rifles that he built for me that I would never part with. Two are built on Mauser Mark X actions and one was built on a Sako action. In addition to being my father he was my best friend. We hunted and fished together for many years.

berettabone
01-03-2014, 11:34 AM
My father was also a part time gun smith for many years. He made big game hunting rifles from scratch, and some of the hand checkering was unbelievable.

getsome
01-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Very good info there Muggs, thanks for posting that....

garyb
01-03-2014, 01:44 PM
STP? Never heard of using nor not using it. Interesting discussion on that alone.
Guy makes a lot of sense. I clean after every outing....obviously a good move. I probably over lubricate...slightly. I will be more conscious of that. Not to create a disturbance, but this honestly left me curious as to why the recoil spring assembly's are wearing on Kahrs, yet I don't see it on mine and I feel it is because I am applying grease. I also don't see it on my M&P's. The Kahr and M&P Pro get shot a lot. Just something that the video left me thinking about....and again I'm honestly not trying to create s stir about it.
Thanks for posting this Muggsy. Good vid. Informative and it will change my lube step by lightening up a bit (but will continue to grease some parts like the recoil spring assembly). Thanks.

Alfonse
01-03-2014, 03:52 PM
I am Alfonse, and I probably over lubricate. But, since I clean them so often, they never build up any gunk.

I remember the old days, when I was a kid living in humid Houston, we used to rub our guns down with RIG to keep them from rusting. It worked. Decades later one of those guns had what looked like hard wax where that rig used to be.

But, that RIG buildup came right off with a regular cleaning and some solvent.

Great info.

muggsy
01-03-2014, 04:10 PM
I am Alfonse, and I probably over lubricate. But, since I clean them so often, they never build up any gunk.

I remember the old days, when I was a kid living in humid Houston, we used to rub our guns down with RIG to keep them from rusting. It worked. Decades later one of those guns had what looked like hard wax where that rig used to be.

But, that RIG buildup came right off with a regular cleaning and some solvent.

Great info.

RIG is a great product for long term storage. I apply it to my shotguns and rifles when the hunting season ends.

muggsy
01-03-2014, 04:21 PM
STP? Never heard of using nor not using it. Interesting discussion on that alone.
Guy makes a lot of sense. I clean after every outing....obviously a good move. I probably over lubricate...slightly. I will be more conscious of that. Not to create a disturbance, but this honestly left me curious as to why the recoil spring assembly's are wearing on Kahrs, yet I don't see it on mine and I feel it is because I am applying grease. I also don't see it on my M&P's. The Kahr and M&P Pro get shot a lot. Just something that the video left me thinking about....and again I'm honestly not trying to create s stir about it.
Thanks for posting this Muggsy. Good vid. Informative and it will change my lube step by lightening up a bit (but will continue to grease some parts like the recoil spring assembly). Thanks.

Grease is nothing but oil with a thickening agent. I'm sure that you are like me and clean your guns after every use. Old habits die hard. Like the man said, grease attracts dust and dust is an abrasive. Valve grinding compound is grease with an abrasive added. I think that you would be ahead of the game if you just put a drop or two of oil on a patch to lube the RSA. But, it's your gun, so proceed as you will.

Alfonse
01-03-2014, 05:13 PM
RIG is a great product for long term storage. I apply it to my shotguns and rifles when the hunting season ends.

I live in the desert now, no humidity to speak of and little dust. I wipe down with a very light Eezox and do the rails now.

I don't see RIG in the gun shops like I did when I was a kid.

muggsy
01-03-2014, 06:55 PM
It's available from Brownell's.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/rust-prevention/rig-universal-grease-12oz--sku167400458-31842-61039.aspx

CJB
01-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Gun lube.... ? Vagisil. Don't knock it till you tried it.

phil413tx
01-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Very good video! I guess I am guilty of over lubricating as well. That habit will change. I am a big time cleaner though. If my gun gets fired, even one round, it is cleaned. I find cleaning my guns relaxing and therapeutic.

