PDA

View Full Version : My sights are off!

bhp
05-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Before anyone tries to tell me that it's my fault; and that I'm flinching/gripping the gun wrong:

This is a brand new MK40, and I've got exactly 250 rounds through it, and I've been very pleased with the accuracy so far. However, the sight picture right now leaves something to be desired. The rear sight is a little bit off center, more specifically, it's in my left hand. That's right, the rear sight fell off the gun. it will still go in from the right side of slide, but not the left, which I assume means the dovetail is tapered.

How do I deal with something like this? I know I could send it back to Kahr, but if it's something that could be dealt with by a drop of loctite I'd much rather do that. I should also say that pushing the sight back in from the right I can get it about dead center by hand.

P.S. Otherwise the gun has been flawless.

Bawanna
05-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Assuming it slides right in from the right and I believe the dovetail is tapered heres what I've normally done. I put the sight in a vise with the base up. Support it as best you can to protect the sight. I then take a pointed punch and put about 5 or 6 good divots in the base. Your actually moving metal, making tiny little mounds to fill that dovetail. Then I take a steel punch and with the slide in a vise well padded and solid as you can get it I hit the edges of the dovetail front and back just a bit again tightening up that dovetail. Then try putting the rear sight in. It usually doesn't take much and I focus more on the divots on the sight than the dovetail. Worst case scenario then is you need a new sight, ruin the dovetail and it's not good but it's also not rocket science either. If for some reason it's sloppy loose then the sight or the dovetail is just wrong and the fellas at Kahr should have a shot at it. Ive never heard of a sight falling out of a Kahr, they're usually tighter than a whores heart, I mean TIGHT. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

jocko
05-19-2010, 06:13 PM
that is a nice fix bawanna, one that I have used in the past on other guns just a slight hit on the slides dovetails usually tightens it up enough. Also one could call kahr and ask for a new rear sight and normally it willrequire slittle fitting and it just might indeed go in tight enough without any mods period.

I would not send the gun back as it is fixable at home.. BUT if one must, just send the slide back and u can do that through regular mail for about $5 and get it back in a week also..

Internet Blohard
05-19-2010, 07:56 PM
I know that the punch trick will work....it has long been used to tighten up the miter gauge of a table saw in the miter slot.

But, you know, you paid a lot for your brand new gun and it is probably the fault of the factory that you are where you are. I would send the slide back. The factory needs the feedback concerning this kind of inattention to detail.....because, if you don't, I will have the same problem when I buy mine....and that just won't do.

Bawanna
05-19-2010, 08:26 PM
A valid point there and like Jocko mentioned something like this should be a pretty quick turn around. Be a good opportunity to upgrade sights too if you felt the need. Kind of hard parting with them even for a short time but they should make it right.

jlottmc
05-20-2010, 03:14 PM
I've used that fix when my 1911 rear sight go loose, and on several other weapons. It works well. I've also lined the sight and put a center mark on the sight and the front part of the dovetail, at the same time. That works well too. I agree in letting Kahr have some feed back on that though.

bhp
06-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Just to follow up what happened with the sight: I tried using a dab of loctite but the fit just wasn't tight enough and it started coming loose again fairly quickly. I sent the slide in to Kahr and it got back to me in less than a week with what looks like a new sight in it. This one seems way more solid, so I think I'm good to go now.

rglbegl
06-02-2010, 03:50 PM
^^
Nice.
Sounds like some decent customer service over there are Kahr