PDA

View Full Version : is this appropriate?

downtownv
01-22-2014, 02:28 AM
http://www.pennlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/01/pro-gun_billboard_harrisburg.html#incart_more_business
Corrected....

Planedude
01-22-2014, 07:54 PM
"Page not found" soooooo, I'm guessing... No?

Longitude Zero
01-22-2014, 08:28 PM
Better link please.

downtownv
01-23-2014, 02:22 AM
Fixed it!

muggsy
01-23-2014, 04:43 AM
I don't see anything wrong with the ad and voted accordingly.

b4uqzme
01-23-2014, 04:53 AM
96.15% in favor of the ad when I voted --- out of over 1100 votes.

ripley16
01-23-2014, 04:59 AM
It's a bit confusing or confused. Apple pie and baseball are not "rights" 2A is a right. Perhaps equating the AR to a library card (speech) or a church building (religion) or better yet a voting ballot, brings the message home more so than passing enjoyments.

Do we pay for our library card permit?
Are there restrictions on religions?
Can some state prohibit your voting?

downtownv
01-23-2014, 06:12 AM
It's a bit confusing or confused. Apple pie and baseball are not "rights" 2A is a right. Perhaps equating the AR to a library card (speech) or a church building (religion) or better yet a voting ballot, brings the message home more so than passing enjoyments.

Do we pay for our library card permit?
Are there restrictions on religions?
Can some state prohibit your voting?

I think it was about "all American" Things....

JohnR
01-23-2014, 06:22 AM
Cultural icons. I voted yes, appropriate.

garyb
01-23-2014, 06:50 AM
Of course it is. Insensitive only to anti's. Screw them. It's an ad...freedom of speech.

JohnR
01-23-2014, 07:19 AM
Ads for Obamacare and food stamps are offensive to me. Also billboards for ambulance chasing lawyers. But I don't try to get them banned.

SlowBurn
01-23-2014, 08:42 AM
Ads for Obamacare and food stamps are offensive to me. Also billboards for ambulance chasing lawyers. But I don't try to get them banned.

+1. Those ads VIOLATE your 1st A rights by making you pay (through involuntary taxation) to advocate for something you're actually against. By contrast, there's nothing wrong or offensive with the billboard. It's simply saying that guns are as American as baseball and apple pie. The fact that others may disagree with someone's statement (or in this case, simply wish it were not true when they know it is) does not make it offensive or insensitive.

Note the false alternatives presented by the poll:The billboard is either 1) offensive and should be banned or 2) offensive but unfortunately protected by the First Amendment. No option 3) not offensive at all or 4) I agree with the billboard.

downtownv
01-23-2014, 02:58 PM
+1. Those ads VIOLATE your 1st A rights by making you pay (through involuntary taxation) to advocate for something you're actually against. By contrast, there's nothing wrong or offensive with the billboard. It's simply saying that guns are as American as baseball and apple pie. The fact that others may disagree with someone's statement (or in this case, simply wish it were not true when they know it is) does not make it offensive or insensitive.

Note the false alternatives presented by the poll:The billboard is either 1) offensive and should be banned or 2) offensive but unfortunately protected by the First Amendment. No option 3) not offensive at all or 4) I agree with the billboard.

Are you saying that it's liberal biased?:ohmy: