PDA

View Full Version : Another new Kahr owner

DavidR
01-25-2014, 08:22 AM
I am a new Kahr CW9 owner.

I'm relatively new to handguns but also own a Taurus 38 Special and a Glock 27 (40 caliber). While the Glock is a fine firearm I decided it was not the firearm for me. I'm a small man with small hands and the double stack Glock magazine is just too chubby for me to get a good grip on and I found that I was experiencing hand pain after firing the Glock at the range. I looked at the single stack 9s and picked up a new CW9 at my local Shoot Straight.

I didn't come across the "prep" instructions until after my first range trip so there was no prep before taking it to the range. I did read the instructions thoroughly, especially regarding chambering the first round and followed the instructions for using the slide release.

First trip to the range I put 50 rounds of PMC 115 grain fmj and 20 rounds of Aguila 117 grain jhp through it. I'm not much of a marksman so I can't comment on accuracy. I will say that I liked the trigger, the recoil wasn't bad at all and my hand did not hurt at all afterward. Overall I was very pleased but I did have 2 instances of failure to chamber the first round even when using the slide release. Other than that, no problems. No failure to feed after the first round, no failure to eject and the slide stayed open after the magazine was empty. I took it home and cleaned and lubricated it.

Second trip to the range I put 100 rounds of either Remington or Winchester fmj (I can't remember which but its the white box stuff they sell at the range) and 30 rounds of PMC 115 grain fmj. Once again I was very pleased. I did have one failure to chamber the first round (using the slide release) but other than that performance was flawless.

So I now have 200 rounds through it. I've read a bunch about chambering the first round and think it's possible or even likely that I wasn't holding the gun firmly when I released the slide. Next time I go the range I will be focusing more on holding it firmly when releasing the slide. I've also seen that polishing the feed ramp may help but I don't have a Dremel.

So overall I'm really happy. I like how it feels and how it shoots and I'm attributing the fail to chamber to the shooter not the gun.

Dave

Alfonse
01-25-2014, 08:43 AM
You don't need a Dremel to polish the feed ramp. Some polish, like Mother's Mag Wheel polish, on a soft rag will bring it to a mirror like finish in just a few minutes. Enjoy your new pistol!

berettabone
01-25-2014, 09:12 AM
I am a new Kahr CW9 owner.

I'm relatively new to handguns but also own a Taurus 38 Special and a Glock 27 (40 caliber). While the Glock is a fine firearm I decided it was not the firearm for me. I'm a small man with small hands and the double stack Glock magazine is just too chubby for me to get a good grip on and I found that I was experiencing hand pain after firing the Glock at the range. I looked at the single stack 9s and picked up a new CW9 at my local Shoot Straight.

I didn't come across the "prep" instructions until after my first range trip so there was no prep before taking it to the range. I did read the instructions thoroughly, especially regarding chambering the first round and followed the instructions for using the slide release.

First trip to the range I put 50 rounds of PMC 115 grain fmj and 20 rounds of Aguila 117 grain jhp through it. I'm not much of a marksman so I can't comment on accuracy. I will say that I liked the trigger, the recoil wasn't bad at all and my hand did not hurt at all afterward. Overall I was very pleased but I did have 2 instances of failure to chamber the first round even when using the slide release. Other than that, no problems. No failure to feed after the first round, no failure to eject and the slide stayed open after the magazine was empty. I took it home and cleaned and lubricated it.

Second trip to the range I put 100 rounds of either Remington or Winchester fmj (I can't remember which but its the white box stuff they sell at the range) and 30 rounds of PMC 115 grain fmj. Once again I was very pleased. I did have one failure to chamber the first round (using the slide release) but other than that performance was flawless.

So I now have 200 rounds through it. I've read a bunch about chambering the first round and think it's possible or even likely that I wasn't holding the gun firmly when I released the slide. Next time I go the range I will be focusing more on holding it firmly when releasing the slide. I've also seen that polishing the feed ramp may help but I don't have a Dremel.

So overall I'm really happy. I like how it feels and how it shoots and I'm attributing the fail to chamber to the shooter not the gun.

Dave
Welcome..................everybody should have a Dremmelhttp://kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon12.gif