PDA

View Full Version : Yet another PM9 first range report

BroncoAZ
05-22-2010, 01:02 AM
I put the requisite 200 rounds of ball ammo through the new PM9 this evening. I had one issue around round 185 where the slide lock engaged with 4 rounds left in the mag. I was getting fatigued by that point and may have limp wristed it or something (I haven't searched on here for the reason yet). I fed it 10 rounds each of +p Magtech 115 gr JHP and Speer 124 gr gold dots, both fed fine. I was shooting at 7 yards at fairly rapid pace, I was only at the range for 30 minutes and fired 245 rounds. The first pic below of rounds 50-70. This was my best group. The second pic is the first 20 rounds I ever shot from a PM9. Not bad for the first three magazines.

I was surprised how light the recoil was in the little piece. The gun is more accurate than I am at this point. I have been shooting maybe 20% of what I was before ammo got scarce and expensive. I picked up a Galco pocket holster so I have something for it. This probably won't be a permanent solution, but I wanted to have something to protect the finish until I figure out the long term solution.

I took out the new to me P9, it worked fine. The guy I purchased it from said that it had been back to Kahr for trigger work. The trigger was definately smoother and lighter than the new PM9, maybe shorter too. I put 25 rounds through it. The recoil spring also felt pretty weak, I'll probably order a replacement for it.

jocko
05-22-2010, 06:59 AM
you possably could have even hit the slide lock lever accidently causing the premature slide locking open. It is common. Your PM9 sure sounds good to go. Nice groups to. actually the P9 you shot and the pM9 have exactly the same internals in them and the trigger pull is exactly the same length 3/8". the smoothness could quite possable be that a few more rounds has been fired out of the P9 and it has smooted up somewhat. Your PM9 willget the same way with more rounds. Indeed if u feel the P9 needs new recoil springs, order them from kahr. No one else makes replacements for the P9 yet.. Read your manual on your new kahr and even better go to the kahr tech section and hit on the PROPPER PREPPING OF YOUR NEW KAHR. It will help also.

BroncoAZ
05-22-2010, 02:23 PM
I had done most of the prep outlined in the thread listed, except for spraying out the firing pin channel with solvent. I was going to put some rounds through it and then disassemble for cleaning like I would on a Glock. I'll take it out again sometime next week, but at this point I am comfortable carrying it. After shooting it I took it home and cleaned it. I noticed a bit of wear on the left rear slide rail, like the rail and polymer was a bit high when manufactured and it wore down. There is now a ledge a couple thousandths high in the center of the rear steel insert. I'm not concerned at this point, but I'll keep an eye on it and make sure it was just initial break in. I will take some close up photos to document the wear if it needs to be repaired later.

As for the P9 trigger being different, the guy I purchase it from said that it had been sent to Kahr "for trigger work to make the pull less gritty and shorten the action". He said he had just purchased a K40 and had sent it in for the same treatment. He's an avid shooter and I have no reason the doubt, but I'm not sure if Kahr offers that service. If there is a shortcut to making my PM9 trigger the same I would consider it, otherwise I am pleased with it as is.

I've read in other threads about prople replacing the recoil spring at 1200 rounds because that was the recommended interval. That seems like a very short interval for a premium pistol. Are there any other parts that should be kept on hand while I'm placing an order?

jocko
05-22-2010, 06:43 PM
No need to replace the entire recoil assembly, just replace that outter spring as see a need. I also agree 1200 rounds is IMO kinda ealryt o be replacing springs,but once again they are not expensive and it sure won't hurt anything either..

predestyned
05-25-2010, 10:11 AM
nice groups

(looking for my previously posted range pics for deletion):D

cgo99
05-25-2010, 04:11 PM
nice groups

(looking for my previously posted range pics for deletion):D
You are not kidding. I'm kind of glad now that I never got around to post mine :bump2:.

BroncoAZ
05-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the complements on the groups. I thought they were ok for my first time out with the PM9. I'm hoping they will get smaller.