PDA

View Full Version : New from MI, bought used CM9 (problem)

tc scout
01-24-2014, 04:45 PM
Hello members,
Just bought a used CM9, my first Kahr pistol.
Always like to join forums for the pistols that I own, best place to converse with others that have more knowledge of each firearm.

As I said, my CM9 was bought used. Have not shot it yet, but while cleaning and inspecting I noticed a disturbing problem. The pistol does not show any wear except for the trigger bar where it extends up to engage the slide. Don't really know what you call it, slide detent on the trigger bar I guess. Anyway this is all chewed up and worn badly.
Upon inspection of the slide I noticed 2 burrs where the frame was milled out where this detent sits in the slide channel. I am pretty certain the burrs were the cause of the trigger bar to get badly worn.
Is this a common problem? Had I noticed it before purchase I would not have bought it. I am sure it is worn to the point where it might not push the detent down. Not a good way to start off with a new manufacturer.
I contacted Kahr by E-mail to see if they would cover the trigger bar under warranty but haven't heard anything from them.
Anyhow, glad to be a member. Hope my terminology explains the problem correctly.

CJB
01-24-2014, 08:20 PM
The section of trigger bar you're referring to is most often called the disconnector. Its purpose is to prevent firing before the slide is in its proper position. These can get a little gnawed looking, and a burr can be the culprit. I had a burr in that spot you're describing on the slide, but instead of some wear on the trigger bar, I was getting shaved polymer when I took off the slide for cleaning. I've got a nice Grobet warding file that made quick work of it. Just a plug: Grobet arguably makes the worlds best files, as they are sharp and tough. They're so sharp in fact, that you can do lots of intricate metal inletting with them. Mostly, they're used by mold makers and for basic "tool and die" work. You'll pay upward of $35-$55 for one file with a file surface thats 1/4 inch wide, maybe 1/32 thick, and about an inch long. And its worth every penny when you need it!

Pictures would help to determine the extent of concern for your trigger bar. Post some?

tc scout
01-25-2014, 03:08 AM
The section of trigger bar you're referring to is most often called the disconnector. Its purpose is to prevent firing before the slide is in its proper position. These can get a little gnawed looking, and a burr can be the culprit. I had a burr in that spot you're describing on the slide, but instead of some wear on the trigger bar, I was getting shaved polymer when I took off the slide for cleaning. I've got a nice Grobet warding file that made quick work of it. Just a plug: Grobet arguably makes the worlds best files, as they are sharp and tough. They're so sharp in fact, that you can do lots of intricate metal inletting with them. Mostly, they're used by mold makers and for basic "tool and die" work. You'll pay upward of $35-$55 for one file with a file surface thats 1/4 inch wide, maybe 1/32 thick, and about an inch long. And its worth every penny when you need it!

Pictures would help to determine the extent of concern for your trigger bar. Post some?
Thanks CJB,
Think we are talking the same part. Have already cleaned up the slide where the burrs were. The part in question is worn down to about half its original thickness. I also think it binds when removing the slide.

I can't post pictures being a new member. I just went and ordered a new trigger bar instead of waiting on Kahr to respond.
Hoping this is a keeper, like it better in hand than my Beretta. Don't want to shoot it before the trigger bar is replaced, everything else looks great.

TucsonMTB
01-25-2014, 12:32 PM
Thanks CJB,
Think we are talking the same part. Have already cleaned up the slide where the burrs were. The part in question is worn down to about half its original thickness. I also think it binds when removing the slide.

I can't post pictures being a new member. I just went and ordered a new trigger bar instead of waiting on Kahr to respond.
Hoping this is a keeper, like it better in hand than my Beretta. Don't want to shoot it before the trigger bar is replaced, everything else looks great.
While cleaning both of my PM40's, I have occasionally marveled at how much the upper edge of the disconnector looks like it was hand filed, and not very carefully, during manufacture. Mine were purchased new and looked like that from day one. The upper roughly three sixteenths almost narrows to a knife edge. In other words, it is not wear, it is just the way Kahr shapes this stamped metal part.

Once you get out to shoot it, you will find it works just fine.

Oh, and the "binding" you feel when removing the slide is normal too. Like the guy at the used car dealership says when you complain about that engine noise that eventually turns out to be a broken rod, "They all do that." But, in this case it is true. No worries!

Kahr probably needs to invest in some of the files that CJB uses. ;)

http://viewsfromtucson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Kahr-40-Disconnector-Croppe.jpg

tc scout
01-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Thanks TucsonMTB,
Good to know that is the way it is supposed to be. The gun doesn't show any wear, slide, barrel Etc. Must say of all the handguns I own and have owned I have never seen anything that ragged from the factory. In fact all of them look just the way they were stamped out with maybe a little polish job. I wonder why the top is so thin.
Oh well, I guess I will just have an extra trigger connecter. :D Really like the gun, hope it runs fine. Its so dang cold here I don't know when I'll brave the range. Hate losing my brass in the snow too. :biggrin1:
Thanks Again,
tc

While cleaning both of my PM40's, I have occasionally marveled at how much the upper edge of the disconnector looks like it was hand filed, and not very carefully, during manufacture. Mine were purchased new and looked like that from day one. The upper roughly three sixteenths almost narrows to a knife edge. In other words, it is not wear, it is just the way Kahr shapes this stamped metal part.

Once you get out to shoot it, you will find it works just fine.

Oh, and the "binding" you feel when removing the slide is normal too. Like the guy at the used car dealership says when you complain about that engine noise that eventually turns out to be a broken rod, "They all do that." But, in this case it is true. No worries!

Kahr probably needs to invest in some of the files that CJB uses. ;)

Bill
02-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Hate losing my brass in the snow too. :biggrin1:
Thanks Again,
tc

Me too. Hardly ever happens here on the west coast of Florida though, thankfully.