PDA

View Full Version : New CM9 going back to Kahr!

crazyjz
01-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Well, after lurking around this forum for about a month, I decided to bite the bullet and make a purchase I had been thinking about for some time. I bought a Kahr CM9. I figured I had at least a 50/50 shot at getting one of the ones that had no problems. Haaah!

With one day old CM9 in hand, I began the break in procedure. The good news is that my CM9 only had 4 or 5 failures during the approx. 100 rds fired. All of them best described as premature slide-lock. A quick press of the slide lock lever and we were back in business. (My fingers were not anywhere near the slide lock lever.)

After contemplating this issue, I mentally prepared myself to do "the fix" myself for this problem. (I told you that I had been a lurker here and was aware of this potential problem and it's fix.)

The other issue is that somewhere in the slightly less than 100 rds I fired, I broke both mag followers. I didn't notice them until my shooting session was over and I was cleaning the gun and mags. It did not affect the function of the gun and I had no failures other than those previously mentioned.

Well, I was prepared to do "the fix" for the slide lock issue but when I noticed the broken followers I decided to call Kahr Customer Service and get a couple of new followers sent to me. If those broke then I was either going to attempt to shave a bit of metal off the feed ramp or send the gun back. The matter was taken out of my hands.

Upon reaching Kahr Customer Service by phone, the rep asked me a few questions and without so much as a howdy-do, told me I had to send my gun back to the factory for repairs. Bummer!

Additionally, I was informed that their repair techs are running about three weeks behind. So with shipping and the repair, I have to go at least a month without my gun. I explained that I would have thought that there would be some quicker recourse for a customer with a one day old gun that clearly suffers from factory defects. Nope!

Point being, this is my first Kahr, my hundred and forty fifth handgun. I have never had to send a gun back to Sig, Colt, Glock, Remington, the list goes on and on.

The fact that they let these handguns out of the factory knowing that they may likely have these problems is disturbing. Their rendition of customer service dealing with these factory defects is even more disturbing!

When my gun comes back and it works perfectly, I will likely keep it because it truly does feel like a quality piece. I doubt I will ever buy another though!

Mi_Shooter
01-15-2014, 01:08 PM
I feel your pain. I bought mine on 1/4/14 (Saturday) and was sent back for repair on 1/6/14 (Monday). Also told approx 3 weeks. But from what I hear from a few other forums is they are pretty fast with the turn around. I've been told anywhere from 10 days to 2 weeks. I'm hoping to get it back fast. I hate spending money and not having my new gun in my hands. But I'm confident they will take good care of it.

jocko
01-15-2014, 02:58 PM
Well, after lurking around this forum for about a month, I decided to bite the bullet and make a purchase I had been thinking about for some time. I bought a Kahr CM9. I figured I had at least a 50/50 shot at getting one of the ones that had no problems. Haaah!

With one day old CM9 in hand, I began the break in procedure. The good news is that my CM9 only had 4 or 5 failures during the approx. 100 rds fired. All of them best described as premature slide-lock. A quick press of the slide lock lever and we were back in business. (My fingers were not anywhere near the slide lock lever.)

After contemplating this issue, I mentally prepared myself to do "the fix" myself for this problem. (I told you that I had been a lurker here and was aware of this potential problem and it's fix.)

The other issue is that somewhere in the slightly less than 100 rds I fired, I broke both mag followers. I didn't notice them until my shooting session was over and I was cleaning the gun and mags. It did not affect the function of the gun and I had no failures other than those previously mentioned.

Well, I was prepared to do "the fix" for the slide lock issue but when I noticed the broken followers I decided to call Kahr Customer Service and get a couple of new followers sent to me. If those broke then I was either going to attempt to shave a bit of metal off the feed ramp or send the gun back. The matter was taken out of my hands.

Upon reaching Kahr Customer Service by phone, the rep asked me a few questions and without so much as a howdy-do, told me I had to send my gun back to the factory for repairs. Bummer!

Additionally, I was informed that their repair techs are running about three weeks behind. So with shipping and the repair, I have to go at least a month without my gun. I explained that I would have thought that there would be some quicker recourse for a customer with a one day old gun that clearly suffers from factory defects. Nope!

Point being, this is my first Kahr, my hundred and forty fifth handgun. I have never had to send a gun back to Sig, Colt, Glock, Remington, the list goes on and on.

The fact that they let these handguns out of the factory knowing that they may likely have these problems is disturbing. Their rendition of customer service dealing with these factory defects is even more disturbing!

When my gun comes back and it works perfectly, I will likely keep it because it truly does feel like a quality piece. I doubt I will ever buy another though!

send u a prepaid pick up on uyr gun. They should have. I had issue with my Glock and as u know they never give issues. So lets not just throw kahr to the side as the only gun that gives issues. U got one that is not right thgey will make it right. It would not go well with u if they said turnb around time was a week and then it turns out toe be a month. My bet is willget back quicker than u think..:behindsofa:

muggsy
01-15-2014, 03:42 PM
The service department did get a little backed up due the the holidays. They are in the process of getting caught up. Good things come to those who wait.

jocko
01-15-2014, 03:46 PM
the weather is a factor . I got "backed" up when I seen Gertie froze in the snow and could not get out to help her

crazyjz
01-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Yeah, ok. I understand that I may very well end up with a very nice handgun once I send it back to the factory to be rebuilt. Ok, Yugo's would have survived if we sent all of them back to be rebuilt.