This video was eye-opening and he makes a lot of sense.

garyb
01-04-2014, 05:55 AM
Grease is nothing but oil with a thickening agent. I'm sure that you are like me and clean your guns after every use. Old habits die hard. Like the man said, grease attracts dust and dust is an abrasive. Valve grinding compound is grease with an abrasive added. I think that you would be ahead of the game if you just put a drop or two of oil on a patch to lube the RSA. But, it's your gun, so proceed as you will.

Probably correct on light oil on the RSA. But I guess it probably does not matter a whole lot, because I DO clean every one of my firearms after every range or hunting trip...any time they are fired. Always have and never have any problems.

After watching this vid it makes me chuckle. Two of my buds brag that they leave their glocks uncleaned for the entire year and both of them shoot quite a bit. Once guy brags that he had not cleaned his Glock for a couple of years. Glocks may be very reliable even when dirty, but I don't see where they gain anything leaving their guns dirty. May not hurt them...but maybe it does. Just thought I'd mention it. Good thread Muggsy.

muggsy
01-04-2014, 06:25 AM
Gun lube.... ? Vagisil. Don't knock it till you tried it.

My father, the gunsmith, highly recommended Maiden Oil as a lubricant for your rod. :) (That recommendation may have been a bit over the line.)

berettabone
01-04-2014, 01:53 PM
I personally like Rem oil.....goes where I need it to go, you don't need a lot, and it doesn't break the bank..................

340pd
01-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Ever look at a Sig lubrication guide? Basically it says "dip me in grease and shoot me"

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/908103701/p/1

downtownv
01-04-2014, 04:24 PM
My father, the gunsmith, highly recommended Maiden Oil as a lubricant for your rod. :) (That recommendation may have been a bit over the line.)

Try Astro glide for your rod...

got2hav1
01-04-2014, 05:09 PM

I agree, I use to wipe down all my guns in the safe. Good stuff!:D

Alfonse
01-04-2014, 06:39 PM
It's available from Brownell's.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/rust-prevention/rig-universal-grease-12oz--sku167400458-31842-61039.aspx

I've seen it there. Where I live now there is so little humidity nothing rusts.

40 years ago I remember it being on the shelves of sporting goods stores and department stores that used to sell guns. It is great. The guns we had back then still don't have any rust. You could practically hear your car rusting where I lived back then.

I just don't think RIG is as popular as it once was.

yqtszhj
01-04-2014, 08:05 PM
I used to read a lot on a rimfire forum where they were seriously in agreement with his gun cleaning video. Basically run a patch with solvent down the barrel to clean it out but don't use harsh chemicals and brushes every time if you want to maintain single hole accuracy with your expensive rifle.

muggsy
01-06-2014, 04:03 PM
I've seen it there. Where I live now there is so little humidity nothing rusts.

40 years ago I remember it being on the shelves of sporting goods stores and department stores that used to sell guns. It is great. The guns we had back then still don't have any rust. You could practically hear your car rusting where I lived back then.

I just don't think RIG is as popular as it once was.

You might try protecting your guns with a good coat of paste wax like Simonize. Wax isn't hygroscopic. It repels moisture.

T0RMENT
01-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Anything wrong with plain ol' Rem Oil?

getsome
01-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Not a thing wrong with good ole Rem oil....It is a little thin and if you use it to wipe the exterior it will collect dust but thats all...Anything is better than nothing and it's not so much what you use as THAT you use it....

I really love Max Film synthetic spray lube and protectant from the folks that make Royal Purple high performance motor oil...The stuff goes on wet and penetrates into every surface then dries to leave a slick protective film....I use it on all my guns and anywhere you would use a penetrating spray lube...
Read about it here: http://www.protectparts.com/

I buy it at O'Reilly auto parts but you can buy it on line....Try some, You'll like it...

jocko
01-10-2014, 02:23 PM
what getsome says is good advice, even if it comes from someone like him.Justsayin