PDA

View Full Version : Fine Tuning Your Scale

Harrylee
01-07-2014, 01:12 PM
A scale is a scale, well let’s think about that. I see scales from 100grain to 500 grain so at that what I weigh out for my hand gun is usually around 5 grain. So if we put this in to perspective, that is like saying lets weigh 4.9 pounds on a 500 pound scale. I don’t think that would be a accurate measure on any count. But by doing a little work you can make your scale more accurate, a scales most accurate metering point is in the half way of the scale (500 scale=250 mid point ) that is where it the most accurate. I have done this to all my scales I have zeroed at half the weight of the scale so if we have a 500 grain scale I add weight to make it zero at 250 that put the scale right In the middle giving a more a accurate number. This should be plausible even with electronic scale add weight and zero. To some this doesn’t make a huge difference but to me I want to be able to know that what I put in a case is the right grain count at the lighter numbers. Now 505 Ohaus and the Dillon actually Ohaus also have the same pan base, you will see a screw on the top by loosening that screw you be able to lift the top apart don’t take the screw all the way out it makes it a real pain in the neck. Then take a piece of paper put a fold in it this is your funnel I kept adding #9 shot to it until I got it to hit the half way point. Now for the LEE scale for a inexpensive scale that works great that goes from 0 to 100 gr. A lot better scale ratio but I did the same with that added weight to the stem. For that I got a piece of brass tube clamped the hook part in a small vise then took my soldering put heat to the brass and added solder to the top of the tube

garyb
01-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Good point HarryLee. The 1010 scale has a 250gr weight that makes it a 1000gr scale....1st photo. You can test your 1010 by zeroing the scale.... Then weighing the 250 gr weight. The scale should remain zero.....last photo. If all is leveled properly. It is that simple. Pretty much the same thing you are saying HarryLee. Just thought I'd add a tidbit. Carry on.

muggsy
01-11-2014, 01:34 PM
As long as you zero the scale before each use there is no need to be concerned. A balance scale is a balance scale and most are accurate to a 1/10 of a grain regardless of capacity. Not many people who reload hand weigh each charge and in accuracy testing a difference of as much as a half grain is of little significance. Unless you are into bull barreled bench rest rifles that shoot sub 1/4 minute of angle groups, I wouldn't be concerned. When working up to maximum pressure loads it always pays to be extra careful.

garyb
01-12-2014, 06:14 AM
As long as you zero the scale before each use there is no need to be concerned. A balance scale is a balance scale and most are accurate to a 1/10 of a grain regardless of capacity. Not many people who reload hand weigh each charge and in accuracy testing a difference of as much as a half grain is of little significance. Unless you are into bull barreled bench rest rifles that shoot sub 1/4 minute of angle groups, I wouldn't be concerned. When working up to maximum pressure loads it always pays to be extra careful.

I agree.

Tilos
02-25-2014, 07:58 PM
Damn it, sorry I'm late to this party, thanks for that info HarryLee.
Just having a scale at eye level is a big improvement to accuracy for most reloaders today.
I tape the scale to the shelf so it stays where it was when I zeroed it, and put a box over it when I'm not using it.

And something else I always do for those small pistol charges is throw 10 charges into a BIG case and weigh it rather than a single charge.
So for 4.5 gr of powder, I'll set the scale for 45gr and weigh 10 charges.
So I'm really looking at an average and adjust the measure until I get it.
Ken