Don't even talk to me about Glocks. Has there ever been a Glock built that was not perfect? Of course. My department issues Glocks. We are on our third generation of issued Glocks. I personally have owned more than a dozen. I have several friends who have each owned two or three. Those are the only ones I can speak of with regard to personal experience. None of those have ever been sent back to the factory.

I have owned one Kahr and it did not make it a day. Ok, enough said.

I have already said that I think the gun is well made and once it makes it back to me after the factory fixes the problems it left the factory with, I will quite likely keep it. It would not have bought it if I didn't want it.

I appreciate the readers tongue in cheek humor; made me laugh. Hope Gertie made it through!

For all you Kahr lovers out there with two or three million trouble free rounds through their guns--awesome. I hope someday I can join you!

jocko
01-15-2014, 05:25 PM
Yeah, ok. I understand that I may very well end up with a very nice handgun once I send it back to the factory to be rebuilt. Ok, Yugo's would have survived if we sent all of them back to be rebuilt.

Don't even talk to me about Glocks. Has there ever been a Glock built that was not perfect? Of course. My department issues Glocks. We are on our third generation of issued Glocks. I personally have owned more than a dozen. I have several friends who have each owned two or three. Those are the only ones I can speak of with regard to personal experience. None of those have ever been sent back to the factory.

I have owned one Kahr and it did not make it a day. Ok, enough said.

I have already said that I think the gun is well made and once it makes it back to me after the factory fixes the problems it left the factory with, I will quite likely keep it. It would not have bought it if I didn't want it.

I appreciate the readers tongue in cheek humor; made me laugh. Hope Gertie made it through!

For all you Kahr lovers out there with two or three million trouble free rounds through their guns--awesome. I hope someday I can join you!

I love my G19, but lets not brag to much on glocks. I have said before that our state of Indiana a few years back bought 1200 G22 for the state boys, and had so many issues that glaock stepped in and replaced them with G17 which up until this year they had no issues, but now the Indiana boys are carrying Sig 45. So it is what it is, u might have had zero issues and most do but glocks are not perrfect and this total loss of their product to the state of Indiana was a real blow to Gock to. I am not a sig fan, but they are a good gun, evidently the state felt so to..Just sayin.

Gertie is dead, frozen like a well diggers d!ck.:behindsofa:

codegeek
01-15-2014, 05:26 PM
The CM9 is totally worth the effort!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

crazyjz
01-15-2014, 05:52 PM
No machine is perfect. There are a couple of clocks and such that the space engineers have put together that should last a thousand years or so but other than that, it's a crapshoot!

I'm not going to kick this dead horse anymore. Other than the makers of a couple of my favorite 1911's, I don't have any sort of affinity for any one manufacturer.

I think for me personally, the Sig 226 is the most ergonomically correct handgun in the world. I have been known to liken it to one of my most favorite anatomical parts on a woman. Just feels right in the hand if you know what I mean.

I am a 60 year old police officer who has loved guns and shooting for over 40 years. I have purchased houses, cars, motorcycles and guns; lot's of guns in those forty years. During those years I dealt with lots of different companies, their products and their different ideas of customer service. Some good, some great and some, not so much.

I've been around long enough to call a spade a spade. Some of the spades don't always like it, but I can't be bothered by thin skin. I call em like I see em.

If my comments reach one of the many persons out there who want a quality handgun but don't want to run the rather high risk of having to send it back to the factory to be rebuilt, then I did what I intended to do.

PS--Sorry about Gertie, may she rest in peace. (We are talking about an animal here right?)

oppi27
01-15-2014, 06:11 PM
If the glock 42 was a 9mm I would never had ended up with the CM9. That being said mine wasn't the greatest till after break in. After break in it has been my EDC. I even carry it more than my glock 19. Which I have fired thousands of rounds through, with just one stove pipe. And that was my first attempt at reloading. Mined a great gun, buy if it wasn't , it would have been gone and I wouldn't have looked back. To many gun companies out there now a days.

muggsy
01-16-2014, 06:26 AM
the weather is a factor . I got "backed" up when I seen Gertie froze in the snow and could not get out to help her

You were born backed up. That's why yer eyes are brown ya old fart. :)

crazyjz
01-16-2014, 12:49 PM
I have to say, the CM9 has only been gone for a day and I am already missing that trigger pull.

As I often do, I stepped outside today, went to my outdoor range with a few of my mouse guns to perforate beer cans. Those cans need holes in em and I like to put them there!

After about thirty or forty rounds through a couple J-frames and a couple small Glocks, I realized that their triggers were simply not as nice as the Kahr!

Makes me feel better a little bit better about the wisdom in making the CM9 purchase!