PDA

View Full Version : Knife Sharpener System

knkali
01-25-2014, 08:03 AM
http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/images/WSKTS-KO-z.jpg

muggsy
01-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Looks a bit more complicated than my Arkansas stone. :)

knkali
01-25-2014, 08:14 AM
I found a great professional knife sharpener in Washington that I used to sharpen my knives. The work was outstanding and any system I can buy wont get me to his level and speed. However, I found that the inconvenience didn't allow me to utilize his services. Therefore my knives were dull most of the time. SO I tried sharpening systems that I could use. Each had t strengths and weaknesses. The weaknesses were time needed to get a good edge. Again, spending an hour on an EDC to get an edge like the pros isn't convenient, so my knives were always dull. Then I got the Work Sharp Ken Onion edition sharpener. What a great find. The edges are very good working edges, nothing outstanding like a well done beveled edge. Instead this system only can produce a convex edge. However, with little practice, I can sharpen many knives in time it took to do one knife with other systems with a functional edge quality not much less either---IOWs the knives are sharp. The tool provides a nice balance between speed and easy to reproduce consistency. I have sharp knives in the house now.

knkali
01-25-2014, 08:18 AM
Looks a bit more complicated than my Arkansas stone. :)

I have spent hours on Ark stones and find that it is a perishable skill to use well and expediently. Ark stones seem great for touch ups and not reconditioning an edge that I usually present with. Therefore, they must be used a lot to keep a good edge. Because of that, I seldom used them.

knkali
01-25-2014, 09:18 AM
I don't have stock in the company but here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Yl_Z-oRkU

Chuck54
01-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Looks like a belt sander. I try to not let my knives get in too bad of shape before sharpening them.

Tilos
01-25-2014, 10:51 AM
On the bottom of just about every coffee mug is a raised section/rim of unglazed ceramic that I use as a knife sharpener;)
I also use some Dawn dish soap as a lube...won't work on serrated blades though:o

queevil
01-25-2014, 12:26 PM
I have a Lansky system with three different stones that I use to repair blades or to set an angle. In most situations I use the medium and fine Arkansas stones on my tri hone. The only hard thing about free hand sharpening on a stone is keeping the same angle throughout the stroke of the blade across the stone on each side of the blade. Go slow to get a feel for it. Once you can find the correct angle and keep it you're golden. I tend to touch up the blade with about 10 strokes on each side of the blade of my Benchmark edc knife after every use. It says in excellent condition that way.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

ripley16
01-25-2014, 02:37 PM
I use a Chef's Choice 130. Works well.

downtownv
01-25-2014, 03:16 PM
've got so many types of sharpeners, I have a sharpener that sharpens my sharpener!
I have diamond stones, spyderco, sticks, water/oil stones on various graduations. They all work great but This one called the Hewlett Jewelstik is great (Get the longer one) if you can find it. I bought it at a Harley rally years ago...
I also have this crazy set-up that was on a charter boat fishing offshore in NJ I asked where he got it. Warthogsharperners The V Sharp It has 3 angles for edges 17 degrees, 21 degrees and 34 degrees. V-Sharp Classic II | V-Sharp
http://www.v-sharp.com/product/classic-ii/
This is today's version the older model was really quality made. I'm sure the results will be the same, however.
It's foolproof and geared to the guy that can't hone an edge. It's about $100 and Mine is about 15 years old and works great!

Captquest
01-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Funny you bring this up. I just started getting into knives a little and have spent the last couple of days learning to sharpen (properly). I have been working with stones and doing it freehand, then stropping on a leather material. I got good results using glass too. I think learning the basics is important. I restored an old filet knife I was using as an all purpose tool, it was in bad shape. I polished the blade and put a new edge on it, pretty sharp, but not scary sharp.
I really like the Worksharp Field Sharpener too, sold at Northern Freight.

340pd
01-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Spyderco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB0r6GvESGg&lc=_52BWZF-EYnoxACggm782LakqnOxNzSx89IfWf5g-Ck&feature=inbox

downtownv
01-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Spyderco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB0r6GvESGg&lc=_52BWZF-EYnoxACggm782LakqnOxNzSx89IfWf5g-Ck&feature=inbox

Got that one among my large collection of sharpeners. Works well drawback requires several reconfigurations.....:40:

AJBert
01-25-2014, 07:45 PM
I've had a WorkSharp for a couple of years now and love it. It truly will sharpen any edged tool/knife you have. First use for it was on my machete. Sharpest that thing has EVER been! Much sharper than it truly needs to be if I'm being honest.

That being said, my hunting/skinning knives I still use my Lansky. I'm not about to lose the edge on them. All other knives? I use the WorkSharp, including my hoe when I use it for cutting weeds rather than moving dirt.

CJB
01-25-2014, 07:52 PM
lots depend on original angle, and single vs double edge. knife sharpening is the art of the applied science of grinding metal.

MD_Vet
01-27-2014, 09:42 AM
For quick touch ups on an edge this little tools is amazing...

http://www.speedysharp.net/

garyb
01-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Being a hobby taxidermist and because I cut up about 5 deer every year, I have become very proficient using oil stones, diamond stones, diamond stick, Smiths diamond and ceramic device, or ceramic sticks. Sharpening a knife or broadheads for bow hunting is not at all difficult. I taught my 10 yr old nephew to do it. I guess you could put about any sharpening device in my hands and I could get a good edge on the tool. Granted, not everyone can get the handle on keeping the angle right. I've watched the commercial for the worksharp and this tool probably has some good applications. It simply did not seem to be something I'd spend my money on if I have everything I need currently to get the sharpening jobs done right. It looks like it would work well for axes and lawn mower blades. I currently use a good metal file for both of those applications with great results. I've watched folks use a lansky and they do work well, but it seems to me to be unnecessary and more a hassle to set it up. I guess the best thing to do is to find something that works well for you and keep those edges sharp and functional. Who cares what you use, as long as you can get yourself a good edge all the time?

dkmatthews
01-27-2014, 03:45 PM
In my experience, it's harder to teach someone the proper pressure to use (LIGHT) than it is to teach angle consistency when sharpening on an Arkansas stone.

Most people grind the hell out of the blade against the stone and wonder why it either takes so damned long to get an edge or why they never get an edge at all.

knkali
01-28-2014, 10:58 PM
there is an ancient Japanese art to sharpening. I forgot the name of it. But it is a Zen like process.

downtownv
01-29-2014, 02:19 AM
there is an ancient Japanese art to sharpening. I forgot the name of it. But it is a Zen like process.

Looky https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO7KdLZY7fQ

timmy
01-29-2014, 04:13 AM
I like my Spyderco Sharpmaker