PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt my Auger/Frankenruger

gb6491
01-22-2014, 11:28 AM
I have a "Frankenruger" pistol I built from AMT, Ruger, and a few other parts.
It's a decent enough gun, but I've had a hankering for a steel MKIII 22/45 without the loaded chamber indicator. To that end, I found a MKIII 22/45 frame and rebuilt the Frankenruger with it.
Before (complete AMT lower, Ruger MKII Target barrel/receiver, AMT bolt, Ruger magazine, Millet rear sight, and a Browning Buck Mark front sight):
http://i40.tinypic.com/2ptuv00.jpg
Now (Ruger MKIII 22/45 lower {with a Volquartsen trigger, Tandemkross disconnect bushing, and a MKII mainspring}, Ruger MKII Target barrel/receiver, Ruger MKII bolt, Ruger magazine, Millet rear sight, and a Browning Buck Mark front sight):
http://i43.tinypic.com/1z22em0.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/14lsweq.jpg

Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
01-22-2014, 11:49 AM
Very nice. I had no idea that AMT and Ruger crossed over. Love the finished product, well done as usual.

gb6491
01-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Thanks Bawanna:)
Most of the AMT parts will interchange with Ruger MKIIs. There are some exceptions: one I remember right now is that the AMT trigger axis pin is held in with a "C" clip, MKII's use a frame mounted spring. Older Ruger Standards and MKIs used a "C" clip but it's on the opposite end as the AMT.
Regards,
Greg

berettabone
01-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Actually looks pretty high tech.............................better grip angle...........very nice.

jocko
01-22-2014, 01:09 PM
heh GB ws there any patent infringment when this happened. It sure would seem so.

I never knew tht..

I gues if Ruger can copy the kel tek, AMT can copy the ruger. Just sayin

Bawanna
01-22-2014, 01:17 PM
Quit hanging around your daughter you old goat, your starting to sound like a bottom feeding lawyer and even your goats aren't gonna stand for that.

Bawanna
01-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Dang I feel better already, been a long time since I got a full top rope body slam on Jocko. Felt really good!

jocko
01-22-2014, 01:23 PM
We sold a few of their hairballer, every one if I remember had to go back, they were good at copying, but not good at reliablility. I will remember those comments colonel, they are stored in my pr!ck sotrage files, course ur not alone in there either.

Bawanna
01-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Might want to make copies of my files, I'm sure they are well worn and tattered.

I think I was the reason you started that file in the first place, it might of been Muggsy and I don't want to steal his glory if it was him. Everyone needs their badge of honor ya know.

jocko
01-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Muggsy came after u. I remember when they made u a mod even, u wold not talk to me for 6 months. Actual the best 6 fokking months of y life and then like a hmmroid, U CAME BACK. uggsy I can just tell hi to go hide in a corner for a week and he dissappears. U seem to feed of of adversity. thats OK I am ron Indiana and we are used to people like u fro the far far west, where city mayors are open ****'s. No pride in Washington people. Bronchos are gooonna send that mouthy black corner back to seattle with his legs stuck up his ass to. I bet his momma and daddy (who ever hemight be) was real proud of his verbalization to. Kinda made me feel proud to be WHITE after hearing his rampage..Now don't get to confused here colonel for I said soe real deep serious thought here that might take u some time to actuly figure out what I said, so u can report back a week or so from now and I willunderstand. U can also PM muggs as he willbe out of his corner by now to.

gb6491
01-22-2014, 01:39 PM
heh GB ws there any patent infringment when this happened. It sure would seem so.

I never knew tht..

I gues if Ruger can copy the kel tek, AMT can copy the ruger. Just sayin
Ruger did take them to court and won. AMT ceased production of their Lightning pistols (and uppers) and paid some damages to Ruger. Oddly, both parties did come to an agreement that allowed AMT to keep producing their Lightning 25/22 rifle (http://www.gunauction.com/buy/7609257/rifles-for-sale/semi-auto-rifle/amt-lightning-25-22-rifle-stainless-synthetic-rare).
http://www.americanrifleman.org/blogs/Trade-Dress/

It's a shame they couldn't get together and produce a pistol. The AMT guns had some neat features and great barrels. The one I have is a tack driver:
http://i37.tinypic.com/28i8f1e.jpg
Regards,
Greg

b4uqzme
01-22-2014, 02:55 PM
You build some neat sh!t gb. Thanks for sharing. It kinda inspires me to start trying some stuff. We'll see. But don't hold your breath.

berettabone
01-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Just for grins, there is someone in Wisconsin on Armslist selling an AMT Auto Mag III........9mm Winchester Mag............FYI

jocko
01-22-2014, 05:05 PM
Its so odd that a gun maker wold think they cold get away with that crap though. Ruger knew they could get away with it on their jcopy of the kel tek for George Kelgreen never patented the little kt's, so it was fielders choice, but one would surely know that Ruger would havbe covered all bases befor ethey ever even made their first gun.

I never seen a 22 amt semi when I had my business, Only the hairballers, and they didnt do good for us at all. They were one of the first I think to make a stainless hairballer. Looked nice, just didn't function for jack sh!t..Course back in those days one expeced and got perfect reliability right out of the box, Not sure that AMT didnt start the trend of RETURN TO SENDER. I know I did but utter than the jennings and ttans etc, the good quality gus we sold back then, good name guns, just WORKED right out of the box. Today is seems that is not so with ANY MAKER

gb6491
01-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I had a Hardballer back in the day. It wasn't the best 1911 style pistol I've owned, but it did work. I think I just got lucky with whatever I was using to lubricate it back then. It seems galling was the major problem with them. My buddy still has it and it runs fine for him, but it does have a carbon steel slide on it now.:D
Speaking of their .22s
I had one of the AutoMags in .22 Magnum. It was picky as to what ammo it would run with and was very, very loud. Muzzle flash was something to behold.. Did I mention it was loud:(
I still have a .22LR "Back Up". It's a fun little plinker and runs quite well when clean. I just wouldn't trust it as a backup.;)
http://i39.tinypic.com/4rvkso.jpg

b4ugzme, Thanks!:)

Regards,
Greg

jocko
01-22-2014, 06:08 PM
hell I forgot bout ll the models they mae even, tanks for briging them back to me. I want to think they were one of the pioneersof the stainless 1911's back then and as we know, some pioneers failed to make the whoe trip tothe West..

CJB
01-22-2014, 08:10 PM
I had a very early Hardballer. Wanted the Skipper (Commander), but they could not be had for love nor money.

First series Hardballer were... weird. They were styled after the Gold Cup. But the wide Gold Cup trigger didn't fit. AMT had their own size. They also came with the same sights used on most of the Ruger's of the day. The barrels were very very soft steel. Stainless, but soft. Yuri Geller could have bent 'em easily.
The slides and frames were the same steel, had some galling problems, and you had to keep them well lubed. Grip safeties were also an odd size, but you could get oversize from Kings back then, and file them to fit. We're talking mid 1970's first run AMT's. And yes Jocko, they were the first stainless 45 auto (aka 1911) to hit the market. I shot the barrel out of mine in about 2000 rounds. The lugs on top were down to nothingness. A new barrel got fit, and the pistol shot pretty well after that. I eneded up selling it to a guy who worked at the range for $250 bucks, which is the same as I paid for it as I remember